Login

How do I use this properly?

Share your experience, tips & tricks, show off your music.

How do I use this properly?

Postby kindafishy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:27 pm

So, should the input gain be adjusted so that the VU approaches 0, and the output gain adjusted to compensate? What if adjusting the input gain doesn't drive the VU very hot? Should a volume control be placed in front of the plugin then? How about drive? How does that work in relation to input and output gain?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: How do I use this properly?

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Gain IO will trim the IO levels, drive will trim only distortion kernel and if you use it you are breaking the relationship from the original gear.

0 VU is -18 dBFS in europe, working around this level for RMS values and about -12 to -6 dBFS on peak will be the correct values.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kindafishy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Not sure what my RMS is because my track only has peak meters (REAPER). Even if I push it so that it's peaking around -6 or so, the VU meter in Acquavox is barely moving at all. I think it goes to about -10 at the most (I think it's -10, the numbers are small and fuzzy), and that is when I have the input gain all the way up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is it a graphics processing thing?
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kindafishy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the link. The meter looks nice, but I can't figure out how to actually download it. It tells me I need to sign in, but doesn't give me the option to register anywhere. Maybe I have to be an existing customer? I am sure I can find another meter somewhere else though. Still, with peaking at -6, I can't see getting my RMS up any higher while maintaining reasonable peak levels without compression or a clipper.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:12 pm

FREE G is free...
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kindafishy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Yes... well, I had to decipher what the site was actually trying to tell me, but finally figured it out despite the miscommunication.

Had to download it by signing up for 'Downloading Demos'. Strange, but onward and upward...
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby kindafishy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Does this look normal, then?

kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby elam » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

OK kindafishy,
1 - Before posting just do a minimal research, you'll be surprise how much answers you can find ...

2 - Reaper (3.75) has RMS levels at least in it's master section (right click and chose what you need).

3 - Vu meters in Nebula for what I know are more eye candy that anything else.Don't trust them.

4 - Don't be surprise if your Reaper meters "clip" before those in FreeG.

5 - Good luck...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby kindafishy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 pm

elam, thanks for your reply. enriquesilveti, thanks for your help as well. I appreciate that you are offering your time and that you do so despite being under no obligation to offer help to new users.

With respect, I read the forums, searched Google, looked for a manual and didn't get the answers I was looking for, so I asked some questions here, posed in such a way that if others have the same questions, they would be answered for them as well.

REAPER RMS values on the master do not reflect the values on my individual tracks because of my pan laws. Master RMS is of little value when working with individual tracks in a full mix. There is a REAPER FR to included RMS meters on tracks. I hope it gets accepted.

If the VU meters are not functional, it would probably be best not to include them as there is a risk of having the software appear as if it does not function correctly.

I am guessing that the developers are trying to attract new users and potential customers by generously offering up free products like this. It has worked with me, as I am now interested in Nebula. I am also guessing that there are a lot of potential customers who won't put in the effort to make sure they are using it correctly and won't continue to push to find the answers. I care about my sound and I want to find and support talented developers so it is worth it to me.

I posted an animated clip that clearly shows what I am doing. To help me, and other potential users, can someone please tell me if this is how Acquavox is supposed to function? Are my inputs correct and is Acquavox behaving as expected?

A simple manual with best practices and explanations could make this a much better experience for new users. Believe me, if I could have just RTFM, I wouldn't have bothered anyone.

Thanks...
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to AcquaVox