Login

64-bit and 32-bit Coexistence

Serious issues

64-bit and 32-bit Coexistence

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:52 pm

I just upgraded my test system to .600 (OS X - Macbook Pro running Mt. Lion). Only one issue to report from the installation:
I use a 32-bit DAW; when I installed .600 I could only load the 64-bit VST inside REAPER (bridged, which did load successfully), it didn't see the 32-bit versions at all (which I confirmed were installed in the usual place). Then I deleted the 64-bit folder, restarted the DAW and then REAPER was able to see the 32-bit VST.

In both cases REAPER was able to see the 32-bit AU (which seemed to also load fine).

ETA: I'm really just wondering if this is expected behavior, I don't have a personal need for both 32 and 64-bit installations (though perhaps others will).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: 64-bit and 32-bit Coexistence

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:37 pm

I am on PC, so that means VST, so my thoughts may be irrelevant..... But when I fist got into Nebula and wanted both 32 and 64bit for Reaper 32 and 64bit, Mercado showed me that 2 things were necessary. The 32bit needs to be scanned first (in the order you set up in reaper to scan), and the dll's need to be named identically so that you can go back and forth between the 2 Reapers and each Reaper will only see the right architecture, making your projects equally compatible with either set-up. Good luck!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Ah okay, so maybe that is intended I'm just not used to having 32-bit and 64-bit in the same installer. Fair enough.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:16 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Ah okay, so maybe that is intended I'm just not used to having 32-bit and 64-bit in the same installer. Fair enough.

The Nebula installers are not including both 32 and 64bit in one installer.... are you referring to the 2 folders created with the new server? Those are both 64bit, actually, if you are running the 64bit installer. I still haven't figured that part out either, but they are indeed all 64bit. You need to run the 32bit installer still to get the 32bit Nebula. I was talking about how you can get both Reapers to see both Nebulas properly after you get them installed.......
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:57 pm

richie43 wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:Ah okay, so maybe that is intended I'm just not used to having 32-bit and 64-bit in the same installer. Fair enough.

The Nebula installers are not including both 32 and 64bit in one installer.... are you referring to the 2 folders created with the new server? Those are both 64bit, actually, if you are running the 64bit installer. I still haven't figured that part out either, but they are indeed all 64bit. You need to run the 32bit installer still to get the 32bit Nebula. I was talking about how you can get both Reapers to see both Nebulas properly after you get them installed.......

Well that's kind of the root of the issue, the installer in question is labeled:
"Setup-Upgrade Nebula3 Server Mac OSX x86 x64 1.3.600"
So is it x86 or x64? (For that matter is it a Setup or Upgrade?)

Here's what it says below that under contents:
"AU/VST 32-bit
VST 64-bit"
So would that not lead you to believe that it contained both 32-bit and 64-bit installations?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Hey, my mistake, sort of. I forgot that you are on a Mac, I am on a PC. You are correct about the Mac installers, so I apologize for making this thread unnecessarily confusing!!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby thepalalias » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Here's a couple things about the Mac installer.

- Right after you choose the install location on the "select destination" page in the installer and click "continue" in the lower right corner, there will be "customize" button toward the bottom center.

- If you click the customize button you can choose which components install and only use the VST version (x86 vs x64) you need. This may be helpful.

And regarding Reaper, what Rich mentions can work: but it's much better on Windows than OS X. On Windows that 32-bit and 64-bit VST plug-ins are normally all stored in entirely different folders. Under OS X, Acustica and Acustica64 are both sub-folders of the same VST folder.

- Reaper's detection system is primarily based on the filename. While scan order can be used, I normally simply rename one set of plug-ins. So since I primarily use the 64-bit version, the x86 plugins are given named "x86 PLUG-IN NAME".

- Of course with that system is that if you open your Reaper session in the other platform (x86 vs x64) the it will still try to load the same version of the plug-in bridged. So what Rich mentions is sometimes still easier for Windows users (but I still use it on Windows, too).

- The advantage of my system for OS X users is that you don't have to completely change your Reaper plug-in paths approach (which is a lot less practical under OS X).

Hope that helps!
thepalalias
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Hmm thanks for the info. I did not notice (or I should say I don't recall noticing) directing the installation with any "Customize" control so I probably just didn't install it correctly; I'll look into that. But it sounds like, after all, this is all intentional and there's no bug at all just the way installers work has changed a bit. No problems there.

As far as getting them to coexist, it's not something I need at all; I was under the impression it was possible (though I did not recall that a workaround was required to pull it off) and it seems that it still might be albeit with whatever workarounds are needed.

Richie: My test environment is my MBP; I haven't touched any of my production environments yet, waiting for some more testing and feedback.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby thepalalias » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 pm

@ngarjuna The most recent 1.3.600 build for Mac (the one from the 9th) is the first Mac version that hasn't crashed at any point during my testing (unless you count one time that was a user error where I renamed the XML file incorrectly - but that was undeniably my fault :)

There was an earlier 1.3.600 released a little before that, that had some problems so if you downloaded before the 9th, download again.

At this point, the Mac version seems to have matched the stability of previous Windows versions. Note that I have only tested the 64-bit VST.

I'm using the 64-bit VST from the same time on my Windows machine but haven't kept a close eye on stability (it may or may not have crashed, I just haven't been keeping track on that one). I will say that it's sufficiently stable on my system (Reaper x64 4.52 on Windows 7) for me to have used it as my only Nebula version on that system for the last 3 days.
thepalalias
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Bugs