Login

Dimension D

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Dimension D

Postby kkunkel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:04 am

Why hasn't anybody sampled the Dimension D? I have one in the studio, and I would like to sample it... do I just select a chorus preset and let it rip? There are only 4-modes.
kkunkel
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Dimension D

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:09 pm

I would love to have that but have no clue how NAT works :lol:
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby kkunkel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:41 am

I have been sampling a plugin version of the D, before I'll start with the real thing. I just need to get the timing right...if somebody could please give me a tip? I don't know how to set the adjustment volume of the period (in the Sampler window) I could check with I sine how long one sweep takes in ms and then fill it into NAT? I am almost there sounds good! :ugeek:

(I'll be glad to share my results)
kkunkel
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 pm

the reason why nobody has sampled it, is because sampling time modulated stuff is a lot trickier than something like a preamp or a console, which just from my honest perspective are easy as cake to sample.

you have basically 2 groups of people doing the sampling, the 3rd party devs selling their stuff, and the community releases that some members of the community do and just release/share as freebies. as should be expected, the 3rd party devs almost surely put more work in their releases than those people releasing free stuff. i'm not saying that's always the case for sure, nor am i trying to diminish the efforts of the people doing community releases. what i am saying is that if you're going to sell something, you'll want it to be 'top-notch'. and the problem is that time variant stuff is this whole other ball game of sampling. the fact that no 3rd party dev has done ANY time variant stuff, should speak to that. it's not a question of why hasn't anyone done dimension D, just take a look, no dev has done ANY chorus, ANY flanger, any of that stuff.

i think doing it and getting results that really are very close to the hardware, would be VERY tricky. you might get results that you think are close, and maybe they are 'close' in some ways and maybe they even sound good and can work as useful effects, but i imagine there will be flaws. if 3rd party devs thought they could easily sample this stuff and get results that actually reflected the hardware closely, they'd be doing it.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby kkunkel » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for your reply... that makes it clear, I'll just run some tones through and see if I get a useful fx :-)
kkunkel
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 am

kkunkel wrote:Thanks for your reply... that makes it clear, I'll just run some tones through and see if I get a useful fx :-)

yeah, don't take me the wrong way. i'm not trying to discourage you AT ALL. i'm just answering the 'why hasn't anyone sampled this yet' part of your post really. it probably is something that would be best done by the 'community' samplers, rather than a 3rd part 'dev' who sells their stuff, because usually with the commercial nebula releases there is more of an emphasis on the accuracy, and i don't think anyone has figured out how to do this stuff accurately. but you can clearly see from the official acustica library, that 'time variant' stuff like this CAN 'sound good' and be useful, in nebula.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby moops » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 pm

I'd been tempted to try this myself with a Dim-D plugin I have - Just out of interest, how good are the results you have so far?
Paul
moops
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby krikun » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Paul,

my plan was to find the settings, that work with a plugin and then to go ahead and sample the real thing... but I haven't found a good setting yet and I am not sure what all of the parameters do.

The adjustment volume of the period (in the Sampler window) seems to make a difference, but I tried both very long and short and I wasn't too happy with the results.

Have a listen, I put it in my dropbox but please note, that it is just a rough first try of a newbie ;)

Here is the link, maybe we can make it happen, let me know if you find something out:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30826411/DimD.zip

(please allow some time to upload...)

Kris
krikun
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby moops » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:58 am

Hey Kris - I just downloaded your file though won't be at a machine with nebula on til the weekend, so won't be able to try till then. I must confess I've currently no NAT experience, which is to say, I've a pile of stuff I've been meaning to sample but haven't managed to allocate any time to it...hopefully the Christmas period will provide me with a little NAT one-on-one sampling time.

I'll ping back when I've had a chance to listen this weekend. Logically NAT should be able to capture this without issue, it hopefully will be just a matter of settings (rather than anything more fundamental). I'll also maybe fire up NAT this weekend to see what the scope of allowable setting is.

Cheers
Paul
moops
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby RJHollins » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 am

A side question, please.

How does one sample a VST plugin using NAT ?

Specifically wondering if this is via software patching from a sequencer [like Reaper]? or what ?

Thanks for any insights.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nat