Login

stereo to mono - ram/cpu use

Serious issues

stereo to mono - ram/cpu use

Postby david1103 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:31 pm

i don't know if this is a tech issue or bug, but when i load a stereo program and convert to mono it says its converting to mono. i then get identical cpu and ram use! should it not be half the amount?

when i press to convert back to stereo again it also says something like 'converting to mono' which much just be a typo.

other plugins also in cubase know if it is stereo channel and go into mono mode automatically. can nebula do this and save 50% resources?

THANKS.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: stereo to mono - ram/cpu use

Postby highvoltage » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:40 pm

i dont quite understand your last sentence, but i know that cubase is not good in mixing mono/stereo plugins on one channel.
If you insert a nebula on a stereo channel, it will process it in stereo no matter if your nebula program is actually mono.

(if you insert a mono plugin on a stereo channel it will only process the left signal. cubase is really beyond the competitors in that department)

So i guess you should use nebula on mono channels so you dont have to convert the programs.
highvoltage

Postby enriquesilveti » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Hello David1103. Nebula mono mode means that L kernels are load into R. So you have dual mono processing through L kernels in both inputs (L and R).

When you switch from mono mode to stereo mode Nebula says "converting to mono" but this is a know issue.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby david1103 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 pm

i just read the manual and was about to post and say sorry for my misunderstanding... lucky i didn't get a RTFM :)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we get a proper mono version of the plugin that uses *only* the left or right kernals (maybe with core 3?)! it could save 100% of cpu if all your tracks are mono and double your computer power! strange no-one has been talking about this major limitation.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:45 pm

nebula is optimized for stereo processing only. Mono mode means that the same IR/kernel is used both for left and right channel, and this is useful not for saving resources, but for a perfectly balanced sound. The kernel engine is a bit optimized on that, when mono mode is engaged it saves SOMETHING, but still a stereo processing. We could save resources for mono processing, but it would not make a sense really. I could release better things with the same effort, for example a "true" stereo processing (instead of optimized mono processing). So I don't think we'll optimized that. Keep in mind that many optimization modes are using SSE instructions for optimizing both left and right channel at the same time, so just keeping one of them would not save resources.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Return to Bugs