Login

Something like Abbey Road Automatic Double Tracking

Nebula feature suggestions

Something like Abbey Road Automatic Double Tracking

Postby russianpolecat » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey, I was just wondering if it was possible to do something like this with Nebula - maybe there is a way to do it with existing libraries already I don't know. Cool if we could sample original hardware for this but I don't hold out much hope :D
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Something like Abbey Road Automatic Double Tracking

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Hmm, I don't think that you can do this. It would involve pitch-shifting which is not possible in Nebula at this stage.

As far as I am aware (and I haven't done any extensive research on this, so please take it with a pinch of salt), they were using two tape machines and because of the motor speed fluctuations, tape transport design, dodgy mechanics and other reasons, you would get wow, flutter, scrape, drift (various quite complex and not necessary cyclic pitch/time fluctuations, which would not only change the time/pitch, but also create side-band frequencies).

Perhaps you could try to split (send) your signal into two buses, insert two Nebula tape instances on each one (you could even use two different tape models or same model at 15 and 30ips to generate different distortions) and than use another manually very gently automated pitch-shift plug-in (or maybe even better - a few inserted in series simulating in a very rudimentary way the different types of fluctuations above) on each track. Note that these pitch-shifters will have to emulate tape speed variations - so time and speed should be linked, and not shift the pitch without affecting time.

In this way you will probably also get some flanging/chorus/phasing effects too (depending on the time/pitch variations applied they will vary) and if you want a sound that is closer to an echo, maybe try delaying the second bus by more than 30ms (you can automate this parameter, just for fun, too!), but somewhere above 30ms should already sound like echo.

It may sound rubbish :) or it may sound really cool but in any case - it will sound VERY different from a real ADT.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
http://georgievsound.com/
Sheikyearbouti

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Ah, just check some info and it turn out they were feeding the second machine from the sync head of the first one. So you could have a Nebula insert on track 1 and than post-insert send this to a bus where you've got a second Nebula insert. Now this can become your echo.
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

Postby richie43 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:47 pm

My suggestion is not at all the same as yours, but for convenience, I use any algo plugin (or combination of some) and use a variety of Nebula "preamp" or "mojo" presets to give me the vibe....It gets pretty darn close and is not a nightmare to set up. I know that the request pertains more to keeping it all Nebula, but for those who love the idea but need to keep the work-flow moving, I thought I'd remind you all of how useful the many many "mojo" type options we have with Nebula.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Oh, yes, of course. I just "saw" a DIY way in my head and described it...

Or you could simply buy the AR ADT plug-in.. For example, as much as I dislike the Waves EQs, I would recomend the H-delay, as it sounds good and you can add modulation in it. I've used it in many mixes of mine... The FabFilter one is also really cool and very flexible (don't have it but saw a guy using it and was really impressed). Than of course you can use Nebula as additional preamp if you wish - there are tons of ways to do it :)
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

Postby russianpolecat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:24 am

Thanks guys, yeah I was just wondering really if it was possible or no. I had thought something similar about using two different instances of tape libraries etc. plus the mojo idea is a good one! (as much as I loathe Waves and their 'plastic' plugin's!) ;). Having said that, I do quite like the Waves PYE compressor - my God what I would give for a Nebula version!!

*foams at mouth* :)
Last edited by russianpolecat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russianpolecat
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Sheikyearbouti » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:12 am

Me too :)
--
Nikolay Georgiev
Sheikyearbouti

Postby dacaveprods » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:04 am

russianpolecat wrote:Thanks guys, yeah I was just wondering really if it was possible or no. I had thought something similar about using two different instances of tape libraries etc. plus the mojo idea is a good one! (as much as a loathe Waves and their 'plastic' plugin's!) ;). Having said that, I do quite like the Waves PYE compressor - my God what I would give for a Nebula version!!

Would b "Beast"... ;)
dacaveprods

Postby drezz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:27 pm

I think the problem with creating ADT in the box is that the signal was coming from the sync head of the tape, then being recorded onto the 'adt' tape machine, then put back into the desk ALONGSIDE another copy of the original signal coming from the repro head (or output) of the multi-track tape. (If using Studers, as they did at AR, you can use the sync output of a channel to feed ADT machine, and use the repro output of the same channel to go directly to the desk) Therefore it is possible to wiggle (with LFO or with manual varispeed) the ADT tape machine so it either delays, or goes BEFORE the original sync signal..........Follow me? This is the way described in Recording the Beatles, as was originally used by Ken Townsend and the engineers at Abbet Rd. It is also the technique i have used to great effect in my studio with 3 Studer A80s (yes, real ones)..........
So to achieve this in Nebula or a plug, one would have to work out a way to have the varispeed of the ADT PRECEDE the original signal. I know, i know, its a head**** just thinking about it, we had many hours of weirness just getting our heads around it when we first did it at our place.........
Oh and BTW, if you reverse the phase on one or other of the channels (the original or the ADT) you will get tape phasing, a'la itchycoo park or axis bold as love and i have to report that i have yet to hear any plug that can do it the same as the real deal, and believe me i have tried many, many times. The waves plug just isn't the same, sorry, but no cigar.
drezz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby kindafishy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:57 am

russianpolecat wrote:Thanks guys, yeah I was just wondering really if it was possible or no. I had thought something similar about using two different instances of tape libraries etc. plus the mojo idea is a good one! (as much as I loathe Waves and their 'plastic' plugin's!) ;). Having said that, I do quite like the Waves PYE compressor - my God what I would give for a Nebula version!!

Quick, someone get Tim P in here!!!! He's the man for Nebula compression.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to Requests