Login

Compression behaviour

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Compression behaviour

Postby zaminx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:16 pm

I have been using Titanium for a couple of weeks now and I am finding the compression way to sensitive no matter the source. I have been engineering for 25 years+ so I have used plenty of hardware compressors in my time. Titanium seems to be all or nothing and is extremely sensitive to the point of ridiculous. the unit Titanium is inspired from can easily be set up to compress as smooth as butter no grabby and pumpy. Any thoughts on this Acustica ?
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Compression behaviour

Postby giancarlo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:54 pm

Compression amount is a bit higher than the amount displayed by meters. So it pumps: simply it is compressing too much. The effect was described by bmanic somewhere. We'll keep working on improving products and compression. On the other side the tone is there
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby zaminx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Agreed the tone is there but I have plenty of tones already with Nebula Pro.
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:43 am

Yes but this is the only multiband compressor!
It could be sensitive, but you have way more control than similar hardware, since you can monitor a single band at once, and you have visual feedback about what you are doing. It is an extremely powerful tool, and it is quite alone in its category (sampled freq and harmonic resp, multiband, sampled shapes).
There is also a little aliasing, and crossovers do not destroy your audio like most of crossovers do. Isn't it enough?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Barendse » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:43 am

To my ears this is an amazing tool. I always use it with very subtle settings. I never let a band compress more than 1dB and the ratio stays always at 1,5. It can open up a mix in a way I've never heard before.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 am

there is an awesome reply from bmanic on kvraudio which sums up everything: this tool is amazing when you dial SMALL settings, like you would do with common hardware in a mastering case.
It is not just a "tone". It is a complex interaction, "Multiband" interaction and the effect is not just coloring.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby zaminx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

giancarlo wrote:there is an awesome reply from bmanic on kvraudio which sums up everything: this tool is amazing when you dial SMALL settings, like you would do with common hardware in a mastering case.
It is not just a "tone". It is a complex interaction, "Multiband" interaction and the effect is not just coloring.

I have read the reply by bmanic on my KVR post

Titanium is a serious tool I am just letting you know what my ears are telling my brain.

As I wrote on KVR I am wondering if there is a problem with the release behaviour. The release seems to jump to quickly bewteen the release times. When I get some more time I will fiddle some more and try to explain better.
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:40 pm

well we are moving quickly: release behaviour of aquamarine is based on a new tech. It is "better" on my point of view, because it takes in account way more variables, if this is the question.
We found a way for getting a more predictable envelope shape, and it is closer to the sampled shape. It is pretty normal: each new product we release is based on new things we developed (ie Core6).

Now there is a different point to consider: in general we change and update products but keeping them as much as backward compatible as possible. So if the question is: will you change the release behaviour in the immediate future, the answer is "no". It would impact the sonic qualities of a product which is already used in production. Unless we release a new version (not backwarkd compatible), which is not planned atm.

My point is that even if we go on and we raise the bar further, the products already released are "valid" tools, there is nothing good or wrong there. Like in the real world it is possible a tool is not suitable for a particular scope: it could be a consequence of both the emulation tech and the emulated model.

Finally: we are not creating clones. We try to create software products which are DIFFERENT and BETTER than other hardware or software, but it is possible sometimes we fail.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby zaminx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Understood

A better release behaviour on a new version would be nice :)
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby theheliosequence » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:32 pm

zaminx wrote:Understood

A better release behaviour on a new version would be nice :)

I haven't experiences anything weird with release times...

Are you doing multi-band or single band?
Win7 64-bit i7 3930K, RME MADI FX, Burl Mothership
Nebula 3 Server, Amber, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Blue, Emerald, Green, Honey, Ivory, Magenta, Navy, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Comp Bundle, Purple Bundle, Sand, Scarlet, Titanium, Ultramarine, White
theheliosequence
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to Titanium