Login

Nebula Setups Questions

Additional software tools

Nebula Setups Questions

Postby kindafishy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi Zabukowski,

My libraries are growing, so I am starting to think about this program. I have a couple questions for you.

Q: If using setups with Nebula Server, are there any implications for Nebula's resource sharing capabilities? As in, if I start splitting all my programs into various setups libraries, is this going to negatively impact some of the benefits of Nebula Server, even in a small way?

Q: Have you been working on a 'next-gen' version of setups with Nebula 4 yet? If not, is it at least in the planning stages, and is this tool going to be just as useful when 4 comes out?

Q: Does the skin selector show a preview of the skin? If not, can this be added as a feature? As a related request, would you consider creating and maintaining a cloud based skin repository that setups can use with an internal 'skins manager' to show previews, download new skins, delete old skins, etc?

Thanks!
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Nebula Setups Questions

Postby zabukowski » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:57 pm

kindafishy wrote:Q: If using setups with Nebula Server, are there any implications for Nebula's resource sharing capabilities? As in, if I start splitting all my programs into various setups libraries, is this going to negatively impact some of the benefits of Nebula Server, even in a small way?

I am not aware of any negative effects using Nebula Setups/Nebula Server combo (i am using local server as well).
kindafishy wrote:Q: Have you been working on a 'next-gen' version of setups with Nebula 4 yet? If not, is it at least in the planning stages, and is this tool going to be just as useful when 4 comes out?

I will definitively try to catch up with Nebula 4. Can't say more about this, since Nebula 4 is in the development and it is hard to estimate, how valuable will Nebula Setups be for Nebula 4 users.
kindafishy wrote:Q: Does the skin selector show a preview of the skin? If not, can this be added as a feature? As a related request, would you consider creating and maintaining a cloud based skin repository that setups can use with an internal 'skins manager' to show previews, download new skins, delete old skins, etc?

Nebula Setups 2.5 development versioh has support for skin preview, but pre-made skin thumbnails must be installed. Currently, for third-party programs like Nebula Setups, there is no other solution.
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks!

zabukowski wrote:
kindafishy wrote:Q: Does the skin selector show a preview of the skin? If not, can this be added as a feature? As a related request, would you consider creating and maintaining a cloud based skin repository that setups can use with an internal 'skins manager' to show previews, download new skins, delete old skins, etc?

Nebula Setups 2.5 development versioh has support for skin preview, but pre-made skin thumbnails must be installed. Currently, for third-party programs like Nebula Setups, there is no other solution.

Sure there is. Since you have the functionality to do a preview, just have your application iterate the skins directory, apply each to a 'dummy' Neb instance, do a preview of each one in an off screen buffer and then create thumbnails of all of them. There isn't a technical reason that you can't do this, if you wanted to add this feature.

This would give you another nice feature to use with a cloud storage repository because you could spin off a standalone skin uploader using a subset of this code for people like jpn who create great skins so they can upload the skin and a thumbnail to the repository.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby zabukowski » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:38 pm

kindafishy wrote:Thanks!

zabukowski wrote:

Sure there is. Since you have the functionality to do a preview, just have your application iterate the skins directory, apply each to a 'dummy' Neb instance, do a preview of each one in an off screen buffer and then create thumbnails of all of them. There isn't a technical reason that you can't do this, if you wanted to add this feature.

This would give you another nice feature to use with a cloud storage repository because you could spin off a standalone skin uploader using a subset of this code for people like jpn who create great skins so they can upload the skin and a thumbnail to the repository.

When i said "no other way", i meant that Nebula/ACQUA programming library (which is used by Nebula Setups for Nebula access), doesn't offer this functionality.

Usually there are always possible workarounds - first attempt with thumbnails is already working, second workaround you suggested may be implemented in the future as well.

Thx for idea!
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby kindafishy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:54 pm

zabukowski wrote:When i said "no other way", i meant that Nebula/ACQUA programming library (which is used by Nebula Setups for Nebula access), doesn't offer this functionality.

Usually there are always possible workarounds - first attempt with thumbnails is already working, second workaround you suggested may be implemented in the future as well.

Thx for idea!

No problem! I would like to see that as a feature. I wouldn't exactly call it a 'workaround' though. I have been doing medical image processing for radiology systems for many years, and that is one of the techniques we use to create thumbnails of things when we don't have access to raw image data for whatever reason. I think there are DAWs that use this technique to create thumbnails of plugins for FX browsers as well.

I just read through the user guide. This looks like a great and very useful application. If I start feeling just a little more drive to separate out my libraries, I will pick up a copy.

Hope it continues on in Neb 4!
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to Tools