Login

M/S possible in Nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

M/S possible in Nebula?

Postby beingmf3 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:41 am

I want to nebulize a room that sounds absolutely amazing for drums, but: since I tend to use 50% mono and 50% stereo drums, it would be extremely handy to sample it in M/S. Sliders could possibly determine the width.

Is this feasible or is it a better idea to do 1 mono and 1 stereo session - and end up with 2 different programs?
beingmf3

Re: M/S possible in Nebula?

Postby Support » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Is this feasible or is it a better idea to do 1 mono and 1 stereo session - and end up with 2 different programs?

Current correct feasible way...
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 am

what mics do you want to use? omni and figure eight?

for the stereoprogram of the s-channel it will be necessary to split the mic to two channels and flip the phase on one channel before the NAT input (another method would be to work on the sampled wave file to do the phaseflip and then deconvolve it again).

nebula does not have a phase switch for channels internally.

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 am

mathias wrote:what mics do you want to use? omni and figure eight?
mathias

Yep, the technical part so far is clear. I just wonder if I use the 2 raw mic signals as a source and decode them after the Nebula instance.
Though I'm quite attracted by the idea to sample the room in 2 different mic configurations = more variety :)
beingmf3

Postby mathias » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:19 pm

to sample all single mics to single nebula instances definitely gives great flexibility. with modern daws it is easy to route/manipulate all these channels.
you could record all the mics you have in mind and mix them later ...

something else that comes to my mind:
i don't know if you are familiar with the polarflex idea from schoeps (the microphone manufacturer).
when you record an omni and figure eight as a coincident pair, but with the figure eight facing forward (best done with small condenser mics), you can later change the polar pattern on different frequencyregions, by mixing them together and changing the mixproportion in the different frequency regions.

this gives tremendous options, especially with drums in a room, to shape the sound of the room.

mathias

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby mathias » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:24 pm

another thought:

what really is something to think about, is how you play out the sinesweep for the sampling. as a drumset does emanate sound in many different directions, it could be well worth to experiment a little with different speakers and directions, maybe more than one speaker at once in different directions ... subwoofer ... 8-)

mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Wow, mathias! That Polarflex plugin (and the concept behind it) looks really really handy! Might try a "pseudo Polarflex" recording without the whole NAT shebang first and then decide if it's worth the hassle.

Re: speakers. I've not yet decided which ones to use (there's 2 PA systems available as well), but since the room is rather accentuated in the mid to top range, I think a subwoofer wouldn't bring anything useful to the table [don't you CUT anything <100 in rooms anyway?? I do, FWIW]. Unfortunately, I don't like carrying my Tannoys around *that much* :D
beingmf3

Postby mathias » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:38 pm

8-) let's see what you get with polarflex ...
it is rarely talked about, but is a great concept/technique.

you are probably right with the bassrange of the room.
i only cut, when the room is really boomy, otherwise i roll off the bassrange to the degree i find it necessary.
when the room has a good and clear bass response, without boomyness, it could be nice to get that sample, it can be cut/rolled off later in the mix.
i think of jazz or acoustic music, that will sound big and warm, with enough bass filled in.
you will have to experiment with a few samplings i guess, to get an impression how it will turn out.

mathias

mathias
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nat