Login

NebulaMan 1.2 development versions - CLOSED

Additional software tools

Re: NebulaMan development versions (1.2 dev 2)

Postby RJHollins » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Question regarding the 'Description Pak' that Mercado Negro put together.

? Are these descriptors added one by one ?

Looking ahead ... what is the format, and how can we expand the list ?

Maybe we could get a 'Community Project' going on a comprehensive package !

Now that I've started working with NM ... the DESC make it SO MUCH EASIER to choose from my vast collection!

The SEARCH function in NM is critical to this! To be able to display a list of all, for example, EQ's that have 1.5K, with gain & Q ranges ... now lets me try many different choices that I'd overlooked before! 8-)

This alone makes NebMan a game changer!

A definite IMPORTANT tool in development here! And one the NEBULA Community should support.

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby zabukowski » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:03 am

The easiest way is to create an xml file for each library.

If you open one of the xml files provided, you'll see its simple structure. Description xml files are text files, you can open them with any text editor (notepad etc.)

Each program is represented by its command xml node/structure. Structure properties are self explaining.

<npt>
<command>
<type>program</type>
<category>write a category here</category>
<subcategory1>write a subcategory 1 here</subcategory1>
<subcategory2>write a subcategory 2 here</subcategory2>
<name>write a program name here</name>
<description>write a program description here</description>
<library>write a library name here</library>
</command>

<npt>

Once you've created a file, you can import it into NebulaMan.

Warning: it is recommended to do a backup of your nebula repository before updating descriptions!

If you wish, you can send your newly created desription files to me. I'll make them available as a new NebulaMan descriptions pack.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby zz0zz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 am

I am definitely interested in 1.2 ...when will it be OFFICIALLY released?
zz0zz
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby zabukowski » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:45 pm

zz0zz wrote:I am definitely interested in 1.2 ...when will it be OFFICIALLY released?

Hopefully soon, no release date yet, though. Still few things has to be done, but nothing big ...

If you are interested in 1.2, you should use development version - there were no serious bugs reported so far.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:16 am

Hello Zeb ! [can we call you 'Zeb'] :?: :shock:

Just wanted to report on a couple small issues running NM v1.2dev2 [PC-XP-32].

1. The screen display of the 'Pool' is running into the bottom of the screen, messing with the multi-tabs. Was not doing this with dev1.

2. On the 'Master FX' page. When highlighting a particular NEB instance, and then going to a different page [say the 'Pool' or 'Message'] to make an adjustment ... when returning back to the FX page, the 'Highlight' is lost, yet the FX parameters still show the FX settings, but no way to know which NEB instance is selected ... especially confusing when you might have 20 NEBs in the master list, and have a particular one that you need to still work with.

3. Third item ... and this is more of a question. We understand that NM is still in beta, but I wonder ...
Once we assemble the list of NEBs for a project, and ready to RENDER ... NMan does a 'Re-Load' of all the NEB efx in the chain. Since the fx were already loaded and working, it then goes and re-loads everything again ... and really slows down the workflow. It would be nice if this re-load time could be avoided.

Thanks for reading my post ... looking forward to this important apps development! 8-)

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby harmonik » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:53 am

Can NebulaMan already (or will perhaps a future version) normalize to true peak, instead of peak RMS? (e.g. normalize true peak to -10 dBFS vs normalizing peak RMS to -18 dBFS). The purpose being for processing tracks that are mostly transients (e.g. synthetic percussion, glitch/blip/etc. stuff) that may register a low RMS while having high peaks.
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Postby zabukowski » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 am

RJHollins wrote:Hello Zeb ! [can we call you 'Zeb'] :?: :shock:

No problem, you can call me Zeb, if you like :)

RJHollins wrote:Just wanted to report on a couple small issues
1. The screen display of the 'Pool' is running into the bottom of the screen, messing with the multi-tabs. Was not doing this with dev1.

Not sure what do you mean, screenshot would be great.

RJHollins wrote:2. On the 'Master FX' page. When highlighting a particular NEB instance, and then going to a different page [say the 'Pool' or 'Message'] to make an adjustment ... when returning back to the FX page, the 'Highlight' is lost, yet the FX parameters still show the FX settings, but no way to know which NEB instance is selected ... especially confusing when you might have 20 NEBs in the master list, and have a particular one that you need to still work with.

You can see which instance is selected in the title bar of the FX dock. You can also click on an empty space in fx dock - selected fx will become surrounded by tiny dots (at least it is so on Windows 7)

This highlighting is automatically managed by a GUI framework - i have to look at this to see if this can be improved.

RJHollins wrote:3. Third item ... and this is more of a question. We understand that NM is still in beta, but I wonder ...
Once we assemble the list of NEBs for a project, and ready to RENDER ... NMan does a 'Re-Load' of all the NEB efx in the chain. Since the fx were already loaded and working, it then goes and re-loads everything again ... and really slows down the workflow. It would be nice if this re-load time could be avoided.

1.2 is in a development phase which is beta at the same time. But concept of reloading is present since the version 1.0.

NebulaMan is rendering in a background. Because of that all programs are reloaded into independent thread, which is used for rendering. It slows down a process to give you access to full preview functionaliy while rendering files in the background.

If programs wouldn't be reloaded, any change to program chain or programs itself done while rendering, would be instantly reflected in rendering files.

Maybe in the future I will make an option to disable background rendering - then you'll have to wait until rendering will be finished.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby zabukowski » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:43 am

harmonik wrote:Can NebulaMan already (or will perhaps a future version) normalize to true peak, instead of peak RMS? (e.g. normalize true peak to -10 dBFS vs normalizing peak RMS to -18 dBFS). The purpose being for processing tracks that are mostly transients (e.g. synthetic percussion, glitch/blip/etc. stuff) that may register a low RMS while having high peaks.

This is already on feature request list. I agree it would be
very helpful.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 pm

ARGH ... I'm SO bad with name :oops:

I meant to write 'Zab' !

Hi Zab, ;)

I'll get a screen shot together ...

On the 3rd question .... ahhh, now I think I understand the problem I've been having [besides needing to upgrade to a 64bit system, and add a few 'servers' to my network. :|

Based on the particular libraries involved [ones like GEQ are huge memory items]. I usually get 20 or so NEBS going.

The problem has been that when I go to render, the re-loading requires additional memory ... and I have found that NM will NOT actually render the file out. It will put a filename at a 1k size, but resources must be so low that it cannot perform the rendering.

Therefore, I end up having to 'kill' the app, and then reload the project.

From there, I select, maybe, the 1st 10 NEBs in the chain [by deleting the others]. Then I render that out [as part 'A']. Once complete, I have to reload the entire project, delete previous top half of chain, then load in the 'Part A' file to process NOW with the 2nd half of the chain [Part B].

This makes it very tricky AND quite the time consuming process obviously. I'm not able to utilize the concept of 'background processing' until the 1st file is done.

I DO need to verify if, indeed, the memory being used is doubled [the realtime load, and then the background load].

Obviously, I'm new to the app, and don't quite have a good handle on the workflow. It just seems having an option to direct stream the current configuration would be most welcomed.

Anyway, I'll get screen shot together.

Thanks Zab for listening to my issues and all your help!!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby zabukowski » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 pm

RJHollins wrote:I usually get 20 or so NEBS going.

WOW :shock:

Anyway, I've done some research - it looks like option to "disable FX preload when rendering" will make it into 1.2 dev 3 ;)

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Tools