Login

Titanium dbfs meters but no trim - gain staging?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Titanium dbfs meters but no trim - gain staging?

Postby tiansolo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:25 am

Hi,

Many forum posts re gain staging refer to Nebula and the Acquas with trim control.

How is it suggested to be done in titanium? Should we still try to hit titatanium at -18dbfs rms, -12dbfs peak? Or because the meters are dbfs is there an internal trim set up for us to hit it at 0dbfs peak?

Because I haven't heard the hardware I'm unsure if some compression behaviours are expected or caused by my own error.

Side note, can the dynamics and harmonics response be considered in the same character ballpark as CL1B? Ofc referring to the 1 band version.

Thanks! :D
tiansolo
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Titanium dbfs meters but no trim - gain staging?

Postby giancarlo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:53 am

Yes! Exactly, -18
We sampled both a singleband and a multiband compressor, they were merged. The product is not aimed to be a digital copy, though.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby tiansolo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Thank you!
I started off hitting it at 0dbfs peak and loved the smashing/pumping. For a long time I thought this was the compressors 'character' and only reached it for this task.

After reading some forum posts I tried -18dbfs for bass synths. Wow! The added weight is very heavy, but somehow natural and classy. Made me realize how sensitive this baby is, the sweet spot is often very narrow but when you find it - simply amazing. Much easier with proper gain staging.
tiansolo
User Level III
User Level III

Postby giancarlo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:21 am

yes exactly!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:35 pm

Just to make sure I got it right : -18 dB FS peak or RMS ?

Thanks.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:51 am

Fs means ful scale, -18 dbFS can only mean full scale. When you see dbu the it is RMS. When they talk about anslog gear how it requires 0dbu that also means -18dbfs but can also be different from meter to meter, depending on calibration.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Support » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:37 am

Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:36 pm

basaristudios@gmail.com wrote:Fs means ful scale, -18 dbFS can only mean full scale. When you see dbu the it is RMS. When they talk about anslog gear how it requires 0dbu that also means -18dbfs but can also be different from meter to meter, depending on calibration.

Hey Basari and Enrique, I am aware of the FS, VU, etc..., but not about calibration. So should we hit the plug at -18 dBFS peak or RMS ? -18 dBFS should be the max we are hitting the comp, or the average ? And if the average, what excursion around it can we afford to stay in the normal behaviour of the unit ? 5 dB, 10 dB, 15 dB ?

Thanks.
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:00 pm

dBFS, so the maximum peak level. But most of hardware sounds good if you are above 0dBu, there is an headroom till +22dBu sometimes or even more. But proper gainstaging helps in order to get hamonic distortion more controlled, nebula is not capable of heavy distortion so it will sound sigly better.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Avgatzeblouz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi Giancarlo, thanks for chiming in. What can we expect as a result of hitting very low the comp, or very hard ? Is it just in the harmonic distortion content that the difference will be, or in the behaviour of the unit ? And I guess we can expand this to any Nebula-based stuff, right ?
Avgatzeblouz
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to Titanium