Login

Nebula 4 in the horizon ?

Nebula feature suggestions

Re: Nebula 4 in the horizon ?

Postby kindafishy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Support wrote:
Several non-nebula developers have released good stand-alone VU meters, it can't be that hard. Now i use a metering plug in front of every instance of Nebula, which means a 3-band EQ = 6 insert slots (and Cubase has only 6 pre-fader inserts).

Use just two meters and move it up and down.

Modern Black Console
Master Buss (Vintage)

rather than

MBC_MBV
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu

Use dictionary.

things would be so much easier.
Also allow the user to change program names and categories, with as many characters as needed.

Not possible.

Make a nice preset browser with a search function, kinda like windows explorer. And instead of seeing a category "SLK(SLK)" I'd like to see "Silk EQ".

Use dictionary.

I have a very, very hard time believing that you have developers capable of creating the technology behind Nebula who are not capable of programming 'user defined text', 'readable labels' or 'functional meters' in the software.

Seriously? Use dictionary?

Why are suggestions such as the ones being made here not taken seriously? Why don't you embrace the need to create a great user experience instead of brushing it off?

Getting the underlying technology right should be the number 1 priority. No argument there. However, the number 2 priority should be getting the user experience right. Personally, I think that any company should not be happy to ship a product until both of those things are complete and correct, not just one of them.
kindafishy
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby bma25 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Well the good thing is that quite some issues will be addressed in Nebula 4.

But:

Support wrote:About levels: Use trim in your sequencer or pre-process your audio files before mix with a level rule (EBU r-128 for example). Nebula Man has this feature also peak leveling for drum/percussion tracks.

Nebula currently has meters. These meters clearly don't show the correct levels, at least not all the time (seems to be program-dependent). Don't you think that this is a problem that needs to be addressed?
It looks like the meters are handled by the core engine itself. If the signal flow would be: input trim > input meter > core engine > output trim > output meter, then this problem would not exist.

BTW my audio tracks do come in at -18dB RMS, thanks to my Klanghelm VUMT meters (except for some drum-tracks which may have a crest factor greater than 18dB).

Support wrote:Use just two meters and move it up and down.

Doesn't solve anything since I want my trim/gain to be in front of the meter, not after, and even if, I would still need an empty insert slot.
But it proves my point that the meters in nebula are pretty much useless.

Support wrote:Use dictionary.

Thanks, I didn't knew about that.

Since I got some basic knowledge about coding, modifying an xml-file is no big deal for me, but do you really expect the average user to do this? With absolutely no explanation in the manual?

Also once a program is loaded the LCD displays the program name (e.g. MBC MBV), and there is no way to change this, right?

The dictionary doesn't give me a preset browser with search function either.

Overall I think you could really come up with a UI that feels like we are in 2014, not 1990.

Support wrote:Not possible.

Come on that's no answer. Categories can already be changed on the memo page in the plugin-window, its just the slowest and most inconvenient way to do so. As for changing program names; it can already be done in NAT, you could either build this functionality right into Nebula, or you could use an xml to assign a display name to each program and set the nebula code to show that display name rather than the program name. All bread and butter stuff.
Although the easiest way would be to use a folder structure similar to the one for managing vst2.x plugins. That way changing a program name would be as simple as renaming the N2P-file, and to change your folder structure you cold simply move it in another folder.

It just really looks like acoustica made a deliberate choice to keep non-geeks out of the platform by making things a lot more complicated than they need to.

Cheers
bma25
User Level I
User Level I

Postby bma25 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:25 am

OK, I just finished renaming all the (sub-)categories of my whole collection to show the real names of the hardware: Took a whooping 6 hours (I have the "All you can eat"-bundle from Henry Olonga). Since there are several libraries who share the same CAT3 identifier i had to modify those to make this possible.

It certainly looks a lot cleaner now, but that's definitely not something you can expect an average user to do.

The program names are still the same geek-gibberish as before though :x
Attachments
nebula.png
bma25
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Support » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am

I have a very, very hard time believing that you have developers capable of creating the technology behind Nebula who are not capable of programming 'user defined text', 'readable labels' or 'functional meters' in the software. Seriously? Use dictionary?

