Login

Quicker initialization

Nebula feature suggestions

Quicker initialization

Postby alexhayes » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:15 am

Hi,

For each instance of Nebula is initialized the all have to go through the same load process.

ie, checks if ROM memory is ok, SSE2 is supported etc..

Do these checks really need to be done for each instance upon initialization? I mean I can understand if the first instance of it needs to do some kind of initialization but why can't any instances from that point forth use the information ascertained in the first initialization?

I don't know anything about the VST spec but what I'm basically asking is shouldn't the initialization be using the Singleton pattern? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singleton_pattern
alexhayes
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Quicker initialization

Postby brp » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:11 pm

yess, quicker initialisation required here too!!

not only the cpu load of nebula, but also the loading time
must be improved!! it's almost the sound, that counts, thats why we all go with nebula. but workflow counts a bit as well!

i had another idea, how workflow could be improved: the program conversion. almost every programs are sampled @96khz and a lot of people (like me) work @ 44.1khz. now, every time you load a certain program it needs a few seconds to convert the program. this is something, which could be reduced to once! no? what about temporary converted-vectorfolder, or even bether a dialogue in nat: create(convertet) library @44.1 or whatever sr you want??

a further workflowimprovement would be a mode like this: you load a whole unit which is defined by the developper (eg. an eq made of 3-10 programs(low,mid,hi etc.)) now your ram and cpu usage is high, but you can adjust everything at once. after the adjustment, you press kind of freeze-button, and everything you didn't use of this unit would be unloaded from memory at this time.

what do you (especialy giancarlo) think of these ideas?

imo you should be able at adjustmenttime to switch fast between programs for comparison, otherwise nebula brings you an incredible sound, but you can't get the full benefit because you aren't able judge your adjustments right. you can only say that a certain program does improve the signal or not. but to find out which program would improve the signal the best, is very hard at the current situation. do i miss here something?

cheers pascal
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby brp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:24 am

i just found out, that tweaking the loader-priority parameter from the mast page from '1 lower' to '3 higher' will improve the blamed behavour.

cheers pascal
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby giancarlo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:38 pm

no, it should skip all those checks. I guess nebula doesn't have rights for overwriting xml files located in vstplugins folder. Contact me, we'll solve that
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 pm

about rate conversion, there should be an utility in nat, but it was never debugged cause my lacking of time. And again, most requested features of ever, freeze and (not mentioned here but winner among requests) keyboard numeric input are NOT possible in current architecture without introducing (problably) a couple of hundreds of bugs
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby brp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:16 pm

hi giancarlo,

do you know the juce framework? i think it would be perfect for developing advanced nebula gui's. it would act much smoother than now and implementing numeric input would be a thing of minuts.

what do you think about that?
brp
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby highvoltage » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 pm

giancarlo wrote:no, it should skip all those checks. I guess nebula doesn't have rights for overwriting xml files located in vstplugins folder. Contact me, we'll solve that

quite interestingly here Nebula.dll skips the initialisation, and Nebula Reverb.dll is loading slow. :?:

i have also made a nebula Comp.dll and it loads fast too.
highvoltage

Return to Requests