Login

Help Sampling MiniMoog filters with smooth frequency sweeps

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Help Sampling MiniMoog filters with smooth frequency sweeps

Postby Gstell » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 am

Giancarlo, i own just about all filters in nebula and
a lot of them have a stepped frequency sweep.
Is there an improoved template in nebula platinum that would help me to sample the minimoog filters creating a program with smooth frequency sweeps when operating the knob in Nebula vst.
thank you
Gstell
User Level II
User Level II

Re: Help Sampling MiniMoog filters with smooth frequency sweeps

Postby Cupwise » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:45 am

giancarlo may correct me, or add something, but i'm pretty sure that the stepped behavior is because of the number of 'steps' being sampled.

it is a bit of a nightmare to sample something like this, depending on how good you actually want the results to be. other things aside, just the sampling of each position on that knob is madness- having to wait a minute before turning it just so much. add in another knob (res) and now we are talking fun!
and just think how anything you add basically multiplies everything- a dynamic step, a repeat for noise reduction. in the end even kernels you add will multiply all of those samples, so you have to think ahead a fair amount, about exactly what you want.

one other thing you will need to consider which i just found out, because i am working on some filters myself (first time), is that you may get a setup with your filter that sounds good running audio (synths, drums etc) through it, but when you sample it you are running a pure sine sweep through. when it hits that resonant peak and shoots up in level, you need to make sure that the peak isn't being clipped or compressed, because it will be much louder than it ever was with your audio you demo'd it with.

basically though, you want a smooth filter, it just means you will need to take many many samples to have a higher resolution. you can set up some way to see on a frequency analyzer, exactly where the filter peak is at, and use that to help gauge how much you need to turn that knob between each sample.

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Help Sampling MiniMoog filters with smooth frequency sweeps

Postby Gstell » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks Cupwise,
very helpful reply
Gstell
User Level II
User Level II

Return to Working with Nat