Login

thinking about OVERS

Nebula feature suggestions

thinking about OVERS

Postby hopi2013 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 am

I wonder what others think about this idea and if it might be possible in Neb4:

OK, so we have in most skins some manner of OVER warning... and that can be very brief.. you might miss it...
Now I use reaper and it's meters have a 'persistent' over warning.. so that IF there is an over, the red warning stays lit until you do something to clear it.

I wonder if it might be possible to have a persistent OVER warning in Nebula? Not to replace the OVER we already have, but in addition to it.

Your thoughts?
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: thinking about OVERS

Postby RJHollins » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:11 am

hmm ... honestly, I thought that the 'OVER' indicator did stay lit until the main fader was changed.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:46 pm

hi RJ... yes it does, but here is what I'm saying:

during the time of a given track, there can be 'peaks'.. that will produce a momentary OVER.

Oh, this might be from [say] a horn section stab or the like.
So imagine you have 90% of the track working perfectly but here and there are very brief OVERS.
Now on the reaper meters you will see a persistent red over indicator, which stays lit until you clear it...right?
But in the Neb GUI you will only see the OVER for those very brief moments.
This becomes more complex with a chain of Nebs.. in that some may show OVERS while others don't.

So what I'm suggesting is a persistent OVER in the Neb GUI so a user could spot the culprit more easily.

As it is now you might have to play the whole track again and again while watching carefully for the problem.

Does that make better sense?
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi hopi,

Maybe it has something to do with the particular 'SKIN' design ... but I understand what you're saying.

I have developed my own solution to keep my entire Nebula chain at unity gain using my NVC controllers.
Since any changes [say an EQ band] in Nebula can affect the output level, it is a constant balancing act that always needs attention. With my 'calibration' module in the NVC I balance the entire chain within seconds. After doing that, I'm often surprised that the track sounds even better 8-)
The other benefit is NOT having to play the track over and over, and looking at numerous NEBULAs opened on my screen. The NVC's have changed my entire Nebula work-flow experience.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:38 pm

I have noticed your work with those neat things that control a whole group of EQ's and see stuff like that as the future of Neb for sure.

I have not as yet tried yours but I'm watching!

You guys are 'Einsteins' and I am 'Dumbo' so be patient plz.

I am also doing the beta of Trinity EQ, Acqua. Again, IMO a taste of things to come.
Yes, it surely can be a bit maddening to use a stack of Neb's each with it's own EQ band, etc. I've always thought that was a major downside of Neb.
I somehow keep dreaming in the back of my 'mind' that Giancarlo, and guys like yourself, will take this idea to a new level that will allow for a user choice of which preset lib's are loaded into which 'slot'... instead of having a unique GUI\device for only a specific preset lib. Perhaps I'm asleep and only dreaming... :roll:
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:48 pm

... will allow for a user choice of which preset lib's are loaded into which 'slot'... instead of having a unique GUI\device for only a specific preset lib. Perhaps I'm asleep and only dreaming...

I have been pondering a similar idea. :lol:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:16 pm

hopi2013 wrote:I wonder what others think about this idea and if it might be possible in Neb4:

OK, so we have in most skins some manner of OVER warning... and that can be very brief.. you might miss it...
Now I use reaper and it's meters have a 'persistent' over warning.. so that IF there is an over, the red warning stays lit until you do something to clear it.

I wonder if it might be possible to have a persistent OVER warning in Nebula? Not to replace the OVER we already have, but in addition to it.

Your thoughts?

Only useful for newcomer audio guys, after normalize levels, you can stop looking meters and mix with your ears. Nebula Man is my normalize tool and r-128 RME DigiCheck my meter tool

PS: Pro-L x4 oversampling is always in the end of the chain...
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Well, proper 'gain structure' throughout the audio chain is not just a 'newbie' concern, nor is it solved through 'normalization'.

Having a 'calibrated' monitoring system [as defined by Katz] is an essential step for many good reasons.

But even with proper headroom, the signal chain from one plugin to the next can easily lead to radical levels between them. It may not induce clipping, but we may find that the 'dynamic steps' within Nebula to not be utilized as effectively.

Since I added a 'CAL' module into my NVC controllers [as simple as it is], I've been able to 're-balance' the entire chain in a few seconds, as a chain of maybe 6 Nebula EQ's could be adding or cutting gain, I have notice [more than a possible placebo effect] that after 're-balancing', the track sounds even better. And if it is 'placebo' ... then I'd be even fine with that :lol: cause it does sound better :mrgreen: and levels are well inline.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Return to Requests