Login

Nebula 3 resource usage?

Nebula feature suggestions

Nebula 3 resource usage?

Postby Fess » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:45 am

Hi there, I would like to know how people use Nebula in terms of conserving CPU juice. I have read that it eats cpus for breakfast! :shock: How many instances would I be able to get of say an Otari tape emu? As in how many stereo tracks before the CPU chokes? Has anyone pushed their system to the limit? Do Core i7s fare well? Sorry for the questions. Just wondering. I've heard the R2R samples and they sound incredible but I know that sound doesn't come without crunching crazy numbers in the cpu...Anyone have any insight they'd like to share?

Thanks a lot.
Fess
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Nebula 3 resource usage?

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 am

I guess what you're looking for chart...like physical modeling DSP cards, but measure Nebula performance is quite difficult due there is a lot of possible combinations. x86/x64, PC/MAC, VST/AU, COREI/COREII, CPU/GPU, MAST page perameters, sequencer parameters, ASIO driver parameters, etc.

I have a kind of addon software for that task for 3rd developers and beta testers, but as usual is inside my mind, and I a slow man (long latency guy foreverything!)
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby highvoltage » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I loaded up 18 Otaris Reverb instance with 80% of cpu usage at 44khz on my Core2 Q6600. Tho i used to deactivate the harmonic kernels, if my signal is already rather saturated, or if i use a tape booster after it. Then you can load up shitloads of it.
Without Reverb version its just a few.
highvoltage

Postby Fesster » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Hopefully a Core i7 940 will work okay with Nebula.

Thanks for the info.
Fesster
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby elam » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:38 pm

It's not so much your CPU ,Nebula is a RAM eater.The more you have the better you will be.So yes a Core i7 940 is enough but put a lot of RAM on top of it, as much as you can afford...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby fuseburn » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Yeah, get as much RAM as you can. For me, 6 GB were absolutely not enough. Now I've got 16 GB and I'm regularly filling them up to the 9 GB-mark
i7 860 here - don't even think you'll be able to run alot of nebula in realtime ;-) rather 16 tapes @ 96k, maybe twice as much in 48k.
Start with building your freeze strategy, you'll never look back. It's totally worth it !
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby highvoltage » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:01 pm

on slightly off topic, i think the need of bouncing audio is actually a very creativity inducing thing. You are forced to believe in yourself and your choices are permanent, and lets you move along without tweaking something to a never end. Like in the old 4 track days, you had to know what youre doing :) not that i lived back then thihih
highvoltage

Postby TranscendingMusic » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:48 pm

highvoltage wrote:on slightly off topic, i think the need of bouncing audio is actually a very creativity inducing thing. You are forced to believe in yourself and your choices are permanent, and lets you move along without tweaking something to a never end. Like in the old 4 track days, you had to know what youre doing :) not that i lived back then thihih

Yeaaah, actual engineering with ballz! Commitment 8-)
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:14 pm

TranscendingMusic wrote:Yeaaah, actual engineering with ballz! Commitment 8-)

No doubt !!!!!!!!

"Start with building your freeze strategy"

Crucial.It's a commitment thing ! And if you really like what Nebula offers sonically you'll have to rethink your work-flow ...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Fesster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 am

Cool guys! I have no problem with bouncin to tape hahhh! I'll just treat it like I'm tracking to tape like back in 93:) I have 12 GB of ram so I should be okay. Man, I tried telling people how impressed I was with R2R tape emulations and some took serious offense. First I was patronized by an IDIOT (name withheld), then the moderator sent me a PM for telling this clown off. Then, I see a bunch of UAD users agreeing that the Nebula R2R sounds better than the UAD Studer. Hypocrites...Anyway, all I was trying to tell them is the truth. Read the forums and you'll see a lot of posts of UAD users clearly admitting they like the R2R Studer emulation more than the UAD Studer. I own a UAD 2 card but I still use a boatload of other tools and plugins to produce music. One listen to Nebula and I knew it was something I had to have-easy decision. Actually, one idiot said he thinks Nebula users are 'creepy'. You know what? I don't care-they're not my friends and don't deserve any respect-check it out for yourself: http://www.studionu.com/uadforums/viewt ... =2&t=14533. One mention of Nebula and your post gets deleted?! :lol:
A-hole number 1 is some clown who calls himself Trebor Flow 2, and the other clown is LFranco. I mean seriously...read my posts (Fess) and read their responses! http://www.studionu.com/uadforums/viewt ... 8&start=30
Nebula and those amazing emulations are gonna take my productions to another level...but don't tell UA that lol! Heaven forbid there is someone out there that does it better than they do! :lol: I actually thought about selling my UAD 2 card after that cyber spat...I still might and say **** UA. Even the moderator Sid Chigger is an a**wipe! Anyway, read the posts and have a laugh! Thanks again for the info. I can't wait till payday:)
Fesster
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Requests