Login

How do I use this properly?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

Re: How do I use this properly?

Postby yr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Hello,

As suggested before, the VU meters on Acquavox/Nebula are not accurate. You can download the free PSP VintageMeter and set it so that -18dBFS=0VU. You can then place it prior to the Acquavox/Nebula instance for accurate VU metering.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:38 pm

ok, I'll check those meters... they were prepared inside the skin... I thought they were working. You should consider this is a RMS AES17 value, so it could differ from other softwares (based on peak mode, average mode, or standard RMS mode). I never tested it, but a normalized 1Khz sine should retrieve a -3dB value, could you check that?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby kindafishy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 pm

I may be a bit over my head here, but looking at PSP Vintage Meter and comparing it to the meters in Acquavox, it looks like Acquavox is set to 0dBFS = 0VU.

Looks like the forum is not displaying the full width of my animations, so you may have to save them locally or open them in another tab or something.

I've got a 0dB 1kHz sine wave going through PSP Vintage Meter and I have it set for 0dBFS = 0VU. The needles are at exactly 0VU. I switch to Acquavox and those meters are also at 0VU.

Animated version:

Here, I have made my track pretty hot and I am clipping it at 0dB. PSP Vintage Meter is still at 0dBFS = 0VU, and you can see that the meters match each other.

Animated version:

Here, I have FreeG set to RMS at around ~-17dB and I have PSP set to -17dBFS = 0VU (which is how Acquavox should be calibrated?). You can see that PSP is metering as expected, but Acquavox is not.

Animated version:

I hope none of this is misleading, and I hope this is showing you what you have asked.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm

I repeated your test and it is indeed correct- Acquavox metering is not set properly and measures 0dBFS=0VU.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby kindafishy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Any word on a update to AcquaVox to adjust the metering?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to AcquaVox