Login

Seeking BETA TESTER for Nebula Virtual Controllers [VST]

Additional software tools

Re: Seeking BETA TESTER for Nebula Virtual Controllers [VST]

Postby RJHollins » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:57 am

babiuk wrote:Oops!

I was sooooo expecting for this topic so many days and I just discovered it begun more than a week ago... :(

It´s that I was checking at "working with nebula" forum and I didn´t see this... so sad!

Anyway I´ll read it now and count on me if you think you need it still.

Quite alright Babiuk,

I wanted to keep this 1st trial run limited to 1 tester [for exactly the reason that first hit].

Now that the NVC is working on Our beta tester's computers, [which I'm very happy to say] :D I've have been focus on the 'User Configuration' module.

This module is nearly ready for testing. [say 80% there]. Although it will look simple from the user's perspective ... There is a lot going on under the GUI.

I'm attempting to make the data entry convenient, and data friendly as I can. Because there can be no direct 'error checking' into NEBULA, I've had to customize each 'INPUT' field to offer some level of 'protection'. With this very critical module, I will keep the test with my tester. Once we are confident that everything works as planned, we'll look at what further testing to do.

I'll also try to get a few new screen shots up during this.

There are also some 'topics of interest' that I'd like Nebulites' input/views/opinions/perspective on regarding the NVC.

I do hope that many will join in on the discussion. This may be better in a separate thread ... let me know if interested.

Meanwhile ... we're getting there. 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 am

Update News.

OK ... so a lot has been happening ... although not many have seen the action :o :lol:

Sometimes delays are a good thing.

Such is the case with the NVC-MP. The development software had a major upgrade that, for one, had a significant impact on graphics. After a few days demo'ing and comparing, it was very obvious that I was going to going to have to migrate to the new software. The 'Massive/Passive' virtual controller [visually] is .... large ... in size. As it contains 13 equalizer modules within the interface, keeping the readability/ size factor is aways a balancing act.

With the [now] ability to use true vector fonts [rather than bit map], the display size could be reduced.

2nd ... code efficiency was also improved with the upgrade.

and 3rd, additional script programming added allows for more streamlined coding.

These are all good things ! :D

A couple days ago, a new 'beta' went out for testing using the new dev package. I very happy to report that the improvements were noticed and working ! 8-)

There is a 'stand alone' configuration app that I'm readying to have beta tested. That should go out very soon.

A website has been reserved, and is next in line to be setup.

There is also to be documentation gathered and organized to round out this first release.

Alrighty ... back to work for me !
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby babiuk » Tue May 14, 2013 7:14 am

So good news!!! :)

Nice to hear from you , it's great to know you keep on working and you got success.
I am looking forward to see what you are cooking.

Good luck and let us know!
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Babiuk,

I've been getting back, welcomed, good news !!

Earlier tonite I sent the Stand Alone Configuration app out for pre-testing. It's still early, hope to know more tomorrow, but things are coming together!

There are been several delays throughout this development process. There was also a lot more work involved in putting this together.

The latest issue involved something as simple as the INPUT fields that allow the User to assign Nebula patch library numbers any way they want. [These are those tiny 'Program Patch' numbers you see in Nebula's main window patch.

The problem was, I wasn't satisfied with the way these edit boxes were working, nor was I happy about how complex the coding logic became. So, the only solution was to rewrite those modules.

This has been done! This rewrite went out with this first beta test. From my own testing, it just works much better, AND I have built in flexibility and control that is much easier to implement. I feel this adds 'user friendliness' to the system.

The NVC VST itself has already had some internal rewrites, cleanup, and optimization ... most important was the display fonts used around the knobs [the GUAGE]. The earlier version was a bit map design. It always bugged me, in that, it had a 'fuzzy' look. The new version uses the system vector fonts. Because of this, I was actually able to reduce the overall size of the GUI because the clarity in the new font routines. [oh ... this is still a 'massive/passive' interface :lol: However, the change I was able to make put a smile on my beta-tester. [When the time is right, I believe we'll hear from him with his observations. I do not want to influence him in any way ... right now he says he's having fun playing with the new controller :D ]

This was an important reaction for me to hear back on, as 'having fun playing with Nebula' was mostly associated with the sonics ... not to many 'fun' statements related to working the interface ... let alone a dozen or more :o

Just to tease a bit ... during this dev time, I've also taking a bit of time to 'play'. I'll say this ... after 30 years of pure hardware, through the introduction of digital, the transition to a total software based system has been very unfulfilled. When I happened across NEBULA [from a British magazine, I heard a 'familiar' sound :) one that I liked. I had already spent $k's on 'the best' plugs out there. They worked ... but I heard 2 dimension, plastic. I really missed the hardware ... sonically and ergonomically.

Nebula comes in ... I built the best computer I could afford ... went from Pro to Server. So now I could have a bunch of NEB's ... and that lead to the next big problem. It just became too tiring to manage all the plugs....

The other day, pulling up a track to play with, and loaded in the NVC-MP. The experience is difficult for me to put into words. I'll leave it to others to express, but for myself, the way I can now interact and experiment with the NVC as my full window to this powerful EQ is an entire revelation. My entire thinking process and combined work-flow, with the sonics of NEBULA, is a game changer. I can once again focus on the music.

anyway ... so, I've got the website up. As soon as I hear back on beta tests, and all is good, I'll start getting the site populated. I'll post a new announce topic as soon as that happens. I still need to put together some documentation, although the NVC itself need little explanation, the configuration is something that I want to be clear and intuitive. There are some specifics related to DAW's. We been using REAPER as the test bed [same as Nebula Guys]. There are some specifics [due to the way Reaper handles MIDI channels] that may needs explaining. I'm also getting the Demo prepared. We're still experimenting with how the demo should function.

Well ... should get back to it here! I tell ya, I can't wait to get to the next unit [whatever that'll be] 8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dagovitsj » Tue May 14, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for the update!
Wow, I feel like a child again waiting for some really big present! I'm very exited, RJHollins. I think this will be a BIG gamechanger. After all, it's about music, and getting a good workflow. Thanks for working on this very promising project :D

AND, I think it's really great that you put a lot of effort into making the user interface good, too often ignored by tech-guys.

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to Tools