Login

difference monitor

Nebula feature suggestions

difference monitor

Postby vasquez » Fri May 14, 2010 4:46 am

i would really love to have this function implemented in nebula, sometimes a certain program is very subtle and i would precisely want to hear what's happening, for a better tweak. just an idea.
vasquez
User Level I
User Level I

Re: difference monitor

Postby subvertbeats » Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 am

Sounds like a great enhancement request!
subvertbeats
User Level I
User Level I

Postby zaminx » Fri May 14, 2010 11:01 am

great idea
zaminx
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby david1103 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 pm

fantastic idea!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 14, 2010 2:45 pm

On one hand, this would be very interesting to me as I'm always curious about stuff like this (lots of handmade little null tests on my machine).

But from a workflow perspective, I think decisions made based on the difference are utterly out of context. Why would I want to tweak the difference Nebula is making to the sound? My goal is to get the sound to where I want it not to apply X% of Nebula distortion to something. What sounds amazing and cool as a difference might be the inferior choice in the context of the mix.

I guess what I'm asking is: other than interest/testing, how does this help production? I only ask this because obviously every feature takes development time and potentially system resources, so it would need advantages to weight against those possible disadvantages.

Still an interesting idea though.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby vasquez » Fri May 14, 2010 3:57 pm

how do you know that the nebula program doesn't add artificial artifacts because of poor gain staging? i mean most of the programs have their instructions on how to use them and that's great, but in my case this feature would really help me double check the result and change the gains accordingly. As for the implementation part i don't think will be so difficult as all the processing is done.
vasquez
User Level I
User Level I

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Well whatever Nebula adds or doesn't add, artificial or not, I would think it either sounds good or it doesn't. Maybe abusing a program would sound really awesome for something in context that, if solo'd and difference'd you'd never have done because, by itself, it sounds totally "wrong".

Don't get me wrong, I solo stuff and listen to what Nebula is doing to the track, I just try not to base decisions on that information; for me, that's just to learn more about Nebula and my programs in particular. It tells me useful information about Nebula and what it's doing but it doesn't tell me much about how well that fits with the rest of the context.

So while I agree that this kind of switch would be interesting, I'm still not sure I see how it would be useful.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:30 pm

there are a great many things that could be done to make nebula easier and more productive to use. this is way down on the list. how about:

- function click and change the input volume and the output volume changes by the same amount. i do this by hand every time i use nebula and it's a waste of time.

- a/b different programs.

- display to see eq curves like in vst plugin analyser.

- display difference in input and output volume in RMS like voxengo plugins to get the levels matched to make a correct comparison.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby futur2 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:13 pm

david1103 wrote:there are a great many things that could be done to make nebula easier and more productive to use. this is way down on the list. how about:

- function click and change the input volume and the output volume changes by the same amount. i do this by hand every time i use nebula and it's a waste of time.

- a/b different programs.

- display to see eq curves like in vst plugin analyser.

- display difference in input and output volume in RMS like voxengo plugins to get the levels matched to make a correct comparison.

great post david!
futur2

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 14, 2010 10:21 pm

I would like to see a change in the MENU selector
section of NEBULA.

I have an extensive library [that seems to grow], and
'single clicking' to move through the CATs is really
starting to cause some injuries :shock:
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Requests