Login

adjusting volume when sampling?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

adjusting volume when sampling?

Postby JEL » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:00 am

I generate the test-tones...
I get 3 of them...

The long one with all the sine-sweeps at decreasing volume.

I also get 2 small ones called:
"*_EA.wav" and "*_ER.wav"

I'm currently test-sampling an EQ VST to learn things before I begin sampling some hardware.

So I add the EQ and run these 3 test-tones through it (I render the audio out to 3 new 'colored' test-tones which I use for NAT3pro's deconvolve-feature.

The question:

Must I render all 3 test-tones out from the DAW at the same volume? Or should I adjust volume separately for each 3?

If I adjust volume for the first sine-sweep (the one that peaks at 0dBFS) in the long test-tone, then sometimes the 2 short test-tones are louder (and cause clipping in the DAW during export)

I have set the VST EQ I'm testing to produce some boosts and cuts to the EQ spectrum, and the overall volume-gain inside the DAW (it's a dynamic EQ) is +5dBFS when I use the sine-sweep that peaks at 0dBFS, but +9dBFS on both of the 2 short test-tones (the _EA and _ER versions)

My guess is all 3 test-tones must be recorded at the same volume to retain correlation, and that I should test which of the 3 test-tones produce the loudest output and then set the gain for all 3 test-tones based on that loudest one, but I'm not sure :)
JEL
User Level I
User Level I

Re: adjusting volume when sampling?

Postby Support » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:29 pm

I also get 2 small ones called:
"*_EA.wav" and "*_ER.wav"

Attack and Release files for compressors only.

If I adjust volume for the first sine-sweep (the one that peaks at 0dBFS) in the long test-tone, then sometimes the 2 short test-tones are louder (and cause clipping in the DAW during export) I have set the VST EQ I'm testing to produce some boosts and cuts to the EQ spectrum, and the overall volume-gain inside the DAW (it's a dynamic EQ) is +5dBFS when I use the sine-sweep that peaks at 0dBFS, but +9dBFS on both of the 2 short test-tones (the _EA and _ER versions)

You are sampling in analog, levels are in dBu, please check the maximum value of you DA and the equipment, then find the combination of knobs that generate the maximum output level, then adjust the level in NAT to avoid recorded files with levels upper than -1 dBFS to 0 dBFS. Soon as you distort digital signal you start to waste your time due emulation preset will be corrupted, soon as you distort analog equipment you also start to waste.

As an example N**e consoles distort at +26 dBu but normally AD are calibrated for 0 VU = +4 dBu = -18 dBFS, so 0 dBFS should be (4 + 18) = +22 dBu.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby JEL » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Attack and Release files for compressors only.

So I can ignore them when sampling a pre-amp?

Is it enough to only sample the long test-tone with the sine-sweeps?

Or do I still need to also sample those 2 files through the analog hardware?
JEL
User Level I
User Level I

Postby JEL » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:23 pm

I found the answer :)

They can be ignored.

Thank you
JEL
User Level I
User Level I

Return to Working with Nat