Login

Unload Samples option...

Nebula feature suggestions

Unload Samples option...

Postby farjedi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:24 pm

I would like an unload samples option which will totally unload everything out of Ram but retain the settings used with that program.
This will make it very usefull when exporting tracks for keeping organization of what you have processed with Nebula. Currently I will use Nebula till my Ram can't take anymore and then of course I have to export to free up resources and most importantly delete Nebula to free up Ram.
I of course can save a version of my project prior to export and deletion of Nebula under 'Bass Export' for example but it becomes clunky to keep track of things and decide to change things.
With this new feature I can keep everything within the same project and if I decide the processing wasn't quite right I simply reload (with the new feature it reloads to the setting I last left it at) and re-tweak then re-bounce.
I know this probably seems like a 32bit issue and therfore soon to be obsolete so why bother, but I'm sure it will come of use within the 64bit domain whenever exporting is necessary/desired and nebula settings want to be left in the session without taking up unecesary processing.
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Re: Unload Samples option...

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Are you sure your host doesn't support this already? Mine does (and I unload generally after each render), makes load times on projects a lot faster.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby highvoltage » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm

farjedi wrote:I would like an unload samples option which will totally unload everything out of Ram but retain the settings used with that program.
This will make it very usefull when exporting tracks for keeping organization of what you have processed with Nebula. Currently I will use Nebula till my Ram can't take anymore and then of course I have to export to free up resources and most importantly delete Nebula to free up Ram.
I of course can save a version of my project prior to export and deletion of Nebula under 'Bass Export' for example but it becomes clunky to keep track of things and decide to change things.
With this new feature I can keep everything within the same project and if I decide the processing wasn't quite right I simply reload (with the new feature it reloads to the setting I last left it at) and re-tweak then re-bounce.
I know this probably seems like a 32bit issue and therfore soon to be obsolete so why bother, but I'm sure it will come of use within the 64bit domain whenever exporting is necessary/desired and nebula settings want to be left in the session without taking up unecesary processing.

I have already asked for this feature ages ago. It would be a really good option.

But i think there was some explanation why it wouldn't work.
highvoltage

Postby farjedi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:25 pm

What host do you use? I will look into it I'm on Cubase 5 but have never heard of such a thing in all my 15 years of using it, maybe I've overlooked it.
I just don't understand why it couldn't be easily implemented but then I concur to the experts and superior knowledge ;)
Seems there is already a reload button so a button with the reverse function isn't possible?..Oh well..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby farjedi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 am

Did you mean the freeze funtion? I tried it and it doesn't seem to relinquish any ram but reduces cpu..

(it does reduce RAM but not with Nebula it seems)...
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Grim » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am

Are you sure your host doesn't support this already? Mine does (and I unload generally after each render), makes load times on projects a lot faster.

Also interested to hear how this works & in which host.

In C5 only unloading the plug-in instance frees up the ram.
Grim

Postby highvoltage » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:11 pm

so any opinion from the developers?
highvoltage

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Grim wrote:

Also interested to hear how this works & in which host.

In C5 only unloading the plug-in instance frees up the ram.

In REAPER you can set the plugin status as offline which, unlike any of the various bypasses, actually unloads it entirely. It's a toggle command so it's easy to bring them on and offline.

Bypass will stop it from using CPU but doesn't free up the memory.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby farjedi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Thats a great feature..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Fishmac » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:11 pm

I think this still wouldn't be the same as a nebula-build-in unload option.
Many Nebula Eqs are heavy because the give you many different frequency bands. It would be great if you could unload the frequency bands you don't use, once you found the right band for the task. This way you would still be able to change the gain, yet save large amounts of RAM.
Fishmac
User Level III
User Level III

Next

Return to Requests