Login

CLOSED - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Additional software tools

CLOSED - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby zabukowski » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:38 am

NM15dev2.jpg
NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 screenshot
NM15dev2.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 1053 times


What is new (1.2 dev 1 -> 1.5 dev 2)

    - HOT: 5 preview sources for fast switching between different FX chains
    - HOT: FX chains for Project Pool item (file, group, directory)
    - DAW mechanism: each file is first rendered with its own FX chain, then with parent group's FX chain and finally with root (master) item's FX chain (rendering of nested groups is supported)
    - improved drag & drop support
    - 'Check for Update' option
    - 'Preview' option (Project Pool)
    - no more FX reloading when rendering (fast rendering start, less memory used)
    - tons of improvements, optimizations, (bug)fixes and brand new code :)

Please visit http://www.zabukowski.com/software to download it.

You can find more detailed information about new features here: http://www.zabukowski.com/software/Deve ... README.pdf

Enjoy 8-)
Zabukowski
User avatar
zabukowski
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby zabukowski » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am

Here it is - a basic example of Project Pool template with multiple FX chains (AlexB MBC library).

- save file into NebulaMan's Project Pool templates directory
- run NebulaMan
- load saved template into Project Pool dock
- add files to groups
- tune normalisation parameters of groups if needed
- render

Note, that drums group uses True Peak normalisation, opposite to other groups, which use Peak RMS normalization. Take a look at the different FX chains inside different groups (colored blue). There is also master FX group/chain.

http://www.zabukowski.com/software/AlexB%20Modern%20Black%20Console%20MBC%20(A*I%201608)%20Rendering%20Template.nmpptemplate
User avatar
zabukowski
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby himhui » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Woow ......Sweet upgrade!


Thanks Zabu.
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
User avatar
himhui
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby tbentley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:41 pm

How do you add a fx chain to a group?
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:17 am

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby zabukowski » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 pm

tbentley wrote:How do you add a fx chain to a group?


Select preview source B, click on a group and add FX as usual.

Zabukowski
User avatar
zabukowski
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby zabukowski » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Few 1.5 dev 2 facts and hints ...

Your existing license works with 1.5 dev as well. Use Help/About option - “Install license” button. Find and select your license file (nebulaman.license). If license is valid, information from the license file is displayed.

Sometimes, enable/disable column of FX item (Nebula FX dock) is not initially visible. Resize leftmost column a to the right and checkbox will reveal itself. It's a problem with initial screen layout, it will be fixed in next version.

For rendering purposes, always use preview source B, which is directly linked to the current Project Pool item. Other preview sources are used exclusively for preview - their FX chains will not be used for rendering.

For example, if you want to use the same FX chain for all files when rendering, add FX to preview source B - Project Pool root item.

Read more about development versions and new features here:
http://www.zabukowski.com/software/Development%20version%20README.pdf

[edit]
Confirmed bug/crash when loading empty FX chain. Will be fixed in the next release.

[edit]
Confirmed bug/crash when loading sidechain versions of programs. Will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks!
Zabukowski
User avatar
zabukowski
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby dream » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 am

Hi Zab,

you're doing such a great job, making me very very happy! This release is so nice, and the fact you're trying to solve your problems before to sell a software makes you figure out our problems.
I don't even need to say anything, you're probably doing it. :D

This group thing with the possibility to use a different FX chain for each one is so cool. Neat! One of the only things I was missing (since I've got some problem in the past) was to put the drums on "TRUE peak normalization", and you did it. I've got some pop/snap problem in the past especially with the snare.

Speaking of TRUE peak normalization I read the xml file you linked before and it seems like you're not using it in that specific template.
Is there any reason for that?
Anyway, do you have any specific value you think is safe? A value you suggest as a good and safe starting point? I read -9 in your template and actually it has worked very well (in TRUE peak), and when I imported all the drum files in my project I didn't get any peak/pop and the gain structure was already pretty good avoiding clipping the master buss (I dind't check "only while processing" for this reason).

