Login

Apogee Rosetta 800 for sampling?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Apogee Rosetta 800 for sampling?

Postby dpclarkson » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 am

How would you guys consider this unit for sampling?
I know that Prism is a cleaner AD, but when/if N.A.T.
will become available for OSX, I want to build some of
my own libraries, maybe for future commercial releases.
dpclarkson

Re: Apogee Rosetta 800 for sampling?

Postby tumburu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm sure the Rosetta is a very nice converter. Recently someone released an eq sampled with a FF400 and you wouldn't know if he didn't specify.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby voidar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:31 pm

This converter fascism has to end.

Ask yourself, does the DUT have less colouration than your ADDA? If yes, don't sample it.

Your answer will most likely be no 99.9% of the time which means, it does not matter.
voidar
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:15 pm

i agree with voidar. of course here i am using an rme hammerfall card for my radio/other stuff, so maybe i'm a bit biased. on the other hand, i also agree that higher quality converters will give higher quality results. but (and i know i'm not supposed to start a sentence with a 'but'), it gets a bit rediculous when someone asks if a rosetta 800 would be good enough. at a certain price point you only get very small gains in quality for larger and larger sums of money. also, consider where the tech is at now, and think about what kind of converters were being commonly used on professionaly released mainstream cds just back in the 90s, or even the 80s, and compare that to even a mid grade A/D now. should we throw out all of those old cds? the rme hammerfall i'm using gives almost a perfectly flat freq response from 70hz-22k, and pretty low distortion. sure, i still would like to be able to afford a 'mastering grade' converter, but also consider voidar's point of the color of the hardware you are sampling vs the a/d d/a.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nat