Login

Community Sample Releases Help

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Community Sample Releases Help

Postby jorismak » Mon May 19, 2014 3:46 pm

But you said the .n2p and .n2v files got created?

In Nat, did you give the correct path to your nebula-repository? Go to the Settings menu and then preferences. It lists a 'data path' here, is it correct? If not, it can't copy the .n2p and .n2v files to the correct location and they won't show up.

Copying them manually to the correct Programs\ and Vectors\ folder should do the trick as well.

If that still doesn't work, it seems they are corrupted. Did it take a very long time for them to be created after capturing / clicking deconvolve?

I only know of a few things that can go wrong in NAT:
  • 1. The N2P/N2V files are created, the program shows up in Nebula and loads fine. It just doesn't sound the way you want to
  • 2. The N2P/N2V files are created, the program shows up in Nebula but refuses to load (jumps back to Init program).
  • 3. The N2P/N2V files seem to be created OK but they won't show up in Nebula
  • 4. No files are created, sampling and/or deconvolving aborts

4 = probably wrong parameters in the 'expert' tab, or the test-tone that is generated is too long so the files got too big (> 2GB) during deconvolving and analyzing.
3 = N2p/N2v files are not put in the correct folder, or you had Nebula open while using NAT. Copy the files manually to test and make sure you don't have your DAW open while working with NAT (and close NAT before opening your DAW to test programs).
2 = Probably wrong parameters, like trying to create a few extra knobs while the NAT-session you loaded doesn't has them. Could also be authorization / encryption related, but since you're not working with that yet you can rule it out :).
1 = This is the real fun, this can be everything from wrong parameters, to wrong session to noise or delay in the sampling-process. This is stuff AcusticaAudio can help with if they're willing :).
jorismak

Postby deehope » Mon May 19, 2014 4:58 pm

[quote="jorismak"]But you said the .n2p and .n2v files got created?

In Nat, did you give the correct path to your nebula-repository? Go to the Settings menu and then preferences. It lists a 'data path' here, is it correct? If not, it can't copy the .n2p and .n2v files to the correct location and they won't show up.

Copying them manually to the correct Programs\ and Vectors\ folder should do the trick as well.

If that still doesn't work, it seems they are corrupted. Did it take a very long time for them to be created after capturing / clicking deconvolve?

I only know of a few things that can go wrong in NAT:
[list][*]1. The N2P/N2V files are created, the program shows up in Nebula and loads fine. It just doesn't sound the way you want to
[*]2. The N2P/N2V files are created, the program shows up in Nebula but refuses to load (jumps back to Init program).
[*]3. The N2P/N2V files seem to be created OK but they won't show up in Nebula
[*]4. No files are created, sampling and/or deconvolving aborts[/list]

4 = probably wrong parameters in the 'expert' tab, or the test-tone that is generated is too long so the files got too big (> 2GB) during deconvolving and analyzing.
3 = N2p/N2v files are not put in the correct folder, or you had Nebula open while using NAT. Copy the files manually to test and make sure you don't have your DAW open while working with NAT (and close NAT before opening your DAW to test programs).
2 = Probably wrong parameters, like trying to create a few extra knobs while the NAT-session you loaded doesn't has them. Could also be authorization / encryption related, but since you're not working with that yet you can rule it out :).
1 = This is the real fun, this can be everything from wrong parameters, to wrong session to noise or delay in the sampling-process. This is stuff AcusticaAudio can help with if they're willing :).[/quote]
Thanks for the response. It has the right datapath and It doesnt deposit the files to the tempdepository. It was before i upgraded to the latest nebula. Ive manually moved the files to the tempdepository and it still doesnt show up. Its definitly number 3
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby jorismak » Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 pm

which session file do you use? And do you make any changes to it? Please describe.

Otherwise I'm kinda stumped here :)
jorismak

Postby deehope » Tue May 20, 2014 4:40 am

so the issue seems to be 44.1k, the files shop up in nebula when i sample at 96k. I wonder if I can send someone some audio files to post here. I did a 10 kernel test and it nailed the tone of the preamp but the hardware is louder at the same rms value as the nebula one. Its clearly compressing the file which the nebula one isn't. Should I resample pushing the input harder on the hardware or should i sample it as a compressor?