There's another thing I'd like to ask because, my bad, I didn't get it.
When I'm importing a Project Pool Template I'd like to import only the FX chains and the group names without the actual files inside every group since if I open a template probably I'm gonna work on another project.
Can you explain your point of view on that? Probably there's a reason if you did it. :)

Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to know the other news!
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
User avatar
dream
Member
Member
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: Los Angeles / Italy (Belluno)

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby zabukowski » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:55 am

Glad you like the update :)

dream wrote:Speaking of TRUE peak normalization I read the xml file you linked before and it seems like you're not using it in that specific template.
Is there any reason for that?


Not sure which xml you have in mind.

dream wrote:Anyway, do you have any specific value you think is safe? A value you suggest as a good and safe starting point? I read -9 in your template and actually it has worked very well (in TRUE peak), and when I imported all the drum files in my project I didn't get any peak/pop and the gain structure was already pretty good avoiding clipping the master buss (I dind't check "only while processing" for this reason).


I think values from -9 to -6 dbFS True Peak are a good starting point. You should experiment to find an optimal value (it depends on audio file content).

I don't use "Only while processing" option very often. Like you've said, gain structure of the files becomes better for mixing this way.

dream wrote:There's another thing I'd like to ask because, my bad, I didn't get it.
When I'm importing a Project Pool Template I'd like to import only the FX chains and the group names without the actual files inside every group since if I open a template probably I'm gonna work on another project.
Can you explain your point of view on that? Probably there's a reason if you did it. :)
!


Basically, Project pool templates are meant to be saved ("Save Project Pool template" option) without actual audio files (delete files from pool and then save it). This way they can be reused in new projects ("Load Project Pool template" option)

If you want to save project pool together with files, use "Save project" option. This will save everything into project file (including project pool contents).

Hope it helps!

Zabukowski
User avatar
zabukowski
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby dream » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 pm

zabukowski wrote:
dream wrote:Speaking of TRUE peak normalization I read the xml file you linked before and it seems like you're not using it in that specific template.
Is there any reason for that?


Not sure which xml you have in mind.


I was referring to this file:
http://www.zabukowski.com/software/AlexB%20Modern%20Black%20Console%20MBC%20(A*I%201608)%20Rendering%20Template.nmpptemplate
But probably it's my bad, Safari open it as a xml file, and if I try to download it the extension is xml again.

Thanks for the other answer, it makes perfect sense.

Another question, just to be 100% sure, about the rendering mechanism that you explained on the manual:
- each file will be rendered first with its own fx chain;
- the next chain will be the group chain;
- and then the final chain will be the chain built on the preview B (that you can build directly selecting "Project Pool" on the right)

Is like that?
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
User avatar
dream
Member
Member
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: Los Angeles / Italy (Belluno)

Re: NEW - NebulaMan 1.5 dev 2 (development version)

Postby zabukowski » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am

dream wrote:
zabukowski wrote:
dream wrote:Speaking of TRUE peak normalization I read the xml file you linked before and it seems like you're not using it in that specific template.
Is there any reason for that?


Not sure which xml you have in mind.


I was referring to this file:
http://www.zabukowski.com/software/AlexB%20Modern%20Black%20Console%20MBC%20(A*I%201608)%20Rendering%20Template.nmpptemplate
But probably it's my bad, Safari open it as a xml file, and if I try to download it the extension is xml again.

Thanks for the other answer, it makes perfect sense.

Another question, just to be 100% sure, about the rendering mechanism that you explained on the manual:
- each file will be rendered first with its own fx chain;
- the next chain will be the group chain;
- and then the final chain will be the chain built on the preview B (that you can build directly selecting "Project Pool" on the right)

Is like that?


I recommend to reveal file extensions in Finder to avoid misc trouble with file extensions. In this particular template, True Peak -9dbFS normalizing is used for Drums group.

Regarding rendering:

Only preview source B is used for rendering. Other sources are for preview only.

Each Project pool item can have its own fx chain, which is accessible thru preview source B (when you click on an item). If item has fx chain attached it is also colored blue.

Rendering (signal flow) goes from bottom to top, like if you are using group routing in your daw.

1. file's fx chain
2. parent group fx chain ... all the way to the top
3. root's item fx chain, which is actually top level master group

Zabukowski
User avatar
zabukowski
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Next

Return to Tools

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest