Login

Sampling a 15ips tube tape recorder, any pointers?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Sampling a 15ips tube tape recorder, any pointers?

Postby xfire » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Who can give me some tips on how to sample my modified (15ips) Revox G36 Tube Tape recorder in very high quality?

Thanks in advance :)
xfire
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Sampling a 15ips tube tape recorder, any pointers?

Postby Mirco » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:25 am

hi,

do you have the option to "read after write" ?
you will need that option to not have too many problems with wow & flutter and so on.
Mirco

Postby xfire » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi,
Yes it's a 3 head design, so i can monitor while recording (with some latency ofcourse).
xfire
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 pm

there's going to be trial and error involved, as with most things. you may have noticed how with the NAT sessions set, if you look at sessions for tapes i think they are all or mostly 'stone' sessions. you might want to try some 'smooth2' types too, look at the preamp sessions.

i've never seen a complete description of what stone does, but i'm pretty sure it boosts high frequencies to try to 'flatten' them, to compensate for high freq roll off of your deck for example. so, i'm just saying you should experiment with both the stone and smooth2 types. me personally i would use smooth2 if i could get a good sound from the machine with that, but someone more knowledgeable about sampling tapes may disagree. good luck!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Cupwise wrote:there's going to be trial and error involved, as with most things. you may have noticed how with the NAT sessions set, if you look at sessions for tapes i think they are all or mostly 'stone' sessions. you might want to try some 'smooth2' types too, look at the preamp sessions.

i've never seen a complete description of what stone does, but i'm pretty sure it boosts high frequencies to try to 'flatten' them, to compensate for high freq roll off of your deck for example. so, i'm just saying you should experiment with both the stone and smooth2 types. me personally i would use smooth2 if i could get a good sound from the machine with that, but someone more knowledgeable about sampling tapes may disagree. good luck!

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic :mrgreen:

I already explain SMOOTH in other newsletter but now I can remember which ones... :shock:
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nat