Login

Nat sampling levels

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nat sampling levels

Postby ericus » Fri May 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi guys,

Any experienced users (like NAT gurus) here that could give us some tips on how to set optimal levels for NAT sampling? I'm now sampling an Aguilar bass preamp (like the old Sadowsky one) and I want to make sure I'm doing it right since there is no led or vu on the preamp.

Once the sampling is done, can we adjust the volume inside Nebula for a preset if the overall volume is a couple of db lower? I mean that there's a slight volume drop when I choose that preset versus another one.

Also, it would be nice to know the differences between the different session templates like smooth 1 and smooth 2?

Thanks in advance!

Eric
ericus

Re: Nat sampling levels

Postby beingmf3 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Hey Eric! Answering your first question:
I had my best results setting the output to -18 to -12. What I don't know of course is how your reamping method is altering the DAC output aftwerwards!?
Besides that, just use the analyzer in NAT for level matching your i/o.

Second Q: if you want to balance dry/wet volume, go to the PROG > EDIT > Global page and either set input or output pad correctly. Don't forget to SAVE in the MEMO page! :)

3rd Q: about ALL those parameters and terminology, I'd like to know myself, too...
beingmf3

Postby ericus » Sat May 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi beingmf3,

Thank you for your tips. Just clarify a bit more, do you get the NAT Output between -18 to -12 and do the same for the input of NAT? Does it need to be matched?

Thanks in advance!

Eric
ericus

Postby beingmf3 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:19 pm

That's what I asked Giancarlo as well - and as far I understood (well, Bayern vs. Inter was on :) ) it doesn't need to be matched. In fact I never got it to match, whatever I tried.
All I do during the preparing stage is to match the 0dB readout in the analyzer, after I checked general levels via "Inputs" and "Outputs" windows...

EDIT: have NAT generate an offline test tone, load it into your DAW, match levels here and go back to NAT. much better this way!
beingmf3

Return to Working with Nat