Login

offline multi not working

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

offline multi not working

Postby jorismak » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Ok, I'm going crazy, what am I doing wrong?

I'm doing very basic offline (_testing_) sampling. I seem to have no problem sampling a VST-plugin reverb, preamp-tube emulation and guitar-cab-emulator. I had to downgrade NAT3 a few versions back, but it's now going OK.

I can sample those, deconvolving works and the Nebula programs seem to sound very good (and actually null-testing reveals they are pretty spot on).

But as soon as I try to enter some multi parameters, the resulting Nebula program refuses to load (jumps back to the INIT program). Generating the tone + instructions.txt is OK, sampling and rendering to the target files and then deconvolving is no issue, and I get a .n2p/.n2v file no problem (and NAT seems to put them in my nebula-repository automatically?).
But if I use multi, the resulting program refuses to load. I tried all kinds of different offline-sessions but they all seem to have the same problem.

If I pick a simple _online_ session (like 'Clean Reverb (2 sec).xml') but then use offline-sampling anyway, it seems to work. But I don't think this is how I'm supposed to do offline multis :). (Results don't seem to be as good as when using the proper offline sessions for instance).

What am I doing wrong?
I'm trying to go for the same effect OwnHammer does with his Nebula programs, in creating a 'position' slider for the microphone position.

What is the right way to control how Nebula interpolates between the slider positions? Some sliders seem to be a choice (OwnHammer's position for example, you can just pick 1 through 9, not 1.5 or something, nebula just let you choose one out of 9 captures in the program) while other sliders you can go in between the samples values (filters and equalizers for example. How can I specify this in NAT?

Should I use bus values of (for example) 0-1000-2000-3000 to let Nebula morph between them and bus values of 0-1-2-3 to NOT let Nebula go in between the values? Or is there a flag somewhere?

Also, (curiousity here) what is the 'Type' column in a multi knob, it's set default to 'AU'. Same goes for the 'flat' column in the values, it's set default to 'N', what does it do?
jorismak

Re: offline multi not working

Postby Support » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Confirmed. NAT3 v 1.3.681 has some issues. I'm reporting today.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:29 pm

I asked on my ticket and asked here, yet no clear answer all this time:

- Is it normal you can't create multi parameters on every session? Does it have to be in the template?
- If it has to be in the template, how are we supposed to make - for example - a 'Preamp Distorted 7 kernels' (an existing session) but with multi?!? Ask Acustica for every template I want to test with that's not there??
- How to make a multi where the parameters go from 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 without anything in between? It snaps from value to value?
jorismak

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:49 am

you cant modify the numer of parameters, correct. Load a different session
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 am

you should not ask for a template, use nly provided sessions, they cover pretty everything. Yes, snappy values
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby jorismak » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:48 am

'yes snappy values'

That's like the 8th time (both on forum and official ticket) that I try to ask _HOW_? Love Nebula and used it for over a year now, but the bad communication from Acustica is just really starting to piss me off. It seems that you guys just always read the first 3 sentences or something, and then answer it, or even just say 'issue is reported' (while it was a question) or link to the collection of Nebula tips-of-the-month only to find that the answer is nowhere there. It seems the inability to read and write english is starting to become a major issue.

So still, how to do snappy values. HOW.

And you say I can't enable multi on just any session, it must have support for it. Ok, I understand that. And you say the supplied sessions are enough.

Well, I have the existing session 'Distorted Pre (7 kernels) - stone3' and 'Distorted Reverb (0,5 sec)'. I want those with a 1 knob multi. Tell me how.
jorismak

Postby giancarlo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

nat is meant to be used in the way provided, without tuning, and going slowly starting sampling simple things.
At the moment we dont provide much support and the product is going to be removed completely. Only offcial 3rd party developers have enough infos for tuning it. If a session is missing simply you cant have that behaviour. You cant tune it, you should ask on official channels but beware, we are terribly slow
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Support » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm

jorismak wrote:I asked on my ticket and asked here, yet no clear answer all this time

Which ticket number? Support tickets has less than 24 hours delay on working days and 72 hours delay in weekends. Use support tickets for quick response.

