Love NRGUI! Was working fine until I upgraded to 1.6d and now I receive the following error: "Assertion failed!" followed by additional information when I attempt to render files. I have attached an image of the error to this post in case it is helpful.
Yes, this issue has been reported few times so far. I am afraid I am still unable to help you regarding this issue
Few honest facts for better understanding of the problem:
I've developed NRGUI (PRO), Giancarlo developed Nebula Renderer, which is the problem in this case (note, Nebula Renderer is not officially supported, but it is needed for rendering with NRGUI)
I've never experienced this strange problem, so I can't troubleshoot/debug it on any of my machines (this is in fact still very rare problem)
Giancarlo is aware of this issue, but he has no idea, what could be the reason for this – in the latest conversation, he told me that renderer doesn't use w32 shared pointers, which are causing this problem according to the error message ?? (looks like problem is in libraries which are installed with Nebula).
As I remember, this problem first time arised, when Nebula Renderer was compiled with newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ compiler (some kind of run time libraries issue ???)
You could also try to install the latest x86 and x84 versions of Nebula !!!!
I agree this is very strange, but i simply can't get enough info from the users, exactly when this problem started to show up (new installed software etc.). It would be very nice to have info like „NRGUI worked ok, then i've installed software x, and NRGUI stopped working). Please specify your system config, os etc., also.
Update to latest NRGUI version 1.6d is probably not a reason for this, except if you were using very old NRGUI/renderer version ...
And as you probably already know …
There is a new previewing/rendering program in the developement pipeline (alpha) - NebulaMan (win, osx - current version 0.8). You can read more about it in the forums. This will be a major improvement over NRGUI PRO. Release date is not yet determined - still a LOT of work has to be done, but current test users are very excited about this program.
NebulaMan program won't need NebulaRenderer, so this issue will be solved then.
Ah, the runtime libraries, that is what changed on my machine. I thought it may have been when I updated NRGUI to the latest but about 2 weeks ago I downloaded and installed the latest C++ Runtime libraries from Microsoft to address a problem I was having in Sonar X1. I am on Windows XP SP3 if that's of any use.
In any event I downloaded Nebulaman last night and that will get me going again. Miss the program chains but I see that is on your list of things to do
Thanks for the response, I will just carry on with Nebulaman and purchase the full version when you have it ready. I presume there will be some sort of 'upgrade' option at that time.