Login

tapes and NAT

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

tapes and NAT

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:15 am

So I've read that 3 head tape machines are best for sampling because you can monitor off of the tape while recording. My concern is that you will still have minor phase drifting due to the motor speed fluctuations. Obviously it will be a major improvement over recording to tape, then rewinding and playing back- where you have two passes.

My question is that if you have some subtle drifting going on and the high frequencies in the tone sweep are phased a little differently between the different dynamic steps of the tones, what happens when you load the program made from that in Nebula? Does it produce phaser effects when interpolating between the different dynamic steps? Basically anything anyone has to offer about this topic would be appreciated...
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: tapes and NAT

Postby giancarlo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:03 am

it simply sounds badly. Result will be completely wrong. I suggest to record directly from monitor head.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: tapes and NAT

Postby Cupwise » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:32 pm

yes, but couldn't there still be small drift in the phase of the higher frequencies, even when monitoring straight off of the tape while recording?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nat