Login

What would you like to see in NebulaMan 2.0 ?

Additional software tools

What would you like to see in NebulaMan 2.0 ?

Postby zabukowski » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Playing in my head with ideas for NebulaMan 2.0 feature list - W.O.W., this looks promising, so excited ... can i have this program, please ?

Errrr, ah yes, i have to program all this new stuff first, eh

Well, it's a start

Any ideas and suggestions - please, shoot =:)

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Re: What would you like to see in NebulaMan 2.0 ?

Postby Vando » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:15 pm

This we have already discussed earlier: VST! Please!!
At least the ones based on Acqua so we can use 3rd party developers' plug ins like VTM-M2 etc.
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby zoic » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Hello! It would be great to have a sequencers like locators to loop a selected range of a track during playback.
zoic
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:08 pm

+1 For both request.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:19 am

Reaper with SWS has RMS normalization + batch rendering, and can include other VSTs between the nebula instances (like VTM-M2 which is not Aqua btw :)), and thus can also include reaper-scripts or other VSTs like SleepyTimeRecords' MonoChannel/Stereochannel to do gain staging between Nebula instances.

NebulaMan is easier to use, but since it can't do _more_ than Reaper's batch it's not really worth it for me.

What would change that:
- VST plugin in the chain
- Easier gain staging (maybe add a note or reference to a nebula library what it's 0vu reference point is).
- My personal one: Load a chain for a whole set of wav files, but then make it possible to adjust settings per wave file (or is that possible already?). For VTM-M2 VST example I would like to tune input/output level (for how hard to hit the tape) per wave file. Even if it was only for nebula parameters it would help. Having the possibility to quickly adjust a gdrive on a single wav file of a certain library can help alot.
- Another personal one: Automatic instances of AlexB's (and others?) console-channels. Have a placeholder in the chain that will be replaced with 'line1' for fist wave file, 'line2' for 2nd wave file, 'line3' for 3rd wave file, and after the last channel restarts at line1 again. Automatic alternating the channels for the different tracks as it where. Also automatically selecting the mono or stereo version depending on 1ch or 2ch input wave file will be cool. Also (ofcourse, ahem :)) the option to override this automatic-channel-setting for certain wave files, if you have a certain channel where you like the sound more for a certain input track. Remember, people like to add channel->tape stuff -> channel a lot, so two instances of this 'auto-channel-select' per chain is a minimum I guess.

This would take the program a lot above other batch renderers I guess, since it will get more and more tailor made for applying a bunch of nebula-libraries to all your tracks before mixing (a method a lot of us are using I guess).

Now I either have to painfully do the channel-select myself per wave file (but gives me the option to audition the levels and saturation on the track) and then render it. If I'm in no mood to do this track-by-track, I dump them all in Reaper's batch-renderer with exactly the same chain (so all get 'channel1-stereo' for example). These features I proposed will never have my 'go the quick and dirty way' but do it properly every single time since it's just as easy :). And I don't have to put up with reaper's buggy batch-renderer-with-nebula interaction :). (It stalls a lot). For now, your program is better by a margin, so not worth 50 bucks for me. After this, it would be the better option _always_, so immediately worth a purchase :).
jorismak

Postby zabukowski » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Few nice features suggested by users:

- real time recording thru FX Chain to file
- dithering
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:13 pm

to be frank, I'm doubting about those.

- Recording through a chain doesn't seem like a good idea to me (but I don't know everybody's workflow :)). The basic chain I use already runs at 0.7x realtime on my 3.5ghz Core i7. Since recording mostly means that your DAW can only use one core - and all the multicore stuff that CAN be used is the little bit in nebula itself - I would not see the user of a proper recording chain that would run OK for most users :).
And, more importantly, the latency would be use. Even if you use the normal Nebula.xml version instead of the Reverb one, every instance adds 128 samples of latency. The Reverb version way more. Proper doubletracking / overdubbing while 6 instances of nebula adds way too much latency for me to time it correctly. Kinda makes the whole point of a < 128 sample delay audio interface undone :).

- Dithering: Primarily, I think you have mixing to do after using nebula on your files. Since you want everything to stay there and you want the maximum resolution that nebula outputs, you want the Wave files to be 32bit floating-point. So no need to dither.
If you still want to dither the output because you go to 24bit / 16bit for some reason: There are a lot of dither algorithms out there. So if you include dithering, it must be a proper good one and those algorithms are not laying around most of the time :).
Including VST(2) support in the chains means people can end with any dither VST / limiter-with-dithering-VST of their choice and you don't have to find to get a proper dither algorithm built in.
jorismak

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:24 pm

. VST support
. loop locators/ranges
. Nebula Server connection
. RMS/PEAK and BS1770/EBU r-128 normalization with out Nebula
. Levels information in TXT/PDF.
. Levels normalization/gain staging control between each Nebula/plug-in instance
. Console automatic channel switch (should be an extra implementation in AA side)
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby malte » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:20 am

zabukowski wrote:Few nice features suggested by users:

- real time recording thru FX Chain to file
- dithering

Yes! NM on its own dedicated computer, synced up with its own sound card etc. used as a master recorder - real time recording thru FX Chain to file. For us that's doing analog summing this would be 'the bees knees' ;)

Already a bunch of great dithering options out there! In my scenario this NM 2.0 created file would be 24/96 and be mastered in another software.

Keep it up Franci, you're ahead of the game!

/Lodin
malte
User Level I
User Level I

Next

Return to Tools