Login

Can this unit even be sampled?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Can this unit even be sampled?

Postby botus99 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey guys! I've been experimenting with NAT and have no problems with preamp and EQ programs and I want to delve into some dynamic processing. Here is the unit I want to sample, a D*x 3BX. It is a 3 band expander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGq3UOHL ... re=related

Not my video, but it will give you an idea as to how it works. I've been using it on drums to reduce bleed/increase "thwack", distorted guitars to create some extra movement, and acoustic guitars to enhance pick clarity. It also does great on busses when you want an element to poke out of the speakers more. There isn't much info about it online :roll: but it's an invaluable and unique piece of my studio that I won't be giving up soon!

So I'm wondering if you think I should do 3 separate sampling sessions to sample each band individually or all in one session. I've made a couple attempts using the Fast Dynamic Gear offline presets which captured the tone/harmonics well, but not the dynamic action. I knew it wouldn't anyway, but I'm trying out everything I can to help my understanding of how NAT works. Admittedly, I'm afraid of sampling using the sampler sessions because I've never gotten them to work :(

Obviously I'm a total noob with NAT, but if I can get a little guidance I would be VERY grateful and be more than willing to share my creations with the community that's given me the best sounding tools in the box available!
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Re: Can this unit even be sampled?

Postby Cupwise » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 pm

this is just a huge mess of a project. i'd say the easiest thing would be to forget having any sampled controls in the final program, and just make 'presets' you think are useful, and sample those. do maybe a handful of configurations you think are cool. if you want to have one control that's adjustable, try that with a few different setups, and pick one control that you think is the most important to that setup, and then sample that control in it's various positions.

both of these (either doing it with no controls sampled, or with 1) can/should be done with the compressor sessions/templates in NAT. they always have the control you're sampling labelled as 'ratio', but you could rename it to whatever control you are actually doing in it's full range.

you have to start somewhere, but this is honestly kind of an advanced type of thing to be sampling. regular compressors alone are tricky.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 am

I have temporarily gave up on this one. You're 100% right about everything you just said haha.

I made several attempts at this one, and even came up with some I liked... yet they were absolutely NOT accurate! This was a total case of putting the carriage in front of the horse on my part, but I'm still learning. It only has a threshold and a ratio control, someday I'll give this one a retry once I feel that I understand sampling compressors. Not quite there yet, but someday...
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 am

botus99 wrote:I have temporarily gave up on this one. You're 100% right about everything you just said haha.

I made several attempts at this one, and even came up with some I liked... yet they were absolutely NOT accurate! This was a total case of putting the carriage in front of the horse on my part, but I'm still learning. It only has a threshold and a ratio control, someday I'll give this one a retry once I feel that I understand sampling compressors. Not quite there yet, but someday...

actually i had this WAY long post typed up, and deleted it all except the last paragraph which i altered a bit and added to some. i went into a lot more detail about the specific aspect of sampling controls from something so you can adjust them in the program later... in my opinion this is where sampling gets to be more like programming. you have to know a lot more to be able to do that. at least, for a unit like this you would. and you'd still be limited with how many controls you could get. you could do up to 3, but probably 2 would be the real upper limit here.

i can't tell how many controls the thing has though, from any videos or anything i found about it. looks like crossover points are fixed? and really only one band gets expanded? anyway, the controls being sampled is beside the difficulties of doing compression or related effects (expansion), which would also be there.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:09 am

oh ok, i somehow missed in your post where you said it only has a thresh and ratio control.. hmm. that changes my outlook on it a lot actually. with comps you don't actually sample thresh, just ratio, so this should be doable...

but still tricky ;)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 pm

I was wondering what was going on in that last paragraph. :lol:

The first paragraph though, that stuff is interesting! I've tried messing around with the GLOB and EVFS pages especially and I can absolutely hear differences when adjusting certain parameters. I'm not the fastest learner, but I'm not the slowest either. Just excited to be getting into this and learning something at all :D

Just hearing you say to make separate fixed programs confirmed my ever-growing suspicion. For that, I am grateful!
botus99
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nat