Login

Compressor behaviour engine update

Nebula feature suggestions

Re: Compressor behaviour engine update

Postby lipa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:00 am

sure.. don`t want to put to much pressure on anyone.. as I said- I love Nebula and what it offers overall.. so even if nothing improoves I can see myself using it even in 2062 :)

what I meant about the gui was something like aqua N-TEN-84 (I can never type this properly..) but with option (on/off switches) to have many bands in the same window. So it could look like regular eq. If You press ON for Midrange band it could load the instance under the hood. I`m just tired of fliping through 4 windows just to set one eq (4 bands).. ok I know 3rd party devs could make it happen too.. I guess that for N-Teen-18-4 it could be made pretty easily..
lipa

Postby futur2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 am

lipa wrote:sure.. don`t want to put to much pressure on anyone.. as I said- I love Nebula and what it offers overall.. so even if nothing improoves I can see myself using it even in 2062 :)

what I meant about the gui was something like aqua N-TEN-84 (I can never type this properly..) but with option (on/off switches) to have many bands in the same window. So it could look like regular eq. If You press ON for Midrange band it could load the instance under the hood. I`m just tired of fliping through 4 windows just to set one eq (4 bands).. ok I know 3rd party devs could make it happen too.. I guess that for N-*-18-4 it could be made pretty easily..

an interface that loads 3 or 4 nebulas at the same time with one click would be great indeed!
futur2

Postby ngarjuna » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 am

lipa wrote:sure.. don`t want to put to much pressure on anyone.. as I said- I love Nebula and what it offers overall.. so even if nothing improoves I can see myself using it even in 2062 :)

what I meant about the gui was something like aqua N-TEN-84 (I can never type this properly..) but with option (on/off switches) to have many bands in the same window. So it could look like regular eq. If You press ON for Midrange band it could load the instance under the hood. I`m just tired of fliping through 4 windows just to set one eq (4 bands).. ok I know 3rd party devs could make it happen too.. I guess that for N-*-18-4 it could be made pretty easily..

Interesting. I don't own the N-Ten-84 so I wasn't aware they had implemented it that way. It's a good idea, though, I agree.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 am

I do own the CDSM N-10, and it doesn't work as described here. You still need to load separate instances for each band. It just has a cool GUI instaed of the basic Nebula skin.
Attachments
N-10.png
N-10.png (229.26 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby musicgreator » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 am

I hope, all Aqua effects will be customizable for the use with servers and other tweaks. I want to be able to tweak a aqua effect the same way i can do with nebula and ideally make different copies with different tweaks.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby lipa » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:39 am

I only WISHED it (N-ten-84) was implemented this way..(multi bands with on/off switch). I`d buy it in a heartbeat then.. now I`ve got only demo and love it anyway.. but now it`s one band per window as in the picture..looks and feels great anyway.

It could really speed up the mixing.. I often have something like 15 instances of nebula on master..(You know 4 or more eqs, console ins/outs, tape, tapebooster.. and so on).. never can tell which is which just from looking on the tracks inserts names..(it just says nebula coreii from top to bottom) I have to make 20 mouse clicks opening each nebula instance just to find the eq band I need to tweak at the moment.. it`s just annoying sometimes..

(but, again, I love nebula sound anyway, so nobody has to convince me to use/like it..) :mrgreen:
lipa

Postby lipa » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 am

I think that next step for Aqua development can be some way to load many instances of nebula engine under the hood - controlled from one window AND also to be able to change a program just by clicking one button (say if You click Bell it could change the program from shelf eq to bell eq without navigating through menus and setting up all knobs from the beginning (amount of boost and freq). It could work great for compressor libraries to change ratio without resetting all other parameters..

It`s logical.. it would be nice if more library developers pushed the boundaries of aqua technology (not only The Great Michael Angel!).. to make them work like a NORMAL eq or comps are working. ;)
lipa

Postby clasam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I know the developers are very busy and are very successful at what they have been doing...this is just a thought, hopefully a possibility.

What if, in the more distant future (or with more GPU support, the near future), a single instance of a compressor loaded multiple engines in a parallel manner with different behaviors?

The compressor could have separate instances - slower, medium and faster Prog rate (of course, it would have to be programmed in by the library creator) and then, as part of the look ahead, there could be a a sort of "predictor" that determines which prog rate would be optimal.

And/or there could be multiple RAWFUNS engines that process audio at different gain reduction rates, to minimize the "odd" behavior of RAWFUNS at the extremes of the gain reduction rates.

In any case,

Keep up the great work, guys.
clasam
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby musicgreator » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Could the compression behavior somehow be achieved by combining nebula with a conventional compressor plugin like waves Rencomp, CLA-76 etc.? How would i do that? Could i compress the first bit with the plugin and the rest of the signal with nebula??
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby lipa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 pm

You can always try... but from my experience it`s best to use either nebula comp or algo comp plus nebula only to color the track (no or veeeery little compression)..
You cant get first miliseconds compressed by a algo comp and then suddenly not compressed because You want to do it by nebula from the second milisecond.. it`s impossible..
maybe if You did it on parallel tracks and then make some kind of dynamic switch/crossfade.. maaayybee then.. but I guess the results would not be very musical to say the least.. :ugeek: I was thinking about that too... ehh... ;)
lipa

PreviousNext

Return to Requests