Login

Soundcard recommendations?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Soundcard recommendations?

Postby JEL » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Looking for sound-card recommendations :)

The minimum requirements etc.

Other tools that are especially useful for NAT-related work.

For now I've been testing NAT workflow only at 44kHz with a simple setup, but interested in people's suggestions for hardware needed to make professionally acceptable programs.

Thanks
JEL
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Soundcard recommendations?

Postby RE301 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Almost 15yrs ago a friend of mine convinced me to get the Metric Halo 2882 which I am still using all these years later, thanks to the company's 'future proofing' ethos and firmware/driver updates - keeping their legacy products from going obsolete.

Great sounding & good sound/build quality/options/long term use vs $ ratio.. They seem a great 'boutique' family-run company..

However (!) - big disqualification for NAT use unfortunately as no Windows drivers yet.. ( promised as being just around the corner - since the beginning!).. Which takes the classic software coder 'two weeks' planned finish time projection to a new level :-0
RE301

Postby JEL » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Yes, for my use a windows-driver is needed, since I'm on windows.

96kHz sample-rate is the minimum acceptable, correct?
Or would 44kHz-only programs also have a future?
JEL
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Support » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 pm

JEL wrote: ...
96kHz sample-rate is the minimum acceptable, correct?
Or would 44kHz-only programs also have a future?

there is no "minimum acceptable" i guess.
the best result you'll get, when you sample the gear at the exact rate you want to use it with. if it matches, the result is most perfect.
you need to take into account the quality of your converter. high quality converters sound good at any rate starting from 44,1 khz up to 96khz.
for higher sr, many electrotechnicians say, that you get other problems up there, so higher numbers do not equal "better".

so direct answer: programs at 44,1 khz do absolutely have a future for people working at 44,1 khz in their daw.

i am working mainly at 48 khz, so i do sample at that rate, when doing free programs.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:16 pm

The best thing that happened to me soundcard wise was TC Impact Twin.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby JEL » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:01 am

Support wrote:http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/lyra/lyra_home.php

Lyra 1 seems spot on for this kind of sampling. Interesting indeed.

Couldn't find a danish retailer for it, but a german one had it, so could be an option, thanks :)

mathias wrote:there is no "minimum acceptable" i guess.
the best result you'll get, when you sample the gear at the exact rate you want to use it with. if it matches, the result is most perfect.
you need to take into account the quality of your converter. high quality converters sound good at any rate starting from 44,1 khz up to 96khz.
for higher sr, many electrotechnicians say, that you get other problems up there, so higher numbers do not equal "better".

so direct answer: programs at 44,1 khz do absolutely have a future for people working at 44,1 khz in their daw.

i am working mainly at 48 khz, so i do sample at that rate, when doing free programs.

Yes, that makes sense :) (sampling at the rate you want to use, so you avoid unnecessary conversions as much as possible)

With my own music I work at 44.1kHz through the entire digital chain (except for plugins that oversample internally), but I'm not sure that commercial programs at that rate is really possible anymore (with Henry Olonga and others giving away their 44.1kHz programs for free)

I'm test-sampling different things through a prosumer-card at the moment (at 44.1kHz) and I'm getting quite good results with this already.
My first tests used 2 sound-cards (one for input and another for output), but for some reason I got severe phasing-issues that way (I assume it was jitter-related). So I think I'm learning some good lessons already :)

basaristudios@gmail.com wrote:The best thing that happened to me soundcard wise was TC Impact Twin.

I looked that one up too, but couldn't find any dealers for it (I found a few forum-links where people were selling their used models, so I assume it's an older card)
Seemed to be similar to the Lyra though, so at least I now have an idea of what type of card to look for :)
JEL
User Level I
User Level I

Postby botus99 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Anyone have an opinion on the (now discontinued) Echo interfaces in terms of sound quality?
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:03 am

Do yourself the favour and have a look at the Seraph PCI cards by Marian. Pretty much incredibly good quality, I think. 32bit DA btw.! I almost can't imagine any interface being more "invisible" in a good sense.
The software router is amazing, too.

Regarding the Echo interfaces - years ago I had a Gina 24, and while it was usable, the difference to recent converters is quite stunning. I A/B'd it to the Steinberg MR816, which was clearly (!) superior. Now compare the MR, which gets a lot of praise everywhere (for a reason), to the Marian - it's another step up. I frankly don't understand why those converters seem to be under everyone's radar!?
beingmf3

Postby mathias » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:49 am

the marian seraph ad2 looks certainly good. and for that price!
good mention!
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nat