Better meters will be available in Nebula4.

The Nebula tip of the month (#19 - June 2011)
Editing Dictionaries .XML file
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1447

Why are suggestions such as the ones being made here not taken seriously? Why don't you embrace the need to create a great user experience instead of brushing it off?

We were discussing about how to implement a better browser without lose backwards compatibility. We have the main idea, but probably will be available only for Nebula4.

Getting the underlying technology right should be the number 1 priority. No argument there. However, the number 2 priority should be getting the user experience right. Personally, I think that any company should not be happy to ship a product until both of those things are complete and correct, not just one of them.

We agree but user experience right means for us stability and customer support, not GUI. I hope you understand us, GUI is important but our engine has limitation.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support
http://www.acustica-audio.com
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby Support » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 am

Since I got some basic knowledge about coding, modifying an xml-file is no big deal for me, but do you really expect the average user to do this? With absolutely no explanation in the manual?

The Nebula tip of the month (#19 - June 2011)
Editing Dictionaries .XML file
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1447

Also once a program is loaded the LCD displays the program name (e.g. MBC MBV), and there is no way to change this, right?

You can do it manually in NAT.

The dictionary doesn't give me a preset browser with search function either.

RE: Could be a Nebula4 feature. Not is not confirmed.

Overall I think you could really come up with a UI that feels like we are in 2014, not 1990.

RE: Nebula4 will feature stackable emulation presets with different UIs. Will be generic ones and custom ones. Also Acqua Effect will be able to load into Nebula4. Basic and extended meter will be available and the size of the main UI will be 1/3 size from current Nebula3 Pro/Server size.

Come on that's no answer. Categories can already be changed on the memo page in the plugin-window, its just the slowest and most inconvenient way to do so. As for changing program names; it can already be done in NAT, you could either build this functionality right into Nebula, or you could use an xml to assign a display name to each program and set the nebula code to show that display name rather than the program name. All bread and butter stuff.
Although the easiest way would be to use a folder structure similar to the one for managing vst2.x plugins. That way changing a program name would be as simple as renaming the N2P-file, and to change your folder structure you cold simply move it in another folder.

RE: No possible Engine limitation and anti-copy system limitation.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Support
Expert
Expert

Postby bma25 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:12 pm

Better metering, smaller GUI...

That already sounds much better. In your first reply i understood that you think improved meters aren't necessary. Guess i misread that.

Support wrote: We agree but user experience right means for us stability and customer support, not GUI.

Stability is priority number one, I totally agree.
When it comes to customer support, I feel that the biggest improvement would be a more in depth manual. It currently is very superficial, and the tips of the month are even far worse. I understand that the language barrier is a problem (english isn't my first language either btw), but quite often its almost impossible to understand. But I think with a community like this one, you should be able to get some help. If I can help in that aspect, let me know, I'll gladly do so.

As for changing program names in NAT, it is extremely slow, I'm sure you could come up with a better solution.
I still fail to see how this is impossible due to engine/copy protection. Changing the names by itself can't be the problem, since this is already possible. But where there's no will there's no way.

Edit:
Just discovered this:
It IS already possible in Nebula! Load the program, click edit, enter a new name, click exit, click save.

Still pretty slow but already much better!
bma25
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Antman81 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:10 am

I just bought Nebula 3 pro will this mean that I will have to pay out again if 4 is released in NOV? Even an update cost would be an annoyance. :?
Antman81
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Melon_Jack » Tue May 06, 2014 6:13 am

If you buy now Cubase and it'll be updated in Nov - you should pay for upgrade =) Unless they won't give 4-5 months grace period.
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby bma25 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:22 am

You don't have to pay again if you don't want. You can keep using Nebula3, nobody forces you to upgrade.
bma25
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Support » Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 am

Antman81 wrote:I just bought Nebula 3 pro will this mean that I will have to pay out again if 4 is released in NOV? Even an update cost would be an annoyance. :?

Nebula3 Pro is not developed anymore. We only work in Nebula4 and same feature are implemented in Nebula3 Server. We still support and update all version released and as usual in AA you will pay the difference from your product to the new one.
Best regards,
Enrique Silveti.
Support
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Requests