Login

Orange Eq: the first Acqua entirely developed by Acustica

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Re: Orange Eq: the first Acqua entirely developed by Acustic

Postby giancarlo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:02 am

Metalblast wrote:Can´t see the library at Nebula Server: the windows Aqua Library Installer installed the vectors files only, no one "N2P" file.

yes it installs a single n2s in acqua folder and all n2v in your vector folder. You should place AUT file in acqua folder. Libraries are sorted under "AQU" category. Open a ticket, though, enrique will be more helpful. Check you are running a recent version of nebula. Old nebulas can't open N2S files.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Martinez » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks giancarlo, I sorted it out.
This is my first time authorizing one of these plugins.
I must say, it is at thing of great beauty.
Martinez

New OSX installer released

Postby AcusticaPress » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:23 am

A new OSX installer has been released to fix the permission issue during the installation. The new installer is called “permissions fix” and can be downloaded from the product page of the Orange Eq, under “Downloads” -> “OSX”.
AcusticaPress
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby flipnaut » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Hey,

here's also a description how to install:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28273

Its very healpful to read the manual of the plugin ;)

b.r.
Monitors:PSI A21m, System: Presonus Studio One Pro V3, Intel i7 4790k. Plugins: Pink2412, Amethyst2,Navy, Honey, Scarlet3, Ochre, Magenta3, Titanium, Blue, EQp1, Silk. HW: AML EZ1073, Ap*550a, Chandle* LD Comp, Tape 542. Visit me on: http://audiopaw.de/
flipnaut
Expert
Expert

Orange Eq: My Honest Review

Postby bryan7nebula » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:22 pm

First question: Am I glad I bought this?
Answer: Yes.

Slapped this on a drum bus and compared it to the EQP1 and the UAD's A*I Vision Channel Strip EQ and this was my experience. (Drums from a well-regarded acoustic drum library, and the individual drums had no prior EQ.)

The Orange is a bit sluggish and not completely intuitive. You might want to read the manual before using. I didn't. However, once I decided to be a little patient, everything was fine. I like that there are an assortment of frequency bands to choose from, and the Q options are great for finding the right "flavor" of the band--very cool. (Someone asked earlier in the thread if there would be high and low pass. Considering that there is a 20 Hz band and a 20khz band, I am not sure this is wholly necessary.) I am a big fan of the EQP1, and at first, I didn't think the Orange could hang with it. However, I was able to get a very close match with minimal effort. Across the entire bus, the EQP1 perhaps sounded better (subjective), but I did like what the Orange did to the kick drum. I can only say that it made the kick drum sound more "real". Indeed, I tried four or five EQ's and none were able to give the kick the same level of open realness. That said, the snare held up better with the EQP1. When put up against the eq section of the UAD A*I Vision Channel (which I think is currently the best algo channel strip), the Orange was a clear winner, with more "breath/realness" and clarity.

Summary: I am excited to hear the Orange on individual drums. (I think that trying to EQ an entire bus is a tall order for any EQ). Something tells me that this is where it will really shine. Perhaps on a kick or on toms, perhaps on a bass guitar as well. Before purchasing the Acqua, I searched Gearslutz and other message boards to read about the original device, and my test experience was very similar to what I read. Though this is considered a "low-end" unit, many users sung its praises and those who sold it in years past regret doing so. It is truly one of those unheralded yet often loved devices, with many users presently utilizing it for drums and feeling quite satisfied.

Will I use it? Definitely.
My preferred genres are rock and metal, but my ears kept thinking "man this would be great for folk, too."

I hope this was a fair assessment.

Bryan
bryan7nebula
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Orange Eq: My Honest Review

Postby nonstandardryder » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:01 am

bryan7nebula wrote:(Someone asked earlier in the thread if there would be high and low pass. Considering that there is a 20 Hz band and a 20khz band, I am not sure this is wholly necessary.)

