Login

Automatic Gain Compensation

Nebula feature suggestions

Automatic Gain Compensation

Postby wagz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:38 pm

I have another request. Please, add automatic gain compensation to Nebula. That would save me so much time. Thanks.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Re: Automatic Gain Compensation

Postby RE301 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:04 pm

User Mannymac posted this in another thread:

Mannymac wrote:@basarstudios

If you want to make sure you hit Acqua plugins at a good level I recommend this tool

http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-vu-meter/

If you switch auto gain on the audio will automatically be set to -18 dbfs RMS which is a perfect level for dynamic distortion. Then you can dial the input knobs on your acqua plugin to set the harmonic distortion as you like ;)

Don't use this with Drums!! Drums have such fast peaks that an RMS meter can't catch them and you will overload your tracks with this. But it is amazing for bass, vocals, guiatrs, synths etc!
RE301

Postby wagz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately, I literally bought the Klanghelm VUMT plugin maybe an hour or so ago. I have been using the Sleepytime VU meter.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby wagz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:18 pm

RE301 wrote:User Mannymac posted this in another thread:

Mannymac wrote:@basarstudios

If you want to make sure you hit Acqua plugins at a good level I recommend this tool

http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-vu-meter/

If you switch auto gain on the audio will automatically be set to -18 dbfs RMS which is a perfect level for dynamic distortion. Then you can dial the input knobs on your acqua plugin to set the harmonic distortion as you like ;)

Hornet is having a flash sale. I just bought the VU meter for $2.67 USD.

I'll try your workaround. I usually try to maintain the peak or RMS levels when toggling plugins on/off. So, I would still like Nebula (and every plugin that I own) to have a fully functional AGC feature. It seems like it would be possible, considering that it is on some other popular plugins. I bought MJUC a while ago. It has AGC. (I'm just saying....)
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby basaristudios@gmail.com » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Hornet Meter actually sucks for this. It will only compensate
when you lower the input to it...if you wanna keep switching
the Bypass on and off to compare Hornet will not compensate the
level going back up to where it was before. It will just lower
it and stay there.
Prime Total, Nebula Server 3, Scarlett 3, Amethyst 2, Aquamarine 3, Titanium, Magenta 3, Navy, Sand, Pink, Pink Compressors.
basaristudios@gmail.com
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby wagz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:33 pm

basaristudios@gmail.com wrote:Hornet Meter actually sucks for this. It will only compensate
it and stay there.

Thanks for your info. Well, I already bought the thing.

I find AGC to be a very nice tool to make sure that one isn't swayed one way other other (due to vol. differences) when mixing or processing files. Everything should have AGC, in my opinion.
wagz
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby jfjer379@gmail.com » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:58 pm

basaristudios@gmail.com wrote:Hornet Meter actually sucks for this. It will only compensate
it and stay there.

I like the hornet , but it could be better for the reason's you just mentioned , this can be easely fixed with a update i think so i im gonna send an email
i have both VUMT and HORNET :)
i7 5820k • RME • Reaper64 • Win7 64 Pro • Amethyst • Coral • Emerald • Honey • Ivory • LIME • Navy • Pearl • Pink • Pink Comp Bundle • Sand • White2 • Nebula3 Server
jfjer379@gmail.com
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:25 pm

wagz wrote:I have another request. Please, add automatic gain compensation to Nebula. That would save me so much time. Thanks.

Perception of loudness is unique to each person, for that reason was developed ITU 1770. So we can add a auto gain feature that will work only for the developer/tester but not for any one and that is the reason a lot for people complain about ITU 1770 normallization.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Mannymac » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:11 pm

About the Hornet Plugin:

The way best way to use this is to insert it before Nebula/Acqua plugin/s and then let your song run through once in total. (Important!)

Reason for this is:

The plugin can obviously only react to what it has "heard"/processed before.

That means if you only use the Automatic Gain compensation for the quieter parts e.g. a Verse and all of a souden you have louder peaks during a chorus but didn't let the VU Meter process it you will overload Nebula/Acqua.
So sit back, grab a tea and let the section/song run through the plugin one time in total and then your levels should be fine ;)

I agree with basari: Bypassing it will sort of resete the "AGC", which is not good. If you use it the way I outlined above it should give you a good starting point for beginners.
More advanced users can obviously just use and calibrated VU Meter and hit the 0 VU point manually or use the newer broadcasting standards.
Mannymac
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Mannymac » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:46 pm

If you want to dive deeper ito this (to me very interesting) topic of loudness and gain staging I can also recommend this brilliant article by SoundOnSound magazine

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb14/a ... ss-war.htm

You need to buy the PDF for full access if you are not a subscriber which will only cost you 1,5€ or so.
It really is worth it.

For a budget friendly LUFS meter with great functionality check out
https://www.klangfreund.com/lufsmeter/

Brilliant measurement plugin with great extra functions.
Mannymac
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to Requests