Login

Titanium (multiband compressor)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Re: Titanium (multiband compressor)

Postby tumburu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:53 pm

It's a stupid thing, but anyway, it's the Apple way...

I'm on 10.8.5 and won't 'update' as long as everything works.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Support » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Sorry, this is totally unrealistic. If you buy a new Mac Pro for your studio you can only run 10.9 or 10.10

If you buy a new (Retina) iMac you can only run 10.10

So what's the message here? If you want to use Nebula only use a 3 year old computer?

If you want be a Apple OS beta tester for free go ahead and buy a new Apple computer. Our products were not tested in OSX 10.10 yet, we will wait a bit for a stable version. OSX 10.10 seems to be better than 10.9 but due Apple multiple constant changes, it is hard to accurately ensure that our products will work in the same way that in OSX 10.8 or better or worse.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Support wrote:Sorry, this is totally unrealistic. If you buy a new Mac Pro for your studio you can only run 10.9 or 10.10

If you buy a new (Retina) iMac you can only run 10.10

So what's the message here? If you want to use Nebula only use a 3 year old computer?

If you want be a Apple OS beta tester for free go ahead and buy a new Apple computer. Our products were not tested in OSX 10.10 yet, we will wait a bit for a stable version. OSX 10.10 seems to be better than 10.9 but due Apple multiple constant changes, it is hard to accurately ensure that our products will work in the same way that in OSX 10.8 or better or worse.

That's really a bit unfair. I work for a shop where we often have to buy a new machine either because one of our production machines died or we expanded to a new room or whatever; the owner refuses to buy refurbished computers even having been explained the kludge that all this version deprecating causes. So what do you suggest exactly? I should just not let my business grow so as to maintain my plugin environment? I cannot think of a single other plugin that I own which puts me in a conundrum just for buying a new machine.

I'm not suggesting that Acustica should or shouldn't do anything in regards to Apple but to blame your customer base for totally normal, reasonable behavior is weird.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:55 pm

i don't hear enrique blaming the customer base.

he is just stating the obvious problems small companies (and also bigger ones) are facing, with apples update policy.
there is just not enough time and resources to get updates done fast enough, hence enriques suggestion (i hear it like that), to wait a little bit with updating to a new OS or computer.

this is good practice of many engineers since years, at least having older machines available for backwards compatibility, if things go wrong.
so why put pressure on the ones that can't do anything about it and just have to react to these changes?
many people should write letters to apple and complain at the source ...
(maybe this is already happening and they just don't care??? :roll: )

my two cents,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:03 pm

That's fine and well, I also dislike Apple's methods; but of all the companies I deal with vis-a-vis plugins, most of them very small (some of them even smaller than Acustica) Nebula remains the only plugin I own for which buying a new computer means losing the ability to use the plugin. If every third party was in this situation I think you'd see a lot of the blowback you're speaking of; but as it is, why would Apple take the issue seriously if the scope of the problem is that it mostly affects Acustica users (not a big market in terms of how Apple sees market size)?

And again: not updating is okay if you're using old hardware but what are people supposed to do if they find themselves with a new machine? And how long should one have to wait? IIRC Acustica supported nothing but Snow Leopard until 2014, at one point I believe we were even two OS versions back (supporting 10.6 when 10.8 was released); I think it's stretching the language to call that "a little bit".
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 pm

ngarjuna wrote:That's fine and well, I also dislike Apple's methods; but of all the companies I deal with vis-a-vis plugins, most of them very small (some of them even smaller than Acustica) Nebula remains the only plugin I own for which buying a new computer means losing the ability to use the plugin. If every third party was in this situation I think you'd see a lot of the blowback you're speaking of; but as it is, why would Apple take the issue seriously if the scope of the problem is that it mostly affects Acustica users (not a big market in terms of how Apple sees market size)?

And again: not updating is okay if you're using old hardware but what are people supposed to do if they find themselves with a new machine? And how long should one have to wait? IIRC Acustica supported nothing but Snow Leopard until 2014, at one point I believe we were even two OS versions back (supporting 10.6 when 10.8 was released); I think it's stretching the language to call that "a little bit".

nebula and acqua plugins in general have one of the most incredible requirements on the market. We could build a nosql database with half of the technology we are spending on that - oh well, I'm not joking, we'll release a nosql database soon.

Most of other little companies started with a oiled juce framework and a dsp code you could write in a A4 paper.
But when you handle hundreds or thousands of fir filters in real time the music changes.

In our case we are using heavy multithreading, assembler, crypting libraries, an ancient gui framework to migrate from (we started in 2005, at that time vstgui seemed a good move), and everything makes things crappy and difficoult to handle: heavy queueing, freelock objects, and an engine which is more like a 3d render engine than a plugin. In all this crap, apple likes to release new operating system, forces the shutdown of old technologies and forces the userbase to buy a new computer with a new fantastic yosemite - where even their products like xcode 3.2 don't work any more with a beautiful X on it.
We'll fix things on yousemite too BUT things will be done when they will be done. When you buy a product you buy for the platform it is supported at the moment. You are not buying the support for something which is not released yet. Supporting new operating systems require time, which is proportional with the complexity of the object you are porting.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 pm

saying that, things will be better in the future.
At the beginning of this year our acqua products were not working like normal plugins, nebula was not running at all on most of systems, au64 was a mirage, and the company was handled by a one man band. Website was crappy, support was completely missing, quality was not so good, and a lot of things were not working: ie compressors.

We are moving, we are working hard, and so on. A lot of things changed in few months, and even in few weeks.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 pm

mathias wrote:i don't hear enrique blaming the customer base.

he is just stating the obvious problems small companies (and also bigger ones) are facing, with apples update policy.
there is just not enough time and resources to get updates done fast enough, hence enriques suggestion (i hear it like that), to wait a little bit with updating to a new OS or computer.

this is good practice of many engineers since years, at least having older machines available for backwards compatibility, if things go wrong.
so why put pressure on the ones that can't do anything about it and just have to react to these changes?
many people should write letters to apple and complain at the source ...
(maybe this is already happening and they just don't care??? :roll: )

my two cents,
mathias

no he is blaming apple, not the userbase. This whole apple thingy drives me crazy, I need to change the notebook and I can't because they would force me to use a virtual machine for opening old applications.

I think letters will not change anything. They go on, like a train.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby andiw » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:28 pm

I think we can argue for months here ...

I totally understand your point of view / situation but there's also the customer's situation.

I bought a new Mac Pro and can not afford to keep an old computer for my studio (or Nebula). I need that computer also for web design, video editing, etc...

So, there's always (at least) two sides to the story.
my music: aj-guitar.com
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby mathias » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 pm

that's true, we are all sitting between the chairs somewhat ... :P
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Titanium