Login

Re-use of ram for already loaded samples

Nebula feature suggestions

Re-use of ram for already loaded samples

Postby alexhayes » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:00 am

Hi,

I often use the same eq on different channels, for instance I may use AITB Massive High Shelf + on multiple channels and for each instance of Nebula it loads the samples into ram.

Why can't it just load the samples into ram once and this ram be utilized across instances?

This would save on heaps of ram and its something that other companies software, such as Native Instruments and Cakewalk's (read Rene's) Dimension Pro do.

Thanks
Alex
Last edited by alexhayes on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexhayes
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Re-use of ram for already loaded samples

Postby Mercado_Negro » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:13 am

Now this is something REALLY interesting, useful and good to save time and resources. I'd really love to see an answer from Giancarlo about this; in my opinion, it would be one of the greatest features in Nebula. I'd trade this for 10 crosstalk features or server versions.

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Renan L.B » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:57 am

+1000! This would be absolutely amazing, save lots of resources and possibly allow one to run even more instances of Nebula not necessarily needing a 12GB of Ram machine (although it is becoming the standard today anyway). Also wouldn't loading times be faster for programs already loaded in RAM? Giancarlo, is there a way to implement this?
Renan L.B
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Renan L.B » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:34 pm

*BUMP*

This question regards to a feature far more efficient (theoretically) and important than the incoming Micro Kernels and (theoretically) wouldn't have any audible compromisses as the Micro Kernels. Could someome from the team please answer if alexhayes idea is possible to implement on Nebula or are there current limitations?
Renan L.B
User Level II
User Level II

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:18 pm

yes, it will be implemented in server and localserver version, but not immediatly
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Renan L.B » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:28 pm

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! :D This will definitely make Nebula step up in the right direction! Thanks Giancarlo and team!
Renan L.B
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Grim » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Are we any nearer to an official release for server?

I'm currently jbridging which is sort of working but it doesn't seem that solid...sometimes a Neb instance is just not appearing when selected though fortunately if it's the jbridge version the non jbridged will usually open & vice versa.

But would be fantastic to have a stable purpose built system for bridging Neb.

Cheers
Grim
Grim

Postby tumburu » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:36 am

This feature should have been on the top of the list. If implemented in Nebula it could almost make the Server unnecessary.
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 pm

tumburu wrote:This feature should have been on the top of the list. If implemented in Nebula it could almost make the Server unnecessary.

Not knowing all of the ins and outs of how the code works, I would guess that your supposition is incorrect. Even if it saved the memory space, you cannot just double up the processing. While some people with low RAM counts might be helped by this, the majority of us aren't running into a RAM barrier nearly as often as the CPU barrier even in a 32 bit OS environment.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:16 pm

ok guys, I'll be clear
This feature is NOT possible, and it's NOT in line with future implementations and requirements. While ram prices are dropping and onboard ram amount is rising, we need to improve the number of functionalities, not decrease or adding obstacles.

[edit] we can save resources among different instances, in localserver and server edition. Anyway it's NOT a prioritary development.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Requests