Login

the dictionary xml file

Nebula feature suggestions

the dictionary xml file

Postby hopi2013 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 am

I'd like to see some detailed info about dictionary xml file... and specifically about IF a user can alter it or add to its headings.

The reason I ask about this is that as I get more and more presets, the menu for finding them and loading them becomes very obscure.. the names often become very cryptic and in general the organization is a PITA.

For example there can be compressors in several main headings, same is true for reverbs, and EQ's, etc.

I would like to see clear headings with all the various sub types under those ... not just scattered about.

any ideas?
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: the dictionary xml file

Postby mathias » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 am

the category and subcategory entries are set by the developers.
some like tim petherick state, that you need to append the dictionary file with his entries, to get the proper categories for his programs.

i know it is a mess with many programs and i remember at least one attempt to set standards with naming, but it was not "taken" by the developers.
maybe the needs and ideas about it are too different.

you can change the categories and subcategories of programs in nat and write that back into the files, but it is a tedious handwork. i did it a while ago and now with many new programs, it is a mess again.

i don't know if zabukowski has a tool for renaming categories of programs, that works faster than the list in nat, which misses essential tools like selecting multiple programs and change them all at once.

maybe the future brings something about this issue.
we would be better of with a special browser with tagging options, where one can present the library as wanted.

best,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:24 am

Thanks for that info mathias... every bit helps!

also good to know I'm not alone in thinking this organization is really a mess. It strikes me that the AA developers never imagined the presets would grow into such a large assortment.

..or that a user would eventually have so many to pick from.

If zabukowski or anyone came up with a way to do massive re-categorization, I'd buy in a blink.
And yes, I completely agree a browser with tags would be sooooo much better.

hahaha... seems like change here is slow.. kinda like the speed of the durn website...

I can't even imagine having to change all that I have now, one at a time in NAT... and I know I don't even have all that much.

Well... perhaps giancarlo will think about this issue. It needs to be addressed as it will only get worse as more and more presets come out.
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby zabukowski » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 am

Renaming / reordering categories is not possible outside NAT. Only category descriptions can be altered using rom.xml (nebulatemprepository\dictionaries folder). These are used for Nebula plugin's pop-up menu.

NebulaMan and Setups use own dictionary files (for category descriptions and tweak names), because of several reasons: dictionary format will be extended in the future and it is 100% XML compliant. I hope in the future, standard data dictionary format for Nebula will be introduced.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby hopi2013 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:04 pm

thanks again for this info...

I hope something way better can be done with the method of browsing or listing the many various presets.

The VERY cryptic three letters 'code' is just not great.

I can see where it might have been fine in the early days of Nebula, but those are long gone.
There are now so many third party presets that list a user sees becomes a real nightmare to look into.
It is NOT USER FRIENDLY, you know?
It does not any longer even sort by simple categories.
For example, I'd like to see ALL EQ's under EQ's and that is not true anymore. Or ALL Reverbs, etc.
Take Henry Olonga's presets as a good example of what I'm saying.

I know Nebula is different than other VST's... but I think a user has come to expect a clear and simple browser of presets, where they can sort and tag things like 'favorites', or search for all EQ's or all Compressors, etc.

I really hope something better can be done in this area.
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:59 pm

I hope in the future, standard data dictionary format for Nebula will be introduced.

MUST be. We have deadlines!
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby bma25 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 pm

zabukowski wrote:Renaming / reordering categories is not possible outside NAT.

Yes it is. It's still a lot of work, but not as much as in NAT.

Here's how:
-Open the Nebula plugin in the host of your choice.
-Load the program that you would like to move to another category.
-Click "edit"
-Now you can enter a new program name, a new category/subcategory, and a new description.
-Click exit
-Click save
-Reload Nebula

Hope this helps.

Cheers
bma25
User Level I
User Level I

Postby hopi2013 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:11 am

thanks for that info... very good to know and
...very tedious isn't it? I mean even to do 20 or so presets.

IMHO this should not be that difficult.
hopi2013
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby bma25 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:54 am

Totally agree. Even 20 programs take some time. And i have 2000+ programs...
I was suggesting a better method in another thread but they don't seem to be very enthusiastic to say the least.
bma25
User Level I
User Level I

Postby zabukowski » Thu May 01, 2014 10:37 am

bma25 wrote:
zabukowski wrote:Renaming / reordering categories is not possible outside NAT.

Yes it is. It's still a lot of work, but not as much as in NAT.

Here's how:
-Open the Nebula plugin in the host of your choice.
-Load the program that you would like to move to another category.
-Click "edit"
-Now you can enter a new program name, a new category/subcategory, and a new description.
-Click exit
-Click save
-Reload Nebula

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ups, sure, thanks for pointing this out, completely forgot about it, as i've never used it for obviously reasons. :oops:

What i have in mind actually is, that there is no simple & elegant way to do it for multiple programs - for example thru ACQUA library (only description can be altered) or by editing xml text file, for example. If ACQUA library could be used for this (i have to double check this again), a tool for category organizing would be a breeze to make.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Requests