Login

Titanium (multiband compressor)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Re: Titanium (multiband compressor)

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:48 am

kylen wrote:I'm pretty pleased with Titanium. Just put 1B on a master (slow attack/fast release) and it really does a fine job of holding things together when I push a bit of high shelf and bass peak thru it. Everything sounds really fine - no "aural vertigo" like I get with so many other ITB compressors when a spurious peak comes thru. Titanium just hums along doing its thing. Very nice job Mr. G & crew. :)

yes are using for the first time chained envelope followers. So they have a sort of memory inside.
Something new, not present on dsp books ;)
But they are like dragster, very powerful but they lack a proper control
It was the thing I was working on lately
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:54 am

it was a complex decision to take. I asked to betas a night for thinking
I had your exact feelings
At the end I think this was a good decision. It makes happy the biggest audience now. It opens to new possibilities not found in original hardware
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby RJHollins » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:29 am

In 'defense' of the super-fast :ugeek: I viewed the solution as 'position 1 is the new zero[0]'. ;)

As a mastering engineer, the 'super zero' setting would rarely [if ever] come to play. However, the needs by others were not to be ignored, thus expanding the base.

Philosophically :o I wondered ... since previous Nebula compressors were often criticized for not being able to perform decisively at 'instantaneous zero', the 'Pandora' that was innocently released became a klammer of eureka to newly discovered Nebula power ... which of course leads to 'world domination', wine, woman ... and, ...... song. :mrgreen:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby filterfilter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:47 am

I am so happy you implemented the superfast attack. I think the relatively slower attack of the original unit would have been a disappointment to me. I use it for mixing electronic music an love to squash transients on many sources
filterfilter
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Hannes_F » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 am

giancarlo wrote:yes yes exactly, it goes very quickly there. But there was not any space left
Here the description

0 - supercompressor
1 - attack 0
1.5 (the point displayed) - attack 1
2 - attack 2
3 - attack 3
4 - attack 4
5 - attack 5

Hi there, I like the superfast option too. Thinking about it perhaps one could design the attack knob with one of these options:

0 - supercompressor
0.5 - attack 0
1.25 - attack 1
2 - attack 2
3 - attack 3
4 - attack 4
5 - attack 5

The reason is that the 0 is very reproducable anyways, we don't necessarily need a full tick to find it.

Alternatively you could perhaps make a knob with 7 ticks like this:

0 - supercompressor
1 - attack 0
2 - attack 1
3 - attack 2
4 - attack 3
5 - attack 4
6 - attack 5

Suggestions ...
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Hannes_F » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:58 am

... and after even more thinking about it perhaps this would be the most logical and consistent solution (if it is possible): You could make the knob turnable by 330° by adding a little range of 30° below the center (indicated by the arrow in the pic). That way it would be

- compatible with the hardware
- smooth range in the first sampled attack area
- easy to find the superfast setting
- also hinting to the fact that the superfast setting is an 'extra' compared to the hardware

TT_attack.jpg
TT_attack.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

You could even make that hint stronger by using a different color for that dot, for example red or blue.
TT_attack2.jpg
TT_attack2.jpg (4.3 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

Forgive the clumsy pics, I am no designer, just thinking as a user here.
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Andrums » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:49 pm

It would be nice to add detector HP filter for 1B to cover any bus compressor duties
Andrums

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:11 pm

yes - about red section - we planned for black but this products was to close to its release when beta asked it.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Hannes_F » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:28 pm

After some more testing let me say congratulations to the whole team. This is a first grade compressor and I am sure it will go through the audio world and introduce the Nebula technology to a much broader target group now. It is not only first notch soundwise but also in terms of behaviour, installation process and design. Acustica Audio has come a long way with this and I hope this will be the beginning of a even wider breakthrough.

I think it is also very good that you combine the sonic properties of hardware with some extensions: bigger treshold, faster attack. Now I am doing orchestral music for classic and film, and in case you want to make the compressor even more interesting for that target group here comes one more suggestion: Could you perhaps extend the compression rate to the soft side towards 1:1.25 and 1:1.0?

This is why:
1. Very mild compression is ideal for treating orchestral music, for tracking, for group busses and for mastering. 1:1.25 would be a real asset, at least for my work.
2. With 1:1.0 it would be possible for example to use the multiband compressor for taming the high mids (which can be piercing) only in the loud passages, for example with 1:1.25 @ -10db while the lows and the highs remain untouched (1:1.0), similar to a dynamic EQ. I hope I explained this well.

Anyways, thank you for this great compressor, and thank you for listening.

Hannes

PS.: If the extension to 1:1.0 were a paid upgrade, perhaps together with a redesign for the attack knob, I would gladly be in for it.
Hannes_F
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:48 pm

thank you for you feedback, it is very appreciated.
Btw I'm following you on facebook

For a simple issue of backward compatibility we'll not modify the actual version, people is already using. Anyway I'll take in account your suggestions for next products.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Titanium