I'm still having issues with NAT. For instance Im doing 19 samples on a low shelf EQ using the 1 knob 1 kernel eq session. The first sample is fine, it will take the minute it says it will to complete, then the second sample will take like 2 seconds, and the 3rd sample will just hang. Wont even start and will sit there for 30 minutes. If I try to stop it stilt just hangs.
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Support » Tue May 20, 2014 9:00 am

deehope wrote:so the issue seems to be 44.1k, the files shop up in nebula when i sample at 96k. I wonder if I can send someone some audio files to post here. I did a 10 kernel test and it nailed the tone of the preamp but the hardware is louder at the same rms value as the nebula one. Its clearly compressing the file which the nebula one isn't. Should I resample pushing the input harder on the hardware or should i sample it as a compressor?

I'm still having issues with NAT. For instance Im doing 19 samples on a low shelf EQ using the 1 knob 1 kernel eq session. The first sample is fine, it will take the minute it says it will to complete, then the second sample will take like 2 seconds, and the 3rd sample will just hang. Wont even start and will sit there for 30 minutes. If I try to stop it stilt just hangs.

Two complete different issues. Without complete information it's almost impossible to help you. We must know the session that are you using and the complete setting of each session.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Tue May 20, 2014 11:17 am

Make sure that if your audio interface is set to 44.1k the NAT session is too (and the same for 96000). In the 'expert' tab you have a samplerate option, make sure they match up. And always - to be sure - make sure you save the session before starting to sample. Make sure you save under a new name, and not the original session name :P.

As far as I know - correct me if wrong Enrique or Giancarlo - every session can be used in offline-sampling, even if it is not an session from the 'offline folder'. You can try to test with offline first just to make sure your levels and the equipment is set up right. Specially with sampling multiple positions of a knob like in an EQ I think it's handy to use offline, because you can take your time and relax while doing it all and preparing the files :).

In the end it is handier (I think, saw it mentioned once) to do stuff online, because with the delay-test in NAT it's easy to set things up. But for your first tests, it's OK to use offline mode just to see if all goes OK.

And I just find it handier to record my takes in a DAW to see and hear the resulting recordings first before going through NAT. For instance, I had my recording levels not set up right, so everything I sampled game in at too low a level, making Nebula think everything should be reduced in gain and thus giving the 'compression' effect you talk about. Doing some test runs in your DAW to make sure what goes out comes back in at the same level will help NAT a lot :).

Also - while testing - you could try to shorten the test tone a bit just to make it all go faster. Then when you know it's all alright, set it back to the original values to gain the best sampling-quality.
jorismak

Postby Support » Tue May 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Check that Sampler > Expert > Tone > Rate (Hz) has the same value than Settings > Audio Settings > Rate (Hz).

You can force NAT SR in Nat3.xml file editing by hand the tag rate. Example:

<RATE> 96000 </RATE>
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby deehope » Wed May 21, 2014 5:43 am

Thanks for all the help. I have been checking that the rates match. That doesn't seem to be the issue. As long as I'm in 96k it seems to work. Im still unable to sample my eq. When I use 1 kernel eq sessions i get a slap back/echo effect in the generated file. The only way I've been able to successfully produce an eq program was by using a sample session and sampling the HPF signal.

How would I go about sampling more of the compression/distortion the preamp has to offer. As i said before my samples are nailing the tone. I'd love to do something like Cupwises Passthrough programs.
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby jorismak » Wed May 21, 2014 8:38 am

Did you do the correct latency / delay timings? (In settings -> audio settings there is a 'check' button at the bottom that measures the latency of your chain.
In the 'sampler' there is also a 'check' button that you need to press before starting to measure (And correct) the latency.

And did you try doing it offline (the EQ) as I suggested? It generates a .wav file to use as a test tone, and a .txt file with all the settings you should sample + the filenames you should name them. You can then record all the settings whenever you want or with breaks in between :), and when all the files are there you hit a button and NAT will do its thing.

And capturing the input/output stage of the EQ should be a matter of not touching the EQ dials and using a NAT-session like 'DISTORTED PRE (10 KERNELS) - STONE3' I guess.
jorismak

Previous

Return to Working with Nat