Login

Compressor behaviour engine update

Nebula feature suggestions

Re: Compressor behaviour engine update

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 pm

musicgreator wrote:Could the compression behavior somehow be achieved by combining nebula with a conventional compressor plugin like waves Rencomp, CLA-76 etc.? How would i do that?...

Yes. In fact, there are "compressor" programs that don't compress at all; those match up very nicely with very clean algo-type compressors. Likewise you can always hit the compressor input on a program that does compress above the threshold so that you process that stage without GR. What you don't get with that kind of setup is authenticity (from a particular unit) but if you get used to it and know what you're doing it offers yet another option in a wide range of current compression offerings.

What you want to do is control your GR with the "other" compressor (hence why you want to use something pretty clean) and just use the Nebula program as coloration for that process.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Martinez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:57 am

ngarjuna wrote:
musicgreator wrote:Could the compression behavior somehow be achieved by combining nebula with a conventional compressor plugin like waves Rencomp, CLA-76 etc.? How would i do that?...

Yes. In fact, there are "compressor" programs that don't compress at all; those match up very nicely with very clean algo-type compressors. Likewise you can always hit the compressor input on a program that does compress above the threshold so that you process that stage without GR. What you don't get with that kind of setup is authenticity (from a particular unit) but if you get used to it and know what you're doing it offers yet another option in a wide range of current compression offerings.

What you want to do is control your GR with the "other" compressor (hence why you want to use something pretty clean) and just use the Nebula program as coloration for that process.

No offence man, but I don't think that is a very good compromise.

I think that idea that a seperate Nebula compressor plug in is a much better idea.

plug in compressors can have some very nasty atifacts.

There was a very good articel about it in Stav's word in the latest copy of AT magizine.
Martinez

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:15 am

martinez wrote:No offence man, but I don't think that is a very good compromise.

I think that idea that a seperate Nebula compressor plug in is a much better idea.

plug in compressors can have some very nasty atifacts.

There was a very good articel about it in Stav's word in the latest copy of AT magizine.

No offense taken but you're incorrect: third party developers have released compressor programs and even libraries specifically to take advantage of this strategy (check out the RASS pack compressors, for example). Any plugin compressor which has "very nasty artifacts" isn't worth using whether with or without a Nebula instance for coloration; but if you are suggesting that there aren't usable VST compressors due to artifacts that's simply not the case.

Obviously it would be great if Nebula could handle all of the compression needs one has (and someday it likely will); but you know what they say: wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first. I've got audio to be worked on and it's not going to wait for some futuristic release from Acustica.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

seems like it probably would take some kind of really complex hybrid engine, with separate processing for quick changes that happen faster than the prog rate. whatever possible solution there might be, would probably be a pretty big overhaul to nebula, if it's even possible.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Requests