Login

Titanium (multiband compressor)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Re: Titanium (multiband compressor)

Postby TranscendingMusic » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:51 am

nonstandardryder wrote:Towards the fast side.

ok good...not sure how you're hearing it, but in beta we did all vote for very fast attack times when in the "fast" region.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby nonstandardryder » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:38 am

TranscendingMusic wrote:

ok good...not sure how you're hearing it, but in beta we did all vote for very fast attack times when in the "fast" region.

I think it gets a bit to fast to quickly. It feels like a very strong jump. The attack just seems a bit off in that area, everything else sounds great to me, love the release and the ratios. Maybe it's just personal taste, but it is very noticeable when the jump happens, it's a bit to strong and I seem to always want something "in between" where the jump happens but I cant.

I will be slowly dialing the attack to find the sweet spot, and as soon as I reach that point in the picture it's almost like I turned the attack knob 3 times as hard. Just "BAM". There is no "in between" It's like attack to no attack in a extremely small move. It almost feels like an area is missing.
Last edited by nonstandardryder on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
nonstandardryder

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:42 am

nonstandardryder wrote:I love everything about this compressor except for just one thing. The attack behavior is really strange at this one specific point with the attach knob shown in this screenshot. It goes from really smooth to squashed city in a micro move towards the fast side. Is their a way to smooth that area out?

Im watching the waveform display after the plugin and I can also see it happening visually.

yes we condensed attack 1 and attack 2 in the same region, at the point you are showing it starts the next attack. It was a bit a compromise, in order to create a pretty big region (first section) for the "supercompressor"
So they move faster there and at that point it changes quickly from attack 1 to attack 2. Shapes are morphed.
I was planning a different solution too, distributing values in a more fluid way till the end of knob corse, but in such way it would be difficoult to match with hardware because all values - not just attack 1 and 2 - would be moved away from they initial position
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:50 am

nonstandardryder wrote:
TranscendingMusic wrote:

I think it gets a bit to fast to quickly. It feels like a very strong jump. The attack just seems a bit off in that area, everything else sounds great to me, love the release and the ratios. Maybe it's just personal taste, but it is very noticeable when the jump happens, it's a bit to strong and I seem to always want something "in between" where the jump happens but I cant.

I will be slowly dialing the attack to find the sweet spot, and as soon as I reach that point in the picture it's almost like I turned the attack knob 3 times as hard. Just "BAM". There is no "in between" It's like attack to no attack in a extremely small move. It almost feels like an area is missing.

yes yes exactly, it goes very quickly there. But there was not any space left
Here the description

0 - supercompressor
1 - attack 0
1.5 (the point displayed) - attack 1
2 - attack 2
3 - attack 3
4 - attack 4
5 - attack 5

values are morphed obviously
So 2 attacks are mapped in the same region and they move fast
The point is that region 0 cannot be shrinked further, and I didnt want to modify too much further mapping

It is interesting we are speaking about the only thing which changes from hardware. It gives an idea about our close our method is with the real deal - a very balanced compressor project
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby nonstandardryder » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:54 am

giancarlo wrote:
nonstandardryder wrote:I love everything about this compressor except for just one thing. The attack behavior is really strange at this one specific point with the attach knob shown in this screenshot. It goes from really smooth to squashed city in a micro move towards the fast side. Is their a way to smooth that area out?

Im watching the waveform display after the plugin and I can also see it happening visually.

yes we condensed attack 1 and attack 2 in the same region, at the point you are showing it starts the next attack. It was a bit a compromise, in order to create a pretty big region (first section) for the "supercompressor"
So they move faster there and at that point it changes quickly from attack 1 to attack 2. Shapes are morphed.
I was planning a different solution too, distributing values in a more fluid way till the end of knob corse, but in such way it would be difficoult to match with hardware because all values - not just attack 1 and 2 - would be moved away from they initial position

Interesting, So is the original hardware fastest attack setting present? Or was it morphed or replaced with the "fast" version? It just feels like an area is missing. I'm not trying to cause a fuss. I just feel like the sweet spot for the attack is right "in between" the normal and superfast attack times.
Last edited by nonstandardryder on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
nonstandardryder

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:25 am

yes sure, there is everything: their 0 position is mapped to titanium 1 position
It appears like a 1.5 ms attack, even if reported as a 5 ms one, because you should measure in envelope follower directly, not the compressed signal

I'm very expert about this matter because now nat decomposes compressors very well, reconstructing the original envelope follower - before the compression

Side note: nebula was created in 12 months, the nebula you are using today
On this compressor tech I've spent 4 months this year. You can only guess how much complex it is, and how many special cases we are already handling
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby nonstandardryder » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:28 am

giancarlo wrote:yes sure, there is everything: their 0 position is mapped to titanium 1 position
It appears like a 1.5 ms attack, even if reported as a 5 ms one, because you should measure in envelope follower directly, not the compressed signal

It might be to much to ask, but if it is ever possible I would love to see a version that matches the hardware 1:1 with out the superfast modification. :)
Last edited by nonstandardryder on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
nonstandardryder

Postby kylen » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:30 am

I'm pretty pleased with Titanium. Just put 1B on a master (slow attack/fast release) and it really does a fine job of holding things together when I push a bit of high shelf and bass peak thru it. Everything sounds really fine - no "aural vertigo" like I get with so many other ITB compressors when a spurious peak comes thru. Titanium just hums along doing its thing. Very nice job Mr. G & crew. :)
kylen

Postby giancarlo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:38 am

nonstandardryder wrote:
giancarlo wrote:yes sure, there is everything: their 0 position is mapped to titanium 1 position

It might be to much to ask, but if it is ever possible I would love to see a version that matches the hardware 1:1 with out the superfast modification. :)

it was in betatesting for 2 days, revision E, and there was an insurrection from betatesters. They asked loud the supercompression.
It works with your authorization, several things like metes are not working, we have windows only available
I'm sending a message pm
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby nonstandardryder » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:43 am

giancarlo wrote:
nonstandardryder wrote:

it was in betatesting for 2 days, revision E, and there was an insurrection from betatesters. They asked loud the supercompression.
It works with your authorization, several things like metes are not working, we have windows only available
I'm sending a message pm

Thank you so much for trying to help. I really appreciate it and all of the amazing hard work that you do. Unfortunately I am a mac x64 user, so I wont be able to use this version.

Dialing the attack on a compressor for me is similar to cutting/bossting low/sub frequencies with eq. Where the difference from 40hz to 50hz is like the difference between bass and no bass. hehe. It's a very touchy area.

Like the difference between 12k and 13k it's sometimes extremely hard to tell the difference, but the difference between boosting or cutting 40hz or 60z is very noticeable and it's only a 20hz difference.

This is how extreme I feel attack times are. So it's important for me personally to have the wiggle room down there with the attack times to work and dial that crucial area in and stay true to the hardware.

With the superfast mod it almost turns into a superfast limiter shaving off transients completely.

The beta testers must hate me now :(
Last edited by nonstandardryder on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
nonstandardryder

PreviousNext

Return to Titanium