Login

Need advise to capture a nice sounding reverb

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Need advise to capture a nice sounding reverb

Postby janhonkys » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Can somebody help me, adjust the NAT3, for best possible quality to "sample" a nice reverb unit.
Possible means, what a average quadcore computer can handle, with a cpu load of 20 percent for single instance.
What i´m looking for is, the cpu load can by big, not as big that i need a nasa computer with 72 cores (for the best quality)
Maybe somebody can explain, which value or values in NAT3, determine the quality, so i can make some decisions by my self.

It´s a digital reverb, with high overtone content, up to 10 harmonics.
The reveb times varies from 500ms to 20 seconds.
Thank you guys.

You can visit me at http://backyard-amps.jimdo.com/
janhonkys
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Need advise to capture a nice sounding reverb

Postby mathias » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:29 am

what makes up for cpu cycles is
1) the length of a kernel (related to reverbtail length),
2) the number of kernels and
3) if you choose dynamic sampling (different inputlevels generate layers of kernels which are described by 1) and 2) ).

so you have to make a tradeoff between these parameters.
it depends on your device and what characteristics of it seem most imprtant to you.
for example 10 kernels and a long reverb tail will easily max out the cpu, so there is the first tradeoff you have to make.
also, i don't know, if Nebula is currently able to "play" long reverbs with higher numbers of kernels without ringing (or similar) artefacts.

so maybe try with a one kernel reverb sampletemplate first and hear how it sounds in nebula. there is a 3 kernel reverb sampletemplate for nat, but it is limited in kernellength.

exploring dynamic layers (point 3) from above) may be more successful with your project and the available free nat3.
make sure to take time for some preliminary experiments with nat and how everything works, as it has some real quirks, which can easily make you frustrated, when you don't know how to work around them.
make some testsamplings with one kernel, short kernellength (start with the 500 ms reverb) templates, to explore the workflow.

good luck with this, being a "zen-master" is certainly beneficial for working with nat ;)
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but Mathias mentions something above I've wondered about - which is the 'ring' artifact that sometimes occurs in some nebula reverbs... can anyone suggest what steps to take in order to reduce or eliminate 'ring' ? ..the scenario is not using NAT, but in using 3rd party reverbs in Nebula in the context of mixing.. thanks in advance to the JEDI-masters of reverb :-) !!
RE301

Postby mathias » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:00 pm

i had it happen in some rare cases in nebula with reverb programs. it was not always ringing, sometimes some lowlevel crickle/crackle artefacts for lowfreq content also.

i was pointing it out above, because with increasing number of kernels, kernellength and dynamic layers, the chance for kernelswitching-artefacts gets higher. you have to experiment with the device you are sampling.

to set liquidity higher (it is at 0 normally in reverbs) always cures it.
you have to experiment, where to set it to get rid of the artefacts.
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby RE301 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:03 pm

mathias wrote:
to set liquidity higher (it is at 0 normally in reverbs) always cures it.
you have to experiment, where to set it to get rid of the artefacts.

Thank you!! That's great to know! :-)

(begone=ringing)
RE301

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:23 pm

@ mathias: Thanks for this useful info!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby janhonkys » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Thank you a lot,
this is really, a big help.
I start now, the acustica support have send me the NAT3 session.
So i report back, what i have done.
janhonkys
User Level I
User Level I

Return to Working with Nat