Login

Finally tryed it :)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Re: Finally tryed it :)

Postby Barendse » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 am

Jay Key wrote:Hi guys,

Well, I tried it.

And I have the impression that it deals with the low-end in a nasty way.

Maybe the effect of this preamp is aimed at being REALLY SUBTLE but I can't get it to enhance the sound in a good way.

Maybe that's just me, but nothing really noticeable here apart from boosting the signal and driving the low-end crazy.

It doesn't enhance all the spectrum, and I thought that it was the supposed behaviour.

Any word, real experience with it ?

All The Best,
Jay Key

Strange, after putting it on my vocal track I heard immediately an enhancement of the track and heard it cutting much better through my mix. Definitely a keeper.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:01 am

I suggest to hit the plugin below -18dB. For a vocal track this is pretty a consequence. -18dB is the nominal 0dB level on the real hardware. This could be an explanation for such different opinions (amazing <-> nasty). From my point of view acquavox is simply an experiment: we are refining an engine (audio+graphic) aimed to new products: they could be desks, tapes, eq, and much more. We are testing this website as distribution point, everything is developed in this direction.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Jay Key » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for all the efforts Giancarlo.

So if I understand it right, you mean that : -18dBFS equals 0dBVU of AcquaVox ?

That means that over -18dBFS we are overloading it, which can lead to nasty artifacts.

So the best use would be for example to put a -24dBFS signal and add some +6dB of "Drive" to expect good/great results depending of the quality of the source material, of course.

Is that right or am I totally wrong...

Thanks for reading and for the explanations.

All The Best,
Jay Key
Jay Key
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby germzzzz4 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 pm

i like it by the way where are the xml located at for win 7,great job .i didn't get the crackle since i learn a long time ago to dip the input source for my daw or am i tlking crap.but i really like this thanks again
germzzzz4
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Mon May 03, 2010 8:42 pm

yeah it works really great,where do you guys normally put this in your chain?
ErotiCore SteNch
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby ngarjuna » Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Jay Key wrote:Hi,

Thanks for all the efforts Giancarlo.

So if I understand it right, you mean that : -18dBFS equals 0dBVU of AcquaVox ?

That means that over -18dBFS we are overloading it, which can lead to nasty artifacts.

So the best use would be for example to put a -24dBFS signal and add some +6dB of "Drive" to expect good/great results depending of the quality of the source material, of course.

Is that right or am I totally wrong...

Thanks for reading and for the explanations.

All The Best,
Jay Key

0dB VU != 0dBFS

VU is 'loudness' scale (a sort of average), so going over 0 does not immediately distort (since VU was mostly used in analog systems the amount over 0 you could go varied from unit to unit). You don't use 0 as the absolute peak on a VU meter.

FS, however, is the digital absolute peak. You don't want to exceed that.

I haven't played with the Acquavox, but I think what's been said is that if your VU (average) dB are too high it can cause the unit to break up, similar to how analog behavior would work. But that's different than exceeding the digital peak (which should also distort although I'm not sure if that's true in a 32/64FP environment or not).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Guest » Sun May 16, 2010 10:45 am

I'm very curious about the next preamp (or whatever it will be)
I really wish it would be something more "obvious" (less subtle) with some nice saturation :geek:

Postby hydrogen » Tue May 18, 2010 2:54 pm

miro wrote:I'm very curious about the next preamp (or whatever it will be)
I really wish it would be something more "obvious" (less subtle) with some nice saturation :geek:

+1. Something a little more exaggerated, the idea of this is brilliant. I also love the new gui ideas so the gain is compensated. :)
hydrogen
User Level 0
User Level 0

I tried it.

Postby abluesky » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:53 pm

I'm on a MBP CD2.0 2gbRAM running Ableton Live 7.

I get the crackles and have a hard time hearing the difference the plug makes.

Is there a doc like a quickstart guide anywhere that can explain how to use it properly?

Thanks!

ABS
abluesky
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby omtayslick » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm using it in Cakewalk with the Cakewalk vst wrapper with no issues at all. Love the sound on vocals. It adds a lot of weight,presense and clarity without any detrimental low end build up.
omtayslick
User Level 0
User Level 0

PreviousNext

Return to AcquaVox