Login

How to get started: Sampling N*****n/Telefunken EQ's

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

How to get started: Sampling N*****n/Telefunken EQ's

Postby rhodes54 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi all,

After reading a lot about Nebula I decided to buy it yesterday.
There's still a lot to explore but I need to start working with NAT right away.
I managed to lay my hand on some rare N*****n PEZ and Telefunken EQ's which I only have available for the weekend.
As they are very basic in use with very few controls (and sound absolutely fantastic by the way) they are the ultimate try out for NAT if you ask me.

I went through the software already and it doesn't look very hard but it would be great if somebody can give me some hints which steps to take to get started.

I can't seem to find a manual or 'hints and tips' for NAT3, or did I miss it?

Of course I would love to share my files in return for your help.

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by rhodes54 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: How to get started: Sampling N*****n/Telefunken EQ's

Postby rhodes54 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 pm

After a night of work -trial and error- I managed to create working (and non working) presets. I think I managed to find out how it works.

That leaves me one question for now: What is the difference between the 1 kernel and 3 kernel presets? And which one should I use?
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby lordnielson » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm

The more kernels you use the more saturation you are able to capture. (I think :ugeek: )

Though it's not as simple as that. Apparently you can wreck some of your samplings if you use too large kernel programs. Trial and error (I think).
But a general tutorial or explanation would be welcomed by the masses (I suspect).
lordnielson

Postby tumburu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:54 pm

There are many eq sampled at 3 kernels. I think it is a safe setting for sampling an eq. 1 kernel will only capture the curve of the eq (usable when stacking several programs coming from the same library if you don't wont too much coloration).

So i'd say do both 1 and 3 kernel versions at identical settings of the unit.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Yes, there's a thread somewhere on the old forum where Giancarlo explains that single kernel is just the linear behavior; I think this is the reason many EQs tend to be either 1 (just the curve as tumburu says) or 3 kernels (curve + some mojo).

I just checked a bunch of the EQ programs I have loaded on this machine, they seem to all be 1-3 kernels (the 1 kernel programs I found, some of the EQs in the RASS, are meant to be front-ended by one of the RASS preamp colors, I believe).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby rhodes54 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks all for your replies. I already decided exactly what you are proposing: Do both 1 an 3 kernel versions.
I started an hour ago and currently busy with the 60 Hz band of the N*****n PEZ EQ. It is such an amazing EQ! Made long before I was born ;)
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby tumburu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:28 pm

Yeah, that 60Hz band is somehow famous. Very curious about your results. What samplerate are you using for sampling?
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby rhodes54 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:37 pm

tumburu wrote:Yeah, that 60Hz band is somehow famous. Very curious about your results. What samplerate are you using for sampling?

It's not only the low band that is beautiful. Wait until you hear the mid band and (sweeeet) high band. :-)

I'm sampling at 96 Khz. That is definitely a must when you want to sample the harmonics correctly. Besides that high quality DA/AD conversion is used to get the best possible 'fingerprint'.

The low and high band has been sampled meanwhile. Currently doing the mid or "presence" band, as N*****n called it. And that's quite a work: 7 bands x 5 gain settings = 35 samples. pfff. :|
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby lordnielson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:53 am

Remember to pay attention to your gainstaging.

I'm doing my Great River pre (in another thread) and I noticed that if I drive it with Nebula as hard as I do when I normally record I seem to get some really warped looking frequency responces. So I back it down just a little bit.

Not sure if this applies to your project or if it's the right way of doing it at all. Just a heads up. ;)
lordnielson

Postby rhodes54 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Yes, it applies to my program because you really need headroom in order to be able to sample a 9 dB boost on 60Hz. I did some tests first to find the correct gain settings.

The sampling went quite ok so far except for the high band. It seems that the +3 dB step sounds softer than the rest while I absolutely did not touch the gains. I might redo it today.
rhodes54
User Level IV
User Level IV

Next

Return to Working with Nat