Login

Finally tryed it :)

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Finally tryed it :)

Postby mertayy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:27 pm

I noticed the pc version was ready here, immediately downloaded it (or should I say bought it for free? ehehe ) :)

Its pretty good! I preferred 2 instances for a dry vocal recording and its sounded much better individually and inside the mix.

I also tried it on the drum buss, seems it can help the kick to be heard at higher frequency's.

Only 2 things I disliked are the in/out gain controls and knobs feeling. Actually I got used to the loosey knobs very quick so not a huge issue but when I wanted to drive the input and lower the output I noticed degree's aren't equal (and naturally no screen avalible like nebula has).

Maybe since there's drive option not a big deal but it would make more sense if fixed gain value's would be used for future products.

CPU load also wasn't bad at all, there are many Nebula "favorites" that needs more power.
mertayy

Re: Finally tryed it :)

Postby giancarlo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:47 pm

next preamp plugins will be different. There will be a single knob, and you'll modify the input gain there, but the output will be compensated. This will give immediatly the right harmonic behaviour and feeling. Knobs are not handled very well in our actual engine, we'll code them differently in the future.

Btw you could modify latency like it was a normal nebula plugin, tuning its xml, maybe you already know that.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby futur2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:47 pm

it gives random crackles on my i7 within cubase. uninstalled.
futur2

Postby giancarlo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Don't drive it too hot. Nominal level for this plugin is around -18dB. If you process something really hot you'll get crackles. Otherwise it's only a matter of latency, it's the same engine used for nebula.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mertayy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:35 pm

giancarlo wrote:next preamp plugins will be different. There will be a single knob, and you'll modify the input gain there, but the output will be compensated. This will give immediatly the right harmonic behaviour and feeling. Knobs are not handled very well in our actual engine, we'll code them differently in the future.

Btw you could modify latency like it was a normal nebula plugin, tuning its xml, maybe you already know that.

Awesome. I just hope non-nebula users will finally understand what they're missing when trying this, from forums I noticed most doesn't have a clue of what glue is but if someone can't hear then not much can be done right?

Maybe not letting the user to drive too much might be a better idea cause automaticly they want to hear that static/grainy/dirting type of color from other plug-ins when trying Nebula/Acqua effects.

Instead, simply telling them to insert a second instance for more coloration might make things easyer for them.
mertayy

Postby futur2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:17 pm

giancarlo wrote:Don't drive it too hot. Nominal level for this plugin is around -18dB. If you process something really hot you'll get crackles. Otherwise it's only a matter of latency, it's the same engine used for nebula.

no it's not from driving it too hot it's latency based crackles. but i never had them with nebula.
futur2

Postby Tp3 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

I can confirm about the crackles
Tp3
User Level III
User Level III

Postby giancarlo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Oh, yes, I confirm there is a mistake in the pc installer. Change NODROP to 1 (Acquavox.xml)
I'll upload a new version maybe tomorrow or so.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Jay Key » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 am

Hi guys,

Well, I tried it.

And I have the impression that it deals with the low-end in a nasty way.

Maybe the effect of this preamp is aimed at being REALLY SUBTLE but I can't get it to enhance the sound in a good way.

Maybe that's just me, but nothing really noticeable here apart from boosting the signal and driving the low-end crazy.

It doesn't enhance all the spectrum, and I thought that it was the supposed behaviour.

Any word, real experience with it ?

All The Best,
Jay Key
Jay Key
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby highvoltage » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:34 am

giancarlo wrote:next preamp plugins will be different. There will be a single knob, and you'll modify the input gain there, but the output will be compensated. This will give immediatly the right harmonic behaviour and feeling. Knobs are not handled very well in our actual engine, we'll code them differently in the future.

It would be a great idea to implement something like you find in Ohmicide distortion, where you can set the input gain to the recommended fine spot for the processor. It's some kind of rms detector, that tells you when you hit the sweet spot.
In the nebula plugin a little green light should light up, and if you go over or under, a little red arrow accordingly.
highvoltage

Next

Return to AcquaVox