Login

new level of NAT transparency

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

new level of NAT transparency

Postby futur2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:35 pm

i think we need better NAT guidelines and tutorials. there are so many people out there willing to sample and share but almost all of them have problems reaching the best possible results. only the commercial 3rd party library makers seem to be able to get through. i don't think that's within the intention of nebula - or is it?
futur2

Re: new level of NAT transparency

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Agree, the more shared NAT knowledge is available the more third party programs (both commercial and non-commercial) will pop up. This is one of the really fantastic things about the way Acustica has steered Nebula (the program sampling and sharing).

Personally I have watched the Velinas video (which is a very good, basic starting point, I'll see if I can dig up the link) but I never really got too far past that; I found myself with a lot of questions that I wasn't finding the answers to.

I will have a browse through the old forums and try to bring over some links to this thread; there were a lot of threads (somewhat scattered) on the old forums which did contain a lot of interesting NAT info. Maybe if we get all that stuff into one place someone can begin to round it all up into a single tutorial/document.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:28 pm

I concour. But I also think I've voice my (not always agreable) opinion here quite a lot recently so I'll just stay on the sideline here.
lordnielson

Postby ericus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey guys! I kinda feel the same way. I remember struggling to do some stuff with NAT and I'm not an expert by any means. I remember sampling mono stuff without changing the template to mono and getting wierd results and wondering why...that was a little shameful... :oops:

So what I want to do is to try to get together with Mangel, pay for his time and have a NAT-Nebula course (masterclass) and I could then freely share the learned material with this community. And believe me, I have a ton of questions and I'm sure you have a lot too.

Since he's in Georgia and I'm in Orlando (Florida) it could work. But, he's really busy and my schedule is kind of restrictive so it's hard to find a time that could work for both of us.

Anyhow, Mangel wanted to do some kind of NAT FAQ in his website ClubVST. I neglected that part since I just moved into a new house and life's been crazy for the last few weeks.

So this could be a nice thing if it works, all of us could contribute and ask questions. Life is slowly getting back to normal so I'll check again with Mangel for the NAT masterclass and the NAT FAQ.

Just want mention that I really feel that all the third party guys I contacted for info regarding NAT (or else) were really helpful.

Take care!

Eric
ericus

Postby jet » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Come on giancarlo.
This is what it was all about.
jet
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby trickster » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:25 am

I had begun to lose hope that this is what it was all about. Seems as though the original plan for Nebula is slipping away so I hope something can be done about this.
trickster
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:37 am

I will help to offer guidance and deeper information for NAT.

It is not a simple process to perfect, and some things are not going to be revealed just with instructions.

There is a ton of good information about sampling and NAT and learning how to fine tune your system for sampling over at Nebula-Programs. Unfortunately, a lot of info has been covered in the past on the older forums, so there is a need for a permanent place for q&a just on NAT and I am going to make at least one location at ClubVST.

Please do keep in mind that Giancarlo has always been about opening the doors for a few of the earliest beta testers to make what would be considered commercial libraries. The goal has always been to encourage a strong sense of community, that when we learn things as beta's, that we help carry the information load for other customers, and that the goal with releases be focused on giving a great affordability and bringing new customers to Nebula.

I think Nebula is exactly on target where it has always been headed. There are more high quality programs, free and commercial, for more users on more platforms, including mac, cuda, and 64 bit, than any other time.

NAT is the most complete and sophisticaed back-end development provided directly to customers in comparison to anything I've ever seen. The goal has always been primarily to enourage users to have fun sampling things for their own use in addition to what is available directly from the Acustica Site. The concept for official commercial libraries has always been that they come from individuals that know the engine and background and have discussed business plans previous to release. We've always supplied many free programs along with commercial ones, and other free programs in between as well.

I don't want to go on a long time here, but I do want to stress that there are very practical, tedious processes that go along with NAT to make programs sound correct. Even as new compression programs and free items may come along, there are some things that still require fine tuning before they are worth the full devotion to sampling. I will go ahead and create a starting place on ClubVST to get back to posting an overview about what goes in to successful Nebula programming.

I hope that by doing so, it can help to move Nebula forwards in the same positive direction, making NAT more enjoyable for experimentation and exploration, and making the Neb engine more usable for everyone that uses it. My sincere hope is that it be seen and used always for the benefit of the community, both for items that are free, but also to help support commercial interests. Providing excellent programs is something that I strive to achieve, and I can only succeed in doing so with support. It is a process that I do believe in, and something that will always impress me with Nebula beyond any other vst platform.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:28 am

CDSoundMaster wrote:OK, here it is:

http://clubvst.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~70.asp

You're awesome, M! Can't wait to read through all that.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby futur2 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:30 am

CDSoundMaster wrote:OK, here it is:

http://clubvst.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~70.asp

wow, what a great start!
futur2

Next

Return to Working with Nat