Login

Titanium dbfs meters but no trim - gain staging?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Re: Titanium dbfs meters but no trim - gain staging?

Postby giancarlo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Only harmonic distortion, but it is very important for the whole result
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:16 pm

OK, thanks a lot for the clarification.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby tiansolo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Just a heads up. Not all nebula programs are calibrated the same. E.g. G2500 already has -18db trim as default: therefore you hit it at 0dbfs. Whereas most other Nebula programs do not have this: therefore some gain staging is necessary beforehand. The developers sometimes specify.

In this case, I was confused because the meters in titanium are dbfs. In my very personal (in this case, wrong) opinion, this implies that it is calibrated to take signals at 0dbfs. My thinking is that the meters should have been VU, which would show a 0dbfs signal overloading the plugin and indicate to the user to adjust accordingly. But there are also downsides to this approach.

In a perfect world, I'd like titanium to be like the other newer acquas: trim knob included and loading the plugin at -18dbfs by default.
tiansolo
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:20 pm

And a meter we can rely on. Should be in N4.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:09 pm

tiansolo wrote:Just a heads up. Not all nebula programs are calibrated the same. E.g. G2500 already has -18db trim as default: therefore you hit it at 0dbfs. Whereas most other Nebula programs do not have this: therefore some gain staging is necessary beforehand. The developers sometimes specify.

In this case, I was confused because the meters in titanium are dbfs. In my very personal (in this case, wrong) opinion, this implies that it is calibrated to take signals at 0dbfs. My thinking is that the meters should have been VU, which would show a 0dbfs signal overloading the plugin and indicate to the user to adjust accordingly. But there are also downsides to this approach.

In a perfect world, I'd like titanium to be like the other newer acquas: trim knob included and loading the plugin at -18dbfs by default.

the real issue with this approach is that in the multiband case people find the trim knob confusing, so we tried to create a device which is working even at 0dBFS without strange controls. It happens because most of multiband plug-ins are not "vintage", but "digital" ones. An other point is that in the titanium case levels are safe till 0dBFS, because the big headroom you have in the hardware. Other point, generally you don't use a multiband compressor for shaping harmonics. We added harmonics only for a better realism - they are not there for shaping the tone.

Said that, if you respect gain staging it will be better. My idea is to follow the titanium approach in other multiband releases, while keeping the input-trim approach on everything else (eq, compressors, and now strip channels).
Anyway we are open to suggestions.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Previous

Return to Titanium