- Is it normal you can't create multi parameters on every session? Does it have to be in the template?

Yes, you can but for several types of models has no sense. No, but the template should able you to deconvolve.

- If it has to be in the template, how are we supposed to make - for example - a 'Preamp Distorted 7 kernels' (an existing session) but with multi?!?

Multi means dimensions. Why you want to use it?

Ask Acustica for every template I want to test with that's not there?

Template are not available to customers.

- How to make a multi where the parameters go from 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 without anything in between? It snaps from value to value?

The correct name is step values. Nebula will not interpolate those values. Try "SWITCH" NAT sessions.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Support wrote:Which ticket number? Support tickets has less than 24 hours delay on working days and 72 hours delay in weekends. Use support tickets for quick response.

TECH-0000000138. My annoyance is not that you don't reply. It is that you seem to reply without reading and jumping to answers which are not right. I asked about how to do things, or why certain things are not working, and those questions get ignored. Instead, I get a generic answer 'it is probably a filename that is not there' even while I said that the same session is working fine in a previous NAT version. And you link to a NAT tip-of-the-month, while I said in my original ticket question that I already tried following those steps to the letter. Like I said, it seems as if you don't even read it.
My last response in the ticket was very clearly and short laid out in 4 numbered points, and I opened it with 'please read carefully'. The only thing I get back is 'I will report your issues', while completely ignoring the questions in the message.

If I see the same thing happening here on the forum it's very hard NOT to get frustrated.

Support wrote:Yes, you can but for several types of models has no sense. No, but the template should able you to deconvolve.

Sorry, but your attempt at English is quite hard to follow. Do you mean 'template' or 'session' here? Because Giancarlo says I can't do anything with templates and have to work with the session pack you gave us.

I by now understand that I can't just add knobs to a session that isn't made to have knobs to begin with. It must be in the session from the start. But there are a lot of sessions that have no variants with knobs or switches?!?! How are we supposed to make them?

Support wrote:Multi means dimensions. Why you want to use it?

'Multi' as in how NAT3 calls it, multiple knobs, sliders, whatever. I have something in 3 variations I want to sample with a slider to choose between them (and maybe even blend between them). The session that sounds best after testing is 'Preamp distorted 7 kernels', but there is no session with switches that does 'preamp distorted 7 kernels'. So how can I do it?

Another example is the reverbs. There are some sessions with clean reverbs and one switch. But if I want to sample a reverb with kernels and distortion ('Distorted Reverb (0,5 sec).xml') there is no session with a switch/knob?!?

Support wrote:Template are not available to customers.

??! But they are there you just don't want to give them to 'regular customers'? Sounds like bullshit and mismarketing. You clearly state that the NAT3 that comes with Nebula3Pro and Nebula3Server contains the ability to make switches/step values/multi in the programs, yet apparently that is only possible with a select few (low kernel) sessions. There are no sessions with more kernels _and_ switches, and you are unwilling to give them apparently. While it's clear that 3rd party devs use them.

Support wrote:The correct name is step values. Nebula will not interpolate those values. Try "SWITCH" NAT sessions.

Thanks, I thought I tried that already (switch VAR and such) but I will test again, maybe I did something wrong.
jorismak

Postby kels » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Template are not available to customers.

At the moment we dont provide much support and the product is going to be removed completely.

Jorismak, I'm with you on that.
I tried to sample things a few months ago but got lost and abandonned it due to the serious amount of time needed to do it well. My target since post#1 is to progressively clear out all the gear I have ... but I have to sample everything first.

Some months ago, NAT suddenly stopped working and GianCarlo said 'It will be repaired' ... Without the help of a great member, I wouldn't be able to have a working NAT at this time.

It is clearly stated that NAT comes complete. I'm afraid now I can't reach my goal. Seriously, I'm upset to see all this. I hope it's just a general misunderstanding or that we can arrange things as best as we can.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to Working with Nat