It is my understanding the bands are a Q width and not shelving. I do mostly electronic music where the array of sound sources are endless. Cleaning up the bottom end of records is essential to any style of music, but especially club/dance records. We layer all types of crazy sounds and filters are most peoples first step in that style of sound design when producing/writing/mixing.

When mixing I mostly start cutting anything thats not bass or kick at around 100-120hz.

When mastering club records we start filtering at around 30-35hz.

Having filters is essential to my personal production workflow and many others. Not to mention automated filter sweeps are a staple in my music world.

I agree the realism of these new acqua plugins are really great and I would love to have real sampled analog style filters in my single goto eq instance. I am really excited to see them added in a future update.
Last edited by nonstandardryder on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
nonstandardryder

Re: Orange Eq: My Honest Review

Postby mtalavera » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:26 am

bryan7nebula wrote:First question: Am I glad I bought this?
Answer: Yes.

Slapped this on a drum bus and compared it to the EQP1 and the UAD's A*I Vision Channel Strip EQ and this was my experience. (Drums from a well-regarded acoustic drum library, and the individual drums had no prior EQ.)

The Orange is a bit sluggish and not completely intuitive. You might want to read the manual before using. I didn't. However, once I decided to be a little patient, everything was fine. I like that there are an assortment of frequency bands to choose from, and the Q options are great for finding the right "flavor" of the band--very cool. (Someone asked earlier in the thread if there would be high and low pass. Considering that there is a 20 Hz band and a 20khz band, I am not sure this is wholly necessary.) I am a big fan of the EQP1, and at first, I didn't think the Orange could hang with it. However, I was able to get a very close match with minimal effort. Across the entire bus, the EQP1 perhaps sounded better (subjective), but I did like what the Orange did to the kick drum. I can only say that it made the kick drum sound more "real". Indeed, I tried four or five EQ's and none were able to give the kick the same level of open realness. That said, the snare held up better with the EQP1. When put up against the eq section of the UAD A*I Vision Channel (which I think is currently the best algo channel strip), the Orange was a clear winner, with more "breath/realness" and clarity.

Summary: I am excited to hear the Orange on individual drums. (I think that trying to EQ an entire bus is a tall order for any EQ). Something tells me that this is where it will really shine. Perhaps on a kick or on toms, perhaps on a bass guitar as well. Before purchasing the Acqua, I searched Gearslutz and other message boards to read about the original device, and my test experience was very similar to what I read. Though this is considered a "low-end" unit, many users sung its praises and those who sold it in years past regret doing so. It is truly one of those unheralded yet often loved devices, with many users presently utilizing it for drums and feeling quite satisfied.

Will I use it? Definitely.
My preferred genres are rock and metal, but my ears kept thinking "man this would be great for folk, too."

I hope this was a fair assessment.

Bryan

This is an excellent review and very helpful. I have so many EQ's, including the EQP1 and the Acqua Blue EQ, and I don't seem to have the same compulsion to buy EQ's as I do compressors ( I really need to seek help to keep from collecting Nebula compressors :) ). But the price is making this attractive, as is the pay back policy they have going on this.

Reviews like this I very much appreciate.
mtalavera

Postby giancarlo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:58 am

oh, nebula acqua compressors will be awesome. I'm excited as much as we started releasing our first equalisers. Nebula tech was frozen at 2007-2008 when I stopped r&d for starting debugging, creation of tools, platforms, engine optimizations like cuda, on vectors, on nonlinear convolution. Basically you are watching today what I did 7 years ago, but improved in speed and debugging. I though the engine was difficoult to be improved further. A couple of months ago I started again r&d, and first results proved I was wrong: we can do things in a better way. A lot. It just needed a bit more of serious work. Acustica is a company really starting from january 2014, possible improvements are endless. We can refine our quality to higher levels, support missing platforms and so on. Basically we are rising the bar again for the first time after 2008.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby RJHollins » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:29 am

We LOVE it when you do that.
:D
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:37 am

exciting stuff!
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN