Login

A note from Giancarlo about Acustica pricing schema

General news from Acustica

Re: A note from giancarlo about the pricing schema

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Having been around for a while I found two things rather shocking (and not in a good way) recently, one of them being the pricing of the Fchild compressor. Regardless of everything you say above (which obviously is nothing new to those of us who have been around) here's my reaction:
We (Acustica) finally, after years of trying and experimenting, have an out of the park winner of a compressor that is a sought after classic model (there have been others), sounds amazing (there have been others) and is reasonably easy to use (if it's true this is an innovation). As our way of saying thanks to our customers for supporting the incremental research and development of this compression engine we've decided to charge the maximum possible amount (and then some) the market would bear for a compressor. Now…nobody is arguing that you can't do that or that it's not your right; but it's kind of a jerk move. It's what we would expect of people who think of us as assets and marketing targets. If that's what Acustica's growth has led to then so be it but it's hard to see that as a positive across the board.

Pearl…well that's just some stupid shit man. Creating an artificial scarcity on a digital product to drive the market value. Do you make plugins for people who are looking for audio tools or run bizarre social experiments? The only thing sadder to me is that people went along with it.

And while people are busy beating off to all these overpriced Acquas some of the best Nebula libraries ever have been released to little fanfare.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby theheliosequence » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Loving the sound and appreciate the sub $300 price range over here... and the stuff around or under $100?!? Thank you guys!

I second the customer loyalty program idea. I know there are a company or two (Fab-Filter and Voxengo come to mind) that when you check out... there is an automatic discount based on how many of their products you own. I hope you can implement something like that, because then I can afford to keep buying your plugins! :-)
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, Burl Mothership
N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Blue, Coral, Emerald, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp Bundle, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White
theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Postby bruce8306 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:58 pm

I start to using Acustica plugins this year.
I like your attitude.
Hope to see more COOL stuffs.

Best wishes!
Bruce
###
iMac2015 /4.0Ghz Inter Core i7/ 16Gb memory/OSX 10.11.5
###
interface: RME UFX/PrismSound Lyra2
###
ADDA:FERROFISH A16 MK-II
###
Studio One Pro 3.2(64bit)/Reaper 5.3(64bit)/Protools 11.3
bruce8306
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:01 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Having been around for a while I found two things rather shocking (and not in a good way) recently, one of them being the pricing of the Fchild compressor. Regardless of everything you say above (which obviously is nothing new to those of us who have been around) here's my reaction:
We (Acustica) finally, after years of trying and experimenting, have an out of the park winner of a compressor that is a sought after classic model (there have been others), sounds amazing (there have been others) and is reasonably easy to use (if it's true this is an innovation). As our way of saying thanks to our customers for supporting the incremental research and development of this compression engine we've decided to charge the maximum possible amount (and then some) the market would bear for a compressor. Now…nobody is arguing that you can't do that or that it's not your right; but it's kind of a jerk move. It's what we would expect of people who think of us as assets and marketing targets. If that's what Acustica's growth has led to then so be it but it's hard to see that as a positive across the board.

Pearl…well that's just some stupid shit man. Creating an artificial scarcity on a digital product to drive the market value. Do you make plugins for people who are looking for audio tools or run bizarre social experiments? The only thing sadder to me is that people went along with it.

And while people are busy beating off to all these overpriced Acquas some of the best Nebula libraries ever have been released to little fanfare.

about our releases: I don't know if you ever noticed it, but ALL our releases are different. One of them is a pricey dream. One of them is a product released in limited amounts. One is the first homebrew product. One is the first acustica multiband compressor. One of the is the first low cpu mastering equalizer. One of them is the first compressor based on complex sidechain/routing/compressor tech. Then there is our first mixing strip channel. And so on. Starting from "blue", ALL our releases have a meaning! Even products have a particular name: they are ALL colors! did you notice it?
Even our presentations are all different each from the other one! There is an "idea" each time, a new idea each time.

If you look at things, there is a lot of planning in these release. We as company could create easily acqua plugins in big numbers and low prices, but it is not what we are doing. We are not releasing "garbage". Each new release is a new bet!!
There is not a single reason for creating AN OTHER LIMITED PRODUCT. How boring would it be? let we leave the "repetition" to other companies!!!!!!!!!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby NoNameComesInMind » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:07 pm

ngarjuna wrote:

i'm going for an input on this;
if you're referring to social experiments, and the "feel special" kind of thing i think it's somewhat justified in a sense - when i started the trial on PEArL i could already tell the high-shelf was going to be over the top even though the band was broken just by listening how tense the midrange sounded, i have a sense of visualising the whole spectrum when i hear the "tensor" of a unit - meanwhile people were already asking all kind of things related to questions already answered and did not seem to care to much other than that their 600k dollar studio was lacking yet another "hardware" unit and that they'd missed out, - I took a bite of that cake, and i was not hesitant at all! - Ultramarine is the same thing, it has the same pricing as other companies and how many people own a real one? the price is right.
the sound is right.

it's even less than i predicted (hopefully they'll stay around that range even though their super-special units).
EQualizer, Nebula, Coffee.
NoNameComesInMind

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:13 pm

well, just to be clear on the point, when you go in a studio which is the most expensive unit? I would guess the ultramarine hardware. So there is not need for a more expensive product in our line. We range from 30 to 300, and this concept was finally the reason for the chosen price. It is an easy number. Than we make 3% of the value. A lot of 3. So the highest price was settled to 300.

There is a lot of geometry in our products and in our code. We are using colors for the acqua line, and 3 for the price bounds. So you can guess an acqua plug will never be more expensive than 300. Because the number above would be 3000, which is not a good commercial choice for a software plugin.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby theheliosequence » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:15 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Pearl…well that's just some stupid shit man. Creating an artificial scarcity on a digital product to drive the market value. Do you make plugins for people who are looking for audio tools or run bizarre social experiments? The only thing sadder to me is that people went along with it.

Only they didn't sell for a ridiculous amount of money and the only sad people seem to be the ones that didn't get... Which I can understand if it potentially upset some people.

I personally would be bummed if I didn't have it (in retrospect)... It's really incredible!

I hope that as their user base grows and if they do another limited run... they potentially sell more than 100 next time. I'd hate for it to turn out that one missed their favorite hardware recreation because they were at work and didn't see the e-mail until it was too late...

Or perhaps, if a user has purchased enough items, they could have access to purchase a non-serial version of Pearl?
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, Burl Mothership
N3S/N4, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Blue, Coral, Emerald, Green, Honey, Ivory, Lime, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp Bundle, Purple, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White
theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:41 pm

theheliosequence wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:Pearl…well that's just some stupid shit man. Creating an artificial scarcity on a digital product to drive the market value. Do you make plugins for people who are looking for audio tools or run bizarre social experiments? The only thing sadder to me is that people went along with it.

Only they didn't sell for a ridiculous amount of money and the only sad people seem to be the ones that didn't get... Which I can understand if it potentially upset some people.

I personally would be bummed if I didn't have it (in retrospect)... It's really incredible!

I hope that as their user base grows and if they do another limited run... they potentially sell more than 100 next time. I'd hate for it to turn out that one missed their favorite hardware recreation because they were at work and didn't see the e-mail until it was too late...

Or perhaps, if a user has purchased enough items, they could have access to purchase a non-serial version of Pearl?

Maybe you could explain what the benefit of this stupid artificial limitation is? "The only people who seem to think" it's a great idea are the 100 people who jumped on. Everyone else is left wondering who the * came up with an idea so arbitrarily stupid? Really if pEARL is as great as you say then they're explicitly costing themselves money. So how is it a good thing exactly? How does the limitation of its sales make it more useful to you?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:00 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Maybe you could explain what the benefit of this stupid artificial limitation is? "The only people who seem to think" it's a great idea are the 100 people who jumped on. Everyone else is left wondering who the * came up with an idea so arbitrarily stupid? Really if pEARL is as great as you say then they're explicitly costing themselves money. So how is it a good thing exactly? How does the limitation of its sales make it more useful to you?

I feel that the promotional benefits of doing something special would have been just as effective if the first 100 customers got a personalized skin as they did, and that's all. The first 100 would still feel like they own something that nobody else owns - because they would. Limiting it to 100 copies of the software serves no benefit to anyone, including Acustica, the 100 customers or the customers that would like this product but cannot purchase it.

As a disclaimer, I am neither one of the 100, nor am I one of the ones who wants it but cannot purchase it. It doesn't have what I want in an EQ, just personally.

I would actually be willing to bet that Acustica could poll the 100 individuals who purchased this and the vast majority would vote to 'allow' full release with a generic skin so anyone else could purchase it. At this point, I would actually feel it would be a classy move by Acustica because it would show yet again that they listen to and respond to their customers.

Perhaps it would cause some negative 'churn' on the purple site with folks who like to criticize everything they see, but that is not a bad thing because if anyone is talking about you, it's great. There would still be people praising this as a classy move, and that is gold.

Ginacarlo, I am not presuming to instruct you on business matters of course, just participating in an open discussion, as you always seem to be receptive to your customers. With much respect.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:15 pm

well, when I started the company I though that money was the only limitation at that time. I was a poor producer, and I was not able to buy a S*L console
But during these years I see money is not an issue any more, there is good software around. What I see it is a sort of globalization of tools
For example you go in a little recordig facility and you find that rare vintage iron crap, and the studio owner tells you it is pure magic.
I though something similar in the software realm
Someone nowday even starts a subscription model, and I think it will drive the whole business quicky to the ruin. Hardware was safe for a long time cause legendary and unique tools. It is not a matter of price, but being at the right time and place and buying or collecting something straordinary.
When you have something special you feel more confident and you even feel yourself invested of the responsability of producing better music
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements