Login

Nebula is crashing

Serious issues

Re: Nebula is crashing

Postby waffleneck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:56 pm

I have encountered a similar problem.

I recently installed HO, bringing my preset count above 4000.
Nebula VST64 works fine under JBridge.
Nebula AU32 stopped working under Vienna Ensemble Pro.
Same thing, plugin * but clicking INIT causes crash.

I own five libraries that won't work under VST64 because of serial malfunction. These same libraries worked fine in AU32.
MammothEQ, Fate EQ and Comp, Doc Fear, and Snap Comp.
This is one problem that necessitates using AU32.

I can make AU32 run by removing over half of my Prog/Vect folder contents. If there was an option in the Nebula Setups program to create copies of the AU, I'd be fine. But all you can do with that application is create VST copies. Vienna Ensemble Pro won't do VSTs.

Of course, a 64 bit AU that accepts serials for all libraries that require them would be the ultimate solution to all this...

I run Motu DP8.05 @ 64bit on OSX10.6.8 on a quad 3.0 Mac Pro 1,1 with 24 GB RAM and SSD boot drive.
Amber, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue, D361, Emerald, EQP1, Green, Honey, Ivory, Magenta, Navy, Nebula, Ochre, Orange, Pearl, Pink, Pink Bundle, Purple Bundle, Red, Scarlet, Silk, Tan, Titanium, Trinity, Ultramarine, White
waffleneck
User Level X
User Level X

Postby faxesystem » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Yesterday after setting up my iMac fresh I recognized the same behaviour. I tried to narrow it down what was different now and it was the "all you can eat bundle" by Henry Olonga.

So I tried to narrow things down.

1. I deleted everything and just installed the "all you can eat bundle" --> working Nebula
2. I installed some more libraries step by step. After each install testing if Nebula still loads up.
3. After some more libraries Nebula crashed. So I deleted the last installed library and Nebula worked again.
4. Installed another library and Nebula was still working.
5. Another library more the crash was back.
6. I deleted everything except this last library and Nebula was working again.

AND THAN IT HIT ME!!! TOO MANY FILES FOR NEBULA!!!

I installed the "all you can eat" bundle again and slowy installed more and more libraries until the crash occured. Then I just deleted parts of the last library until the crash stopped.

So I have 1496 files in my Vector folder and 1544 files in my Programs folder. If I just put one more n2v and n2p in each folder Nebula is crashing independed of the library where I took the last n2v/n2p files.

So is this an easy to fix thing or is this a restriction because of the 32bit architecture?
faxesystem
User Level III
User Level III

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:23 pm

So we can say that the issue is not related with a specific library if not with the number of libraries that AU can load or see.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby faxesystem » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:43 pm

Problems are with both. 32bit Vst and 32bit Au. Since I don't have the Server Nebula I can't say anything about 64Bit. But as described in the post before mine, 64Bit seems to load fine with a large ammount of libraries. I could gladly test with 64Bit with a free upgrade to server. :roll:

Seems really like being a problem with the 32bit architecture.
faxesystem
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Melon_Jack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:37 am

I have 172 libraries from Henry left to test. On this moment - all perfect. Seems like it was problem with one of guitar libs, which has problems while extraction... but i need to check this..
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby faxesystem » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:45 am

I had no extraction problems and can replicate the problem with any library when it hits the file boundary. It's not about the ammount of installed libraries since one library could consist of only one n2p and one n2v but the ammount of used files.

For me it is the "all you can eat bundle" + mammoth + doc fear + any bigger library (NTenAt4 or FateEQ or ApeEq) and the crash is happening.
faxesystem
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Henry Olonga » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 am

Sorry to come late to this party guys but it's been the holidays. I probably need to get a bit more up to speed with the issue and will read through thoroughly but am I getting the impression that it is a hard limit once one reaches a certain number of files? Also use WinZip to extract your files as that is what I use to compress them. It is what I use to archive and will be almost 100% guaranteed to work as long as your download is not corrupt. Other free zip utilities may not do a perfect job, especially on Mac. In fact most issues of unzipping issues seem to stem more on the Mac side for what it is worth and most customers find relief when they just use Winzip. As far as the large number of files goes one thing to try to circumvent this is to make a separate dll for my library. I know it sounds like a pain but it will keep that number reasonable and you may find it simpler as well to find stuff. Load times will also be reduced. Consider Zabukowskis Nebulasetups

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=337

or do it manually. I think there is a tutorial on the site about making your own versions of the plugin for specific purposes - Enrique is brilliant at doing tutorials so search. As Enrique has suggested, a clean flush does help. Anything beyond that then please answer some questions such as Nebula version and number of files in the vectors repository.

For what it is worth I think Giancarlo removed the limitation in a specific version of Nebula. I currently have about 6500 programs in my Regular Nebula with other third party libraries and 5042 in my own libraries Nebula version and everything loads up fine. So it is possible that you may have a version that has re-introduced the file limit issue? My version 1.3.492. I have stayed on this version for a while as it fits my needs. I use Windows 7 64 bit but everything I do is 32 bit. DAW, Nebula and plugins - all 32 bit.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

faxesystem wrote:I installed the "all you can eat" bundle again and slowy installed more and more libraries until the crash occured. Then I just deleted parts of the last library until the crash stopped.

So I have 1496 files in my Vector folder and 1544 files in my Programs folder. If I just put one more n2v and n2p in each folder Nebula is crashing independed of the library where I took the last n2v/n2p files.

faxesystem thank you for the report! We need an extra work for you. Go Nebula and click inside LCD > L (right upper corner). You will see the list. Please, we need to know the number that Nebula list show in the left side of the last emulation preset before start to crash. Please check each format (VST, AU,etc) and each architecture (x86, x64, etc) and report each by each with the left Nebula list number. Also check if the number change between sequencers.
Enrique Silveti.

UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Henry Olonga wrote:Sorry to come late to this party guys but it's been the holidays. I probably need to get a bit more up to speed with the issue and will read through thoroughly but am I getting the impression that it is a hard limit once one reaches a certain number of files? Also use WinZip to extract your files as that is what I use to compress them. It is what I use to archive and will be almost 100% guaranteed to work as long as your download is not corrupt. Other free zip utilities may not do a perfect job, especially on Mac. In fact most issues of unzipping issues seem to stem more on the Mac side for what it is worth and most customers find relief when they just use Winzip. As far as the large number of files goes one thing to try to circumvent this is to make a separate dll for my library. I know it sounds like a pain but it will keep that number reasonable and you may find it simpler as well to find stuff. Load times will also be reduced. Consider Zabukowskis Nebulasetups

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=337

or do it manually. I think there is a tutorial on the site about making your own versions of the plugin for specific purposes - Enrique is brilliant at doing tutorials so search. As Enrique has suggested, a clean flush does help. Anything beyond that then please answer some questions such as Nebula version and number of files in the vectors repository.

For what it is worth I think Giancarlo removed the limitation in a specific version of Nebula. I currently have about 6500 programs in my Regular Nebula with other third party libraries and 5042 in my own libraries Nebula version and everything loads up fine. So it is possible that you may have a version that has re-introduced the file limit issue? My version 1.3.492. I have stayed on this version for a while as it fits my needs. I use Windows 7 64 bit but everything I do is 32 bit. DAW, Nebula and plugins - all 32 bit.

Last report is all Nebula can load 10.000 but start to crash around 8500. In AU you can not create alias Nebula versions. I don't think is a x86 architecture limitation.

Creating multiple versions of Nebula: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=690
Enrique Silveti.

UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Hmmm no aliases for AU will be a problem to solve this quickly. Is there a way around this limit in the long run? To be honest there is so much in my bundle that it may be wise to chose things that may be of use to you often. I have sooooo many libraries of my own and others and find myself using the usual suspect more often than not. A*I, N**e, GML, Helios. so You can go through the bundle and get rid of some stuff like the quick mix stuff if you want to stay simple. Or Mics that you won't use.
Up to you but until the limitation is dealt with I can see no other way.
SO can I presume that the issues are more with the limit rather than there being anything wrong with my libraries? It's the first time I have heard of it but then again, the bundle has thousands of files. Peace
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs