Login

Latency Bypass for live

Nebula feature suggestions

Latency Bypass for live

Postby rossiko » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Simply turning off the plug in live will not reduce latency. This makes it really difficult when using nebula plugs as you really have to commit. Would be very helpful to have a way around this so we can just turn it off without having to delete the plug like in most other daws.
rossiko
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Latency Bypass for live

Postby zaminx » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Can you turn of the power of the plugin in live
In Cubase I turn of the power or use the constrain latency compensation switch which turns of all plugins at a set threshold of latency.
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby rossiko » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:36 pm

You can turn the power off but it doesn't effect latency.
This is a big PITA if im honest. The reason for this is because it makes an audiable click which is not deirable in a live performance. This really does stop me using nebula as much as i would like.
rossiko
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby SWAN » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm

if you freeze does that take away the latency?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby rossiko » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:53 am

It only effects the channel you are using, Im talking about playing a midi part when there are one or more instances of nebula in the track. There is no latency on channels not using nebula. Live uses delay compensation, so when playing back although everything looks out of sync on the vu meters it sounds fine on play back. So no point freezing.
A few ways to get round it is to dublicate the track so one track has nebula & the other doesn't. Or simply to drag the nebula plugs out into another track while recording the midi part.
rossiko
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby SWAN » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:34 pm

rossiko wrote:It only effects the channel you are using, Im talking about playing a midi part when there are one or more instances of nebula in the track. There is no latency on channels not using nebula. Live uses delay compensation, so when playing back although everything looks out of sync on the vu meters it sounds fine on play back. So no point freezing.
A few ways to get round it is to dublicate the track so one track has nebula & the other doesn't. Or simply to drag the nebula plugs out into another track while recording the midi part.

yes or you could save the group and re-instanciate...but Im not sure if all the parameters get saved?
Bit of a hassle - so on other DAWs when you bypass - the latency goes?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby rossiko » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:43 pm

SWAN wrote:
rossiko wrote:It only effects the channel you are using, Im talking about playing a midi part when there are one or more instances of nebula in the track. There is no latency on channels not using nebula. Live uses delay compensation, so when playing back although everything looks out of sync on the vu meters it sounds fine on play back. So no point freezing.

yes or you could save the group and re-instanciate...but Im not sure if all the parameters get saved?
Bit of a hassle - so on other DAWs when you bypass - the latency goes?

Not sure if anyone can confirm but if you turn the plugin off
the latency will go in other DAWs.
rossiko
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby bmhal » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Hope its o.k. to revive this thread - but this is my first post and delay comp in Ableton is a concern for me too. This thread has not answered the question posed by the original poster as far as I can make out.

I'm only just testing out Nebula 3 Free on OSX - as a VST in Ableton at the moment. When the AU finally comes out I'll grab it.

I found out about nebula after hearing about VNXT's amazing plate patch. I'm currently testing out the free 2sec patch for brilliant drum send reverb.

My question is about latency for the reverb instance and whether it is possible via Nebula or some other utility plugin to hide the latency of the plugin from Live so that it can be used as an AUX for Plate reverb etc without delaying the midi timing and audio track latency ON EVERY TRACK regardless of whether the send is going there or not.

Latency isn't really an issue with reverbs if you think about it in terms of a pre-delay that is regularly and historically put on reverbs/echos anyway. But at the moment if Nebula is anywhere on any track in ableton live 8 plugin delay compensation kicks in and the timing of everything is altered in every track. It stays the same when you bypass Nebula inside the GUI or you turn off the plugin with that little circle in top left. It only goes away when you delete Nebula permanently. I eventually hope to use Nebula is a live situation for my electronic drums and the natural delay wouldn't bother me if I could still hit the dry notes on time.

Does anybody know if there are any plugin delay comp utilities to hide plugs like this? as plugin compensation is automatic and can't be turned off in live and it make it really hard to use Nebula as the fantastic Talking Heads style plate reverb that it is if you can't trigger your drums without a 1sec delay.
bmhal
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby highvoltage » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm

i can confirm , that in reaper and cubase/nuendo
latency goes if you turn off the plugin.
Not if you bypass tho.

This is a real shame for Live
highvoltage

Postby bmhal » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:21 pm

@highvoltage

Cheers mate I guess my suspicions are confirmed.

I have a feeling the creators of Ableton Live have made the latency compensation keep working like that so that you can turn the plug on/off without glitching and delaying everything out which is what happens when you drop it on whilst its going.

I'm trying to see if a setting with Voxengo's latency Delay can make the compensation less with some negative latency and make Ableton think that the channel doesn't need to be delayed at least by as much. But I don't really understand that plug yet. The annoying thing is that Plugin Compensation is great but its not so necessary on a reverb or delay buss. For parallel compression it certainly is important. But I was just looking for some live plate reverb to perform with but it looks like I'm going to have to just use EOS like I have in the past.

Only last week I was blasting some mates about Pro Tools and its lack of plug in delay comp for the real-world budget versions. Today I'm wishing I could turn some of it off

such is life. But if anybody knows how to set up Voxengo Latency Delay or some other negative value sample utility or latency hiding utility exists then shoot it my way
bmhal
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Requests