Login

Rupert N**e Designs Portico 5014 Stereo Field Editor

Nebula feature suggestions

Rupert N**e Designs Portico 5014 Stereo Field Editor

Postby FrankydT » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Rupert N**e Designs Portico 5014 Stereo Field Editor.

Can someone nebulize it?

Thanks to everyone
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Rupert N**e Designs Portico 5014 Stereo Field Editor

Postby cehas » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Yep, seconded, basically the whole 50xx line that haven't been sampled.

I think that the SFE is the same as in the Portico II MBP unit, so if anyone has access to these, PLEASE sample them. Thanks (i know this is a long shot).
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby elam » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:01 am

cehas wrote:Yep, seconded, basically the whole 50xx line that haven't been sampled.
Check AlexB Modern White series.And Henry got a couple of them too if I'm right...

On the other hand the 5014 hasn't been sampled yet.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cehas » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:07 am

elam wrote:Check AlexB Modern White series.And Henry got a couple of them too if I'm right...

On the other hand the 5014 hasn't been sampled yet.

I know, I have them all (from AlexB).

I'm really craving for the stereo field editor, the new tape emu (542) that has 30ips and the MBP. Then I would be fully RND :)

I'm not really expecting these to surface, but you can dream, right?
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby FrankydT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:39 am

In order to fill some empty spaces in Nebula emulation, I think this (or similar hardware) would be a milestone, especially for mastering (and stereo processing)
This is a very important part in audio processing still missing in the (Nebula emulation) hardware chain
(Do you want it all, right?)
Definitely not comparable to Waves S1 or similar plugins!!!
There's no contest.
Let's hope.
Or better... Cehas, you're right, we can dream!
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cehas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:48 pm

The 50xx series is a basically all you need for mixing, from start to finish. There's something very pure and addicting about the sound of these, a cross between digital purity and analog grit, and the units just melt together like no other.

I'd love to hear how this sounds.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Cupwise » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:09 pm

hate to be a party pooper, but this simply isn't possible. you could sample it, but the results wouldn't recreate what the unit actually does.

the phase buttons for each channel could be sampled and the result should work fine, but that's about it. well, the separate input level controls could also...

but the actual stereo width controls could not. the thing first converts to an m/s signal. the 'width' control is then just a gain control that allows you to gain or reduce the side portion of the separated mid/side signal. so it's really just a gain control. well, i suppose it could be doing something extra, but typically that's what the control does with these types of things, it's just a gain control that adjusts the side portion of the signal after it's been converted to m/s.

looking at the manual, it looks like the depth control may be adding a phase shift to the side portion to create something like a haas effect that when used in an m/s context could seem to alter the distance of the mid portion relative to the side portion. a control like that would be practically impossible to sample, because it's similar to a delay time control that can be smoothly adjustable. to sample it so that the smooth changes in the sound were recreated even at slight adjustments would require like a batrillion samples along just that one control.

the eq controls could be sampled. but they are just an eq, just as the width control is (most likely) simply a gain knob. the main thing about the eq/width/depth controls is that they are operating on an m/s signal, and nebula can't sample the m/s conversion, those controls, then the conversion back to an l/r signal. all that happens inside the unit before spitting a signal out, and nebula would have no idea of that. nebula wouldn't recognize that that is happening and be able to recreate those processes.

so to summarize- the width control probably is just a gain control, there really isn't any magic there (unless there is, but you can't get to it anyway because of the m/s), the depth control would require tons of samples just by itself and if a program sampled it and the other 4 controls it would literally get into the thousands easily (talking a life-time to sample), and the eq controls are, just eqs, but in an m/s context. you could maybe find a way to sample those controls and then use a plugin before nebula to do the m/s, but i just don't think it'd be worth it. the depth control seems most interesting but it'd have to be sampled by itself and it'd take an ungodly number of samples. but then if you had other programs for the other controls, to combine them together would require using what amounted to multiple passes through the unit.

heh, sorry for going on and on, but i've thought about these kinds of things too and it would be cool if there was a way to sample them so that the whole effect could be captured just within a single program, but there isn't. you'd have to do the m/s conversion with a plug and i feel like that defeats the purpose.

edit- the depth control may actually just be another gain control but for the mid signal, which just makes it boring by itself outside of the m/s context.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby FrankydT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:42 am

Thank you for the deep explanation.
Nothing less to expect from you, you're a Nebula-Sampling expert.
I've just a single observation:
It's a complicated thing to sample (except the eq and similar, common things in Nebula world, as you stated)
So, I'm thinking, as before, that it's not a simple M/S matrix like S1 or similar plugins.
I would like that something similar could be sampled.
Something similar to Ms Smith from Trascending Music, just from a real unit (96 khz too if possible) maybe more simple than the 5014, and maybe more old
No magic, indeed.
The real magic is in your head and in your hands.
Good preamps give you a hand...
No debate here, but if it's not possible to sample something similar, than I'll have to purchase a (real) 5014 (or something similar) when I'll can...
I tried one in the past and I want one of these...

Thank you again for your response and expertise
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Return